Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I got the same thing today with my woman. She said she got the feeling everyone was staring at us in WalMart. I only counted two or three weird looks though. Malls might be a bit more interesting, Simon Malls are unfriendly. I talked to the security guard the other day, and he basically told me not to OC at the UP Mall, or he would have to ask me to leave. This is coming from someone I sort of know! (He hangs out in the Gamestop where my girlfriend works). But, you have to get used to it somewhere. If she is anything like most woman, a mall is where she is going to feel the most at home :rolleyes:

The Greenwood Park Mall is one of the very first places I OC'd... immersion therapy. I never got a single complaint, dirty look, or any confrontation...

I've been there many, many, many times now while OC'ing my USP 40, and it's been the same every time. I guess the one mall guard out there that's willing to throw me out hasn't been around :)

johnsmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Oh, that reminds me of a nice encounter I had with an elderly gentleman in one of the motorized chairs at the Terre Haute east WalMart yesterday...

I had just picked up a box of power bars and put them in the cart and was still kinda glancing at the other options on the shelves when he appeared around the corner, pausing because I was in the aisle and there wasn't room for him to slip by. As I started to move my cart out of the way, he quipped, "since I see you're carrying, I'll not yell at you for being in my way."

I smiled.

"You got a badge to go with that?"

"No, sir."

"Ah, just carrying on the regular permit."

I decided not to press the permit/license issue, replying simply, "Yep."

We had a nice chat about things you have to think about when you OC — situational awareness, basically — and how he was "old fashioned" in his preference for wheel guns. "If I can't get it done with 6 shots..." I told him I thought he was going to go with, "I'm old fashioned, so I prefer the 1911," but he says he doesn't like semi-autos. To each his own.

It was a really nice chat. I've said it before, but it's worth re-saying: if you don't want to talk to people about guns, don't let people know you're carrying. But if you're OC'ing, it's a good idea to be in a state of mind that allows you to pause to talk to people about it. If I'd been in a hurry, I would've it covered up. When you OC, you really are an ambassador for gun owners everywhere, and the way you conduct yourself should foster an attitude of "who cares?" within the public about seeing guns in public places.

Good for you. You are an ambassador. I hope to see you at a Fort Wayne meeting in the very near future.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I wanted to post this yesterday, but didn't get online to do so. I went to GenCon yesterday, but didn't carry in the convention center. I would have if my camera bag wasn't so full (believe me, I tried to shove it in without it being conspicuous). I definitely slid it back onto my belt when I got back to the car.

I did, then, OC into Wally World in Columbus out by the interstate after picking up the wife from work. Which one of you was at the sporting goods counter talking guns to a couple of guys waiting for help? I saw you reveal your CC'd glock. I doubt you saw my OC. Nobody else seemed to.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I wanted to post this yesterday, but didn't get online to do so. I went to GenCon yesterday, but didn't carry in the convention center. I would have if my camera bag wasn't so full (believe me, I tried to shove it in without it being conspicuous). I definitely slid it back onto my belt when I got back to the car.

I did, then, OC into Wally World in Columbus out by the interstate after picking up the wife from work. Which one of you was at the sporting goods counter talking guns to a couple of guys waiting for help? I saw you reveal your CC'd glock. I doubt you saw my OC. Nobody else seemed to.

I didn't even realize GenCon was going on. I used to go every year to play in MTG events and check out the new board games. I wonder what the LARPers would thing about your actual weapon while they were carrying foam swords!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I can say that they definitely wouldn't let you in OCing. I was not in costume all the better to blend in and snap pictures. But I've been considering a costume for the future that would include not only the overt costume guns, but an ability to CC integrated.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I can say that they definitely wouldn't let you in OCing. I was not in costume all the better to blend in and snap pictures. But I've been considering a costume for the future that would include not only the overt costume guns, but an ability to CC integrated.

Maybe I'll go as Guile from Street Fighter... that could work..

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    OCd to the Barnes and Noble in the UP mall. Well, more to the StarBucks in there, its cheaper than any of the other locations. I untucked my shirt and did the little hybrid carry thing when I went into the mall. I have been told before not to OC there, and I was in a hurry, so I figured I would avoid the trouble. Oh, and I also OCd at the range, of course.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Yesterday my usual OC to McDonalds. Had a nice conversation with a guy who asked what my weapon was and thought only concealed carry was allowed. I corrected him, turns out he was hassled by cops in Fort Wayne for OC and charged with brandishing. The charges were latter dropped but what a freakin hassle to go through.

I haven't OCd to any bookstores yet. Not sure how Barnes and Noble or Borders in NW Indiana will react and I like being in bookstores. Then again, once I get an ereader I can still get my reading fix enough without being in there so maybe I'll OC then heh.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...he was hassled by cops in Fort Wayne for OC and charged with brandishing. The charges were latter dropped but what a freakin hassle to go through.

Brandishing? :n00b:

What do they think this is, Texas? :draw:

I love it when charges are "dropped" because they didn't even exist. ;)

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Discount Tire while waiting to have my tires rotated and balanced. Sat and walked abound the waiting room with my PF-9 in an IWB holster with shirt tucked behind it. Didn't think anyone noticed.

dhitman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I have a question for all of you OC'rs out there.
    When you OC do you only have your gun and holster exposed or do you have your additional 2 or 4 mags in the open as well?
    My first post be gentle !

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a question for all of you OC'rs out there.
    When you OC do you only have your gun and holster exposed or do you have your additional 2 or 4 mags in the open as well?
    My first post be gentle !

Welcome to INGO!

To answer your question: I normally don't have extra mags with me, but when I do, they are typically also out in the open just because I'm on my way to a range.

To make a suggestion: Your question is a good one to put into a new thread in the Carry Issues and Self Defense section. That way we can discuss the issue at length while allowing this particular thread to stay mostly on the topic of its title.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    I will never open carry again. I learned my lesson about a year ago.

I went to the range to shoot for a while and needed to stop at Wal-Mart. I did not want to leave my gun in my car, and the clothes I was wearing were not friendly to conceal the gun. So, I stuck it on my belt in the holster and went in. Someone saw it and freaked out and called the police. There I am getting some stuff for my boat and when 3 police offices ask me to slowly place my hands on my head. They checked me and my LTCH and that was that. The officer said just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

Needless to say... never again.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I will never open carry again. I learned my lesson about a year ago.

The officer said just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

Needless to say... never again.

I personally think you learned a very poor lesson.

I'd need that one rammed with a bit more authority before I was forced to buy into it.

But you certainly don't have to ever again.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    I personally think you learned a very poor lesson.

Im glad people can open carry, but for me, I would rather not have to worry about someone getting scared and dialing 911 over it. I did not open carry because I wanted to, I just did not want to leave my gun in my car.

I would rather no one know I have a gun on me. Im not sure if open carrying really deters crime or if it opens you up to becoming a potential victim yourself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom