• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Here's a good visual. You can see the two pieces of brass in the air right next to each other and the gun is flat. Also, you can see the distance to the target. Those were aimed shots and they hit.

3542691425_f984758d19.jpg

This guy was using this technique or was he just double tapping? I'd bet he's VERY VERY good at double tapping.

I just don't see how removing your finger from the face of the trigger is any better when doing a DT.

I HAVE bumped my '74 and my AR with the 2-stage NM trigger and I HAVE experienced a failure to reset but in bumping, you're holding your finger still so you can't really practice this. That and the fact that bumping is silly anyway.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I dont know what you guys call a double tap ? Put a double tap in LEO training is one shot to Center of mass and one shot to the head, This is taught because of the avalibility of body armour. I hope this helps, sorry if i muddied up your post.:wavey:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This guy was using this technique or was he just double tapping? I'd bet he's VERY VERY good at double tapping.

I just don't see how removing your finger from the face of the trigger is any better when doing a DT.

I HAVE bumped my '74 and my AR with the 2-stage NM trigger and I HAVE experienced a failure to reset but in bumping, you're holding your finger still so you can't really practice this. That and the fact that bumping is silly anyway.

Slapping is not bumping. Moving the finger off is better because the trigger will certainly be reset.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell

That's me, and I was slapping it on that target. As I said before, both of those were aimed shots. The second shot was fired when the sights came back together on the target. Removing your finger all the way is just one way to exaggerate the movement to ensure you don't run into trigger freeze. I usually don't pull my finger all the way off of the trigger, but the trigger does go all the way out past the reset by quite a lot.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I am going to try this Thursday evening at the range. I noticed that James Yeager, in his tactical response DVD (pistol) makes deliberate trigger pulls when showing within 5' shots as well.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am going to try this Thursday evening at the range. I noticed that James Yeager, in his tactical response DVD (pistol) makes deliberate trigger pulls when showing within 5' shots as well.

I think you will like it. The thing about pulling the trigger is to pull it or squeeze it straight back and not to disturb the sights while doing so. Easier to say than to do. The right amount of finger on the trigger will help, but bring the trigger straight back.

The lighter the trigger the easier it will be, but it can be done on any trigger.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    In order for it to be an aimed second shot, you need to be able to watch the sights lift and return to the target on every shot. If you don't see that, then you're just pulling the trigger twice on one sight picture. Seeing the sights move might sound crazy at first, because you think the slide is moving fast, but there's a good drill to help you with that and you'll be amazed at what you can see in so little time.

Do this: Load up a few mags, and pick a spot on the berm, not a target. Just empty a mag into that spot on the berm as fast as you can while keeping your eyes open and watching how the sights move. The key is keeping your eyes open while you shoot and this will show whether or not you do. Once you establish that, pay special attention to how the front sight tracks up and down while the gun cycles. If your grip is solid, the front sight should settle right back into the rear sight and be on target. You'll probably need to start slow between each shot, but with practice you'll be able to follow up quicker and quicker with the next aimed shot.

Doing this will show any weaknesses in your grip, further stressing the importance of a proper grip as emphasized in other threads. If you have to re-grip the gun between shots or the sights don't return consistently, then you have a grip issue that you need to sort out before going further.

I hope this is helpful.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Is this 'doable' with a Glock? Really, since there is that 'safety' that must be pressed to allow the swing back, will that slight 'bump' hinder the shot? Or am I worrying about nothing?

In order for it to be an aimed second shot, you need to be able to watch the sights lift and return to the target on every shot. If you don't see that, then you're just pulling the trigger twice on one sight picture. Seeing the sights move might sound crazy at first, because you think the slide is moving fast, but there's a good drill to help you with that and you'll be amazed at what you can see in so little time.

Do this: Load up a few mags, and pick a spot on the berm, not a target. Just empty a mag into that spot on the berm as fast as you can while keeping your eyes open and watching how the sights move. The key is keeping your eyes open while you shoot and this will show whether or not you do. Once you establish that, pay special attention to how the front sight tracks up and down while the gun cycles. If your grip is solid, the front sight should settle right back into the rear sight and be on target. You'll probably need to start slow between each shot, but with practice you'll be able to follow up quicker and quicker with the next aimed shot.

Doing this will show any weaknesses in your grip, further stressing the importance of a proper grip as emphasized in other threads. If you have to re-grip the gun between shots or the sights don't return consistently, then you have a grip issue that you need to sort out before going further.

I hope this is helpful.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you sir!
    I am all over this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Going after this Thursday evening for sure. I'd like a constant 'grip critiquing'!

No promises, but I'll try to make it.
    Maybe bring some dummy rounds?

I have a 22/45 that hopefully will have some new "guts" by then and need some wringing out.

Top Bottom