• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've never heard this really addressed. I seen a video showing the P250 being 'ran through the numbers', I think on Sig's website and the guy was 'tapping'.

Does this work best with DAO or DA/SA tiggered guns? or, does this make a sense only on a polymer or stiker fired gun?

Rhino mentioned it in the pistol class (ACT); but never went into any detail. (other than to discourage it for what we were doing at the time)

With practice, does the trigger tap make a more effective and safer 'live/hot' engagement, as you are actually releasing and removing your finger off the trigger after every shot fired?

Last edited:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    WTF? Are we saying to allow the trigger to reset and then remove your finger from the trigger? What happened to moving your finger forward just enough to allow it to reset?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    On the defensive rifle class, it was suggested for rapid close quarters shots. I don't recall it coming up during the defensive pistol class.

ETA: I think the reason given was to achieve a rapid reset and follow up shot(s) while minimizing the possibility of not getting the trigger reset or slowing your cadence of shots when shooting close under pressure.

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Next wave of gimmicks waiting for someone to make it work.

Please allow Rhino or ObiJohn to answer. No more cocky responses unless you actually know what you are talking about. Really. Every thread you are in, results in arguments...

Your first post to my question was 'WTF'? For someone who knows it all, you sure do work hard to make sure people think you don't.

Now, go argue somewhere else on a different thread while I await real responses from real experienced and knowledgable souls, and stop forcing yourself off as 'knowing'.

I am about to chalk up another one to the 'ignore' list.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Despite my "offensive" WTF there was merit to my post. You can obviously tell I'm curious as well. If you only wanted the opinion of Rhino and one other, perhaps a PM would have been better?

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    timmytrigger.gif

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    On the defensive rifle class, it was suggested for rapid close quarters shots. I don't recall it coming up during the defensive pistol class.

ETA: I think the reason given was to achieve a rapid reset and follow up shot(s) while minimizing the possibility of not getting the trigger reset or slowing your cadence of shots when shooting close under pressure.
    This is pretty much correct. When shooting really fast from reset, there is always the chance of getting what is called "trigger freeze" which is pulling the trigger a second time without letting it reset. Slapping the trigger is way around trigger freeze. It works on close up shots well because you don't have to worry about disturbing the sights as much as you would on a farther target. It tends to be seen as a bad thing, but with enough practice slapping the trigger can be done accurately on farther shots.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This is pretty much correct. When shooting really fast from reset, there is always the chance of getting what is called "trigger freeze" which is pulling the trigger a second time without letting it reset. Slapping the trigger is way around trigger freeze. It works on close up shots well because you don't have to worry about disturbing the sights as much as you would on a farther target. It tends to be seen as a bad thing, but with enough practice slapping the trigger can be done accurately on farther shots.

Ahhh...
    This is something I will not be practicing... :)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am not nocking it as a technique...
    It is just a technique I will not be practicing.
    Generally when I do have to shoot it is because I am in very bad neighborhoods... I can not afford a malfunction.

Plus this is why my carbine has a third spot...

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Here's a good visual. You can see the two pieces of brass in the air right next to each other and the gun is flat. Also, you can see the distance to the target. Those were aimed shots and they hit.

3542691425_f984758d19.jpg

Does the 'slap' work with DAO's or SAO's like CZs or Sigs? I have G19s and feel confident for where I am at in my training/drills but want to open my eyes a little bit more. Which is why the ?? came up.

Can you explain a little more?

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Does the 'slap' work with DAO's or SAO's like CZs or Sigs? I have G19s and feel confident for where I am at in my training/drills but want to open my eyes a little bit more. Which is why the ?? came up.

Can you explain a little more?
    It will work on anything with a trigger.

Double tapping it is not. That infers only one sight picture for two shots. This is an aimed pair. I was watching the sights the whole time. When the front sight settles back into the rear and they're on target, you fire the second shot.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Slapping the trigger and riding the reset are techniques for pulling the trigger. Controlled pairs and double taps and the hammer and other such shooting exercises can be done with either technique of pulling the trigger.

Slapping, as has already been explained, prevents trigger freeze from occuring. This is exactly the way to pull the trigger when the work requires speed. Trigger freeze in a critical incident is not a good thing.

Squeezing on the first shot and riding the reset is in order when precision is demanded.

Slapping can be done effectively at pretty significant distances 15-17 yards for example. Slapping sounds like a violent action for trigger work but it is somewhat misleading.

I slap the tigger 90-95% of the time and have so far never failed to leave a bad neighborhood in one piece.:)

Top Bottom