• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hjarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Denver,in
    I bet there are already threads on this but what do you guys think is the right time to pull out your pistol . If your in let's say some sort of store that's being robbed if no one is being hurt is it best to keep it in the holster or pull it out like dirty harry

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I will only pull when someone's life is threatened. Priority to me and mine, of course. If the BG is threatening to harm another, I give it serious thought. If the idiot is just taking someone else's money and running, I just watch. If the BG orders folks to another room, or to the floor, etc. I look for my chance to take him out.

Of course this is all just Walter Mitty theorizing. Never been in such a situation and I practice high situational awareness to avoid having to make that choice.

And I am not joking. Folks learn by asking questions. The only "stupid" question is the one that is not asked. If one person is asking, there is a high probability that others would like to ask but are afraid of being mocked for asking it. I ask a lot of stupid questions. Respectfully, cut the guy some slack. He is trying to learn from the experts on INGO, as am I.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I bet there are already threads on this but what do you guys think is the right time to pull out your pistol . If your in let's say some sort of store that's being robbed if no one is being hurt is it best to keep it in the holster or pull it out like dirty harry

FIFY. It's best to evaluate the situation and make your own decisions, it's never good to go all Hollywood. Remain within the law or you will remain within the news cycle and a cell.

As Harrison Ford said recently to Donald Trump, "It's a movie, it's not like that in real life, but how would you know" or words to that effect.

Hjarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Denver,in
    No jokes I'm just curious of what most guys think is the right time or wrong time to unholster your weapon I personally feel that if I feel if theres a threat to life to me or anyone around me would be a good time. But if I'm in a store and some guy walks in picks up a bag of chips and tries to leave without paying I don't feel like it would be a good idea to hold him at gun point just wanted to see what most guys think

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you think you might need to use it, it should be in your hand. If it's not you may be late to the gun fight.

Shoplifting is usually handled by loss prevention. I don't think stealing a bag of chips rises to the level of a forcible felony. Now, if he walks in grabs the clerk and tries to drag her out of the store it would be different. If he drew a weapon and held it on the clerk to take the chips it would be different.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Here is an example of when not to pull a firearm:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/400461-woman-loses-license-carry-after-shooting-shoplifters.html

Your carry gun is primarily to be used for self-defense. Are you legitimately in fear for your life or serious bodily harm? Is someone in your family in similar jeopardy? Is someone invading your home, already a violent act even without the imminent physical threat? Every shooting will be reviewed by the legal system to determine if you should be charged, so knowing where the boundaries are is something that every gun owner should know. Even if the justice system doesn't charge you, there is still the possibility of being civilly sued by the perp or their family.

Using your gun in the wrong situation or doing it poorly and hitting innocent bystanders, even with the best of intentions, will cause you problems. You might want to consider Guy Relford's Indiana Gun Laws course which answers these types of questions.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    If you are pointing a weapon at me, you have gone too far.

I have seen too many investigative reports and crime shows where it starts as a robbery, they get what they want, then shoot / kill you anyway.

EDIT: lol, Expat scooped me while I was typing!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IC is pretty clear on this. You may prevent or stop:
    - Forcible felony
    - serious bodily injury
    - unlawful entry of home or occupied motor vehicle
    - hijacked airplane

Probably best to keep it holstered (from a self defense perspective) otherwise. The only grey area (for me) is the 'serious bodily injury'. What counts for me may not count for someone else.

Lots of non-self-defense scenarios, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    IC is pretty clear on this. You may prevent or stop:
    - Forcible felony
    - serious bodily injury
    - unlawful entry of home or occupied motor vehicle
    - hijacked airplane

Probably best to keep it holstered (from a self defense perspective) otherwise. The only grey area (for me) is the 'serious bodily injury'. What counts for me may not count for someone else.

Lots of non-self-defense scenarios, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking.

IANAL.

My personal perspective is that drawing the firearm is equivalent to discharging the firearm, in terms of the threat of deadly force I'm presenting. Therefore, to draw my firearm, I must be justified to use my firearm.

In the context of the circumstances in which deadly force is justified, as listed above, consider the "deadly force triangle": ability, opportunity, and jeopardy. Only if all three are present is deadly force justified.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    IANAL.

My personal perspective is that drawing the firearm is equivalent to discharging the firearm, in terms of the threat of deadly force I'm presenting. Therefore, to draw my firearm, I must be justified to use my firearm.

In the context of the circumstances in which deadly force is justified, as listed above, consider the "deadly force triangle": ability, opportunity, and jeopardy. Only if all three are present is deadly force justified.

:yesway:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    IANAL.

Much better stated than "If you're going to pull it, you had better use it, otherwise don't pull it". Utter and complete BS.

Hey OP - have you had any formal firearms training?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When is the right time to pull out your pistol?

When it's consensual. A "maybe" from her is not the same as "yes".

Top Bottom