• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmsnell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Indy
    I use a manual wheelchair and am curious which organizations are wheelchair friendly and/or have a wheelchair division? I'm not interested in a shiny trophy, just looking for some fun competition on something other than what your standard range offers. Can anyone offer insight to possible accessibility issues on IDPA or IPSC courses?

Thanks!

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just thinking right away, I'd say you should be good with any Steel Challenge matches (now a division of USPSA). The few matches I've shot, you stand in place. Not a lot of movement.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    USPSA is wheelchair friendly! The rules are set up to deal with this issue specifically! You won't be disappointed.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wheelchair Competition

I have shot in 2 IDPA matchs where wheelchair bound competitors did shoot .
    IDPA does not have a classificaton for handicapped shooters to my knowledge , but both matchs made special exceptians for the shooters on courses that had a lot of movement .
    This may be something that You could write to IDPA national offices about and see what they have to say in regards to handicapped shooters.
    Good luck

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I agree with jonny, give steel a try. There are quite a few clubs in Indiana that have monthly steel matches. If you are in or near Indy give Marion county fish and game a try. They shoot from a static line with no movement.

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    I have never been to an IDPA match with a wheelchair shooter, but every match director that I know would make an exception for wheelchair shooters. Where are you located.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    My RO class instructor told us about a guy who competed with his holster bolted to his wheelchair at the USPSA nationals. I also know of a master class Open shooter with one leg.

jmsnell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Indy
    Thanks for the quick responses and info!

I'm located downtown Indy. I've been thinking about getting a membership to that range, I assume that's the same location as the USPSA matches? These are usually once a month or so, right?

As far as IDPA and IPSC matches go, are they usually on paved or dirt ground? I'm definitely not adverse to moving around, just trying to figure out if I can from an accessibility point of view.

I've been considering mounting a holster on a rail of my chair for open carry, but most places I go wouldn't be what I consider open carry friendly. I know IDPA requires concealed holster, is USPSA open or optional?

Is there some sort of summary of all the different shooting organizations?

Thanks again for all of the information.

EDIT: Do you have to join Marion County Game and Fish to do competitions? Also, are there yearly membership fees for assorted organizations (USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, etc)?

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Any USPSA member MUST be allowed to compete at any club that puts on USPSA matches. USPSA matches are shot under USPSA rules--there are no "local" rules or "private" matches. All matches are open to any member who shows up with a card and asks to shoot, pays the match fee, etc. You can find out more about USPSA at United States Practical Shooting Association

I believe that IDPA is the same.

Most clubs won't ask you to be a member of USPSA or IDPA to shoot their match--but you will need to join the organizations in order to shoot any major tournament.

IPSC is the international sanctioning body for USPSA style shooting. The rules are different, but not by much. You will hardly ever see a legitimate "IPSC" match being shot in the United States. They exist, but they are rare. IPSC's guns are very different than USPSA guns in most cases, though, because their divisions are different than ours.

I don't know of any summary, but both shooting games are pretty similar. There are rules for both, which you can download in .pdf from the respective websites. International Defensive Pistol Association and United States Practical Shooting Association

USPSA does not require any form of concealment. It is a freestyle game, limited by safety rules. Stages can require up to 32 rounds.

IDPA has more restrictive rules on equipment, requires concealment, generally limits longer-range shots, and each course of fire can be no more than 18 rounds.

I think if you shoot both games, you'll eventually learn that the distinctions are minor and don't really affect the game that much. My suggestion is that you get out and shoot, talk to your fellow competitors, and decide what you like for yourself.

Me, I'm primarily a USPSA shooter (limited, single stack, production), but I've been known to dabble in some IDPA SSP or CDP from time to time.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    As far as IDPA and IPSC matches go, are they usually on paved or dirt ground?

It depends on the range, but a lot are gravel. Grass tears up too quickly and dirt gets too muddy.

I know IDPA requires concealed holster, is USPSA open or optional?

USPSA is open.

EDIT: Do you have to join Marion County Game and Fish to do competitions? Also, are there yearly membership fees for assorted organizations (USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, etc)?

Most ranges allow you to shoot matches without joining that club. You can shoot a local USPSA match (no state, sectional, or area matches) without becoming a member of USPSA, you just can't become classified. I'm pretty sure it's the same for Steel matches. I imagine most clubs would let you shoot IDPA matches without becoming a member of IDPA, but I thought I remembered seeing that the first was free, the rest required membership. Don't quote me on that though.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Friday Night Steel or Bowling Pin Shooting?

Thanks for the information and links, lots of good information to satisfy for awhile.

I'm interested in your perspective on Friday Night Steel at Marion County Fish and Game. We've got ramps up and down to the firing line, so I think its do-able. The only thing I'm not sure about is wheelchair accessible restrooms (I'm not sure if the door is wide enough, but it may be). Check out the video on YouTube:

YouTube - friday night steel mcfg

Let us know if you have any questions!

Steel at Marion County Fish and Game Association, Indianapolis, Indianahttp://www.IndyRange.com

jmsnell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Indy
    I'm interested in your perspective on Friday Night Steel at Marion County Fish and Game. We've got ramps up and down to the firing line, so I think its do-able. The only thing I'm not sure about is wheelchair accessible restrooms (I'm not sure if the door is wide enough, but it may be). Check out the video on YouTube:

YouTube - friday night steel mcfg

Let us know if you have any questions!

Steel at Marion County Fish and Game Association, Indianapolis, Indianahttp://www.IndyRange.com

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try to come check it out for myself July 9th!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I use a manual wheelchair and am curious which organizations are wheelchair friendly and/or have a wheelchair division? I'm not interested in a shiny trophy, just looking for some fun competition on something other than what your standard range offers. Can anyone offer insight to possible accessibility issues on IDPA or IPSC courses?

Thanks!

Steel matches would be the obvious answer. We have one at the Riley Conservation Club on Saturday. Come on out!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    USPSA matches will allow you to shoot without being a member of the organization. That has been said here and is true. Most local match directors that I know will be willing to work with you and allow you to compete. However the ground and moving around on that ground may or may not be an issue. Most problems can be over come but it will take some communication to overcome them all. For example shooting from behind a barricade with a two foot wide box could be an issue. There may or may not be solutions to that issue.

I think you will be welcomed at any match in this state as far as USPSA is concerned.

jmsnell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Indy
    USPSA matches will allow you to shoot without being a member of the organization. That has been said here and is true. Most local match directors that I know will be willing to work with you and allow you to compete. However the ground and moving around on that ground may or may not be an issue. Most problems can be over come but it will take some communication to overcome them all. For example shooting from behind a barricade with a two foot wide box could be an issue. There may or may not be solutions to that issue.

I think you will be welcomed at any match in this state as far as USPSA is concerned.

Thanks for the info, definitely seems like steel is the best avenue for me. I'm going to check out the steel match at Marion County Fish and Game this Friday (it's much closer).

Thanks again everyone for the good information! I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom