• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    You know what defends gun rights better than the NRA or any other organization? The 2nd amendment. And it never bugs you for donations either.

You are correct. That said it is constantly under attack. It needs protection from those that would eliminate it. As far as politicians go money talks and BS walks they would given a chance sell out the 2nd amendment in a minute to take over the country and tell us what is best for us. It has happened so many times in the past that people would be fools to think "Not here"

Mrbill69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Coal City, IN
    If they really cared about States there would be Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws. :)

How many states in the last 10 years have passed RTC laws? Who has been at the forefront working to get these laws passed? NRA can't pass laws on their own as some of you seem to think. It's an up hill battle trying to get gun freedom laws passed in some of these states controlled by liberals. Some of you who are whining the loudest don't want to admit that a lot of the freedoms we still have have coame from the efforts of the NRA.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    What a bunch of snail mail whiners. Just ask to be taken off their mailing list, they are happy to accommodate.

The NRA is locked in combat with high dollar anti-gunners like Bloomberg and Soros. If you think it is easy to defeat all of that money in the court of public opinion you better think again and review some of the slick commercials the antis put out recently. Advertising, lobbying and litigation do work, which explains why so much is spent on those efforts by businesses and interest groups every year.

Most of those who whine about NRA fundraising methods need to suggest a better, proven way for them to get the "ammunition" they need to help us fight the 2A battle. We also have to do our part and write letters to lawmakers and politicians. Doing all of this on-the-cheap (our money and time) simply won't work.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I served three terms on the NRA Board of Directors.

This issue was brought up periodically in board meetings since we board members would receive input about it from NRA members.

Our membership people always gave us the same answer.

"When we send solicitations to the members, they send us money."

Nuff said.

NetworkNinja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Storage Room B
    If not them, who?

The NRA is far from perfect, however right now, it is one of the few organizations that are trying to stop the morons in Washington from infringing (further) on my rights. GOA and other organizations sometimes come across as brash and frankly just as crazy as some of the libtards out there. That being said, I support ALL of them. We must work together, organize and articulate our veiwpoints to the masses, in whatever ways that can be acomplished. And I wonder, why is it when they put out the salaries of people who run leftist agencies, nobody in the media cares. When a conservative organization pays someone and exectutive level salary, everyone freaks out. Would you run the NRA for any less compensation?. I work for a few billion dollar a year corporation, I want to be paid a ludicrous salary! Send all your unwanted dollars to me...I will spend them gladly on things that go boom. :ar15:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Whats up with this "fight for your rights" ****? THEY ARE RIGHTS! Reading these posts makes me think that if there had been an AWB most people would just comply.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Whats up with this "fight for your rights" ****? THEY ARE RIGHTS! Reading these posts makes me think that if there had been an AWB most people would just comply.

We had an AWB. I think most people complied. I bought a few new guns during that period, and yes, some of them had neutered magazines, so I guess I was complying as well.

Absolutely, they are our rights. But it sure isn't a given, a large portion of the powers that be are ready and able to trample them at every turn.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    reason I tol'em ta pizz up a rope some yrs back......'long with screw'n me on'a 5 yr 'special price' deal......an' yeah.......still get they shizz in'a mail,'bout twice month......"special savings !"...:rolleyes:....I tho' the junk in'a trash.....

(DID pay dues,yrly for over 20+ yrs......but when they screw'd me on'at.......eF'em........)

:cool:

:rolleyes:

Yeah an they live'n the Hi-Life too, dude.......LOL!......don' think they do'n ya any favors.......cuzzz.......if it were'nt fer line'n they pockets an' support'n they rich-azz lifestyle.......they would'n be there.....:):

You think they care 'bout you?........Hahahahahaha!......dream on....:):

I'll donate money for Hooked on Phonics for this guy ^.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Looks like the best way to save money and agrgravation would be for Jimmy and a few others here to drive of fly to the various states and DC 2-3 times a week to meet with legislators to fight for our cause. I'm sure you're well versed in legalise and can drive the points home as well or better than the NRA lawyers and even better the the SAF or GOA can do it.
    Either gas or tickets, taking time out from work 2-3, or even 4 days a week will be much cheaper, and easier than tossing unwanted mail in the trash, or sending in huge amounts of money, like $20.00 every few months or so.
    See there, a nice simple easy and inexpensive solution to the problem. :)

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I was just on Wikipedia, and a box appeared at the top of the screen asking me to donate money to keep Wikipedia online for another year.

I am never ever ever using Wikipedia again, this is like the 4th time I have seen that.
    EVER

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    It takes more time and effort to write a post and complain about how the NRA raises some of their funds than it takes to make a call and opt out of the mailings. It's not a big deal and no one thinks any less of that person.

The NRA may not be for everyone,
    But if you don't stand for something, chances are you will fall for anything..................

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    GOA, NAGR, CCRKBA, NSSF, 2nd Amendment Foundation, Don't dislike the NRA, just some others with the same agenda.

I agree with this. There are other places to donate to that work for gun rights. The NRA is an institution in the US and many will blindly follow no matter how wasteful they are or poorly ran.

This has totally gotten away from the OP concerns, but the NRA has always been heavy on mailings for donations. Just one reason I left them, and these are not regular paper, but very expensive stationary that they did not need to use.

The primary reason I left the NRA was how poorly they utilized their resources-our money. About as bad as the government. Some donate blindly, some do a little research before they give their money and the NRA is NOT a good steward of our funds. Someone here said if we did not pay LaPierre and others like big corporations did, they would work elsewhere. Well, not for very long once they started spending money and 1mil salary? Look up how the Wounded Warrior project utilizes their funds and tell me the NRA is a responsible organization or even simpler, the Salvation Army.

Main area to look at in any organization is their overhead and salaries...if they are not combined. Then consider their success rates and here one must be objective because an organization with as many projects like the NRA is not going to make everyone happy. An example would be they may spend 65 million on mailings but 25 mil on training or 60mil on legislative fights, some may get upset because the NRA should be utilizing the money on gun rights where others believe it should be on shooting sports. No one is going to be happy with everything and you can not please everyone. My donations are "focused" to those the better utilize my money for what interest me, the 2nd Amendment Foundation, Wounded Warrior and Salvation Army.

The NRA has done good work. Totally ignored other areas or states where their efforts were needed because hey chose to focus on where they may be successful. Fighting a tougher battle where the odds of loosing would not look good for their image- example: are they really putting out serious effort in Chicago? Not really. These choices of where to place effort (funds) happens every year all over the country - what about the rights of those people LaPierre? Not worth the effort?

Not bashing the NRA, I just think people should at least look into who they give their money to and how it's used. When this happens and funds get low, or members complain vs. blind faith, organizations start to tighten up, focus their efforts, fire some people, usually unneeded people and run a better organization. In many instances, these organizations take a long hard look at where their money is going which they should have been doing all along.

Another problem is that with these kind of funds available, people become wasteful personally. As in let's buy that antique desk that Lincoln's half brothers sister had in her home vs. a decent desk at a reasonable price. Steak and lobster a few times a month or hit a subway once in a while. It starts to become about "best" and their image vs being a good steward of the funds donated. Really...does Wayne LaPierre need to get around by private jet? There are many examples.

I have worked for non profit companies all of my adult life and have been very successful at it, followed our mission statement and if I ran our company like the NRA did...well you get the picture. Demand better or go elsewhere or continue to blindly give. Up to you.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Lots of good comments and arguments in this thread. I am a member of NRA and I support them when I can. I work for Friends of NRA to raise money to educate our youth to shooting sports.

I belong to this forum so I became a supporting member because I know that anything worth while costs a little money.

The NRA is the only organization large enough to fight our personal gun ownership battle. I know that the mailings can be annoying but you don't have to even read them unless you want. Give what you can and that is all that is expected of the members. Make the phone calls to your representatives when asked. Much of what is going on would not be known to many if the NRA did not keep us informed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom