• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There is nothing like an herbed dressing. A grocery near has the bread already made and it is a blend of all their bakery breads. It has 5-7 different breads in it all nicely dried. Then loaded with fresh herbs. It is a taste explosion.

Love great baked mac-n-cheese but it is expensive...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There is nothing like an herbed dressing. A grocery near has the bread already made and it is a blend of all their bakery breads. It has 5-7 different breads in it all nicely dried. Then loaded with fresh herbs. It is a taste explosion.

Love great baked mac-n-cheese but it is expensive...
    I have tried the mixed bread dressing, but I found it was too heavy on the rye and whole wheat which took over the flavor profile too much. I dry my own using white bread. I just lay the slices from a couple of loaves of bread out on cookie sheets for a few days. Or you can put them in the oven on the warm setting for a while, then flip the bread over and finish.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I am thankful that my wife and in laws are not turkey fans. FIL will be smoking brisket and a few racks of pork ribs. All the other traditional fixings are on...gb casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, apple pie, fresh cranberry sauce, etc.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Nothing extravagant this year, just going with oven turkey.
    Greenbean casserole, carrot souffle, mashed taters, gravy and pie etc.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    First Thanksgiving dinner done. Went to in-laws in MI. Had the usual fare. Good fun, lot's of laughs, a couple longish walks with my mother-in-law, easy travels.

Next up is my daughters on actual Thanksgiving day. I'm making a pumpkin pie for that dinner.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A couple of birds are ready for hitting a seasoned brine tomorrow.
    Prepping some beef tenderloins on Wednesday.
    The big birds are getting smoked along with some pheasants early Thursday.
    Tenderloins go on much later... rare to medium rare is the preferred temp for this group.
    Have an uncle that will smoke whatever oysters are left over from the shuck and shoot.
    Sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, etc.
    Spiced and spiked cider (heavy on the cloves)
    etc etc

Full on day of giving thanks around here.

The governor, the mayor, nor any of their cohorts are invited.

If they show, we have a smoke pit already dug out, heating up, and ready to go for them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I did most of my shopping at Fresh Thyme earlier this afternoon. Not much left to buy, a few small ingredients here and there. Total price for most of it was $226, so I think I'll be right at $300 for the whole lot. While it is more than I want to spend on a meal it is worth it for a once-a-year celebration with friends and family.

The only thing that disappoints me is the worry about caviar delivery. I was searching Amazon and found several reasonable prices for some adequate caviar, all next day delivery. So I went to order early Monday morning and the earliest delivery was Nov 30th!:xmad: I called and let them have it. When you say "guaranteed next day delivery" that means, within reason, that IF I order it on Monday it will be here by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. Nope. I felt bad for the young lady that had to deal with me, but that honked me off. Especially as it is a sensitive food product that can easily go bad.

I wound up calling Markey's directly and a nice Russian lady said they could get it to me by Wednesday. That's when I wanted it. We shall see. The direct price was much less with a 15% Thanksgiving discount. As for shipping... I'm afraid to see it.

Normally I wouldn't do something like this but I am making a salmon mousse and salmon roe on top will go great, and as long as I am buying one why not two...? That way the salmon roe could go with the mousse and the regular black caviar could go with some blini's and crackers with creme fraiche. An easy appetizer.

Tomorrow I'll finish up everything except the chicken and pork. The spiced pumpkin cheesecake will go in so it has a day to rest and chill. I'll also do the french bread. I want it slightly stale for the bagna cauda.

Much to do...

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am just heading out for the second shopping trip and, while checking email, got one from FedEx saying my package would arrive Wednesday. Woohoo! Bless that Russian lady that is getting me my special food ingredient on time.

Still mad at Amazon...

So, it looks as if now all the insanity will be packed into today, tomorrow, and Thursday. Hopefully, most of the work will be done tomorrow. We shall see...

Regards,

Doug

PS - I do hope everyone out there has as much fun with this as I do! The stress is actually eustress, and the happy, stuffed faces gladden the heart.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Pawned off the turkey! Son-in-law's dad is going to smoke one for us.
    He's doing about 30 for people at work and we talked him into one more. :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am just heading out for the second shopping trip and, while checking email, got one from FedEx saying my package would arrive Wednesday. Woohoo! Bless that Russian lady that is getting me my special food ingredient on time.

Still mad at Amazon...

So, it looks as if now all the insanity will be packed into today, tomorrow, and Thursday. Hopefully, most of the work will be done tomorrow. We shall see...

Regards,

Doug

PS - I do hope everyone out there has as much fun with this as I do! The stress is actually eustress, and the happy, stuffed faces gladden the heart.

That better be some good caviar. I just buy the cheap stuff at Meijer; good enough for my scrambled eggs and asparagus.

I still don't know if I'm cooking for two or eight people. :wallbash:

Nevertheless, I readied my pie dough last night, and I'll make the pumpkin & sweet potato pie tonight, and prep the turkey.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Since it's just going to be me (DoggyMama will be in Florida until December 6th), I think I'm going to pull a couple of filets out of the freezer and see if I can get creative. May even go to the range on Thursday. Shouldn't be busy at all.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That better be some good caviar. I just buy the cheap stuff at Meijer; good enough for my scrambled eggs and asparagus.

I still don't know if I'm cooking for two or eight people. :wallbash:

Nevertheless, I readied my pie dough last night, and I'll make the pumpkin & sweet potato pie tonight, and prep the turkey.

To the first point, it is not great caviar, but it is the "best" in its price range. I think the salmon roe was about $25 for 5.5 oz. That will go mostly with the salmon mousse. The other caviar is, after much research, one of the better "affordable" caviars. It is malossol bowfin caviar. I think it was around $55 for 5.5 oz. She said it was on sale for Thanksgiving. Someday I would really love to try the good caviar, but that will be a while. The best now is Iranian, not Russian. From my reading the Iranians have done a great job restocking the ocean near them and have made their supply very sustainable, whereas the Russians haven't been so progressive in that way.

To your second issue cook for eight (8) and don't plan on many leftovers. If you don't get the eight (8) then you'll be pleasantly surprised with many leftovers.

Tonight I will candy the pecans and walnuts. I will also cook the spiced pumpkin cheesecakes. I think I'll also make homemade butter for a nice touch. I already have made my own creme fraiche so we'll see how it goes in cooking. I'll also start marinating my prunes that will go into the pork.

I hope it all works out for you on the numbers.

Regards,

Doug

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've decided to go with crab-stuffed filet, sauteed mushrooms, and maybe crab-stuffed mushroom caps for me. Not sure of the other side dish. Probably just instant garlic mashed potatoes.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    First Thanksgiving dinner done. Went to in-laws in MI. Had the usual fare. Good fun, lot's of laughs, a couple longish walks with my mother-in-law, easy travels.

Next up is my daughters on actual Thanksgiving day. I'm making a pumpkin pie for that dinner.

Where'd you go in MI? They already got some snow up there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Where'd you go in MI? They already got some snow up there.

Holland. Early forecast called for rain/snow on Sunday but it was just cloudy, mid 40's. It was nice enough to go on a 3 mile walk. Or at least it was for my mother in law and myself. My wife informed me that she froze the whole time and at one point wanted to sit down and have us go get the car!:):

But she steeled herself against the raging cold and made it the last 1/4 mile home.:)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Holland. Early forecast called for rain/snow on Sunday but it was just cloudy, mid 40's. It was nice enough to go on a 3 mile walk. Or at least it was for my mother in law and myself. My wife informed me that she froze the whole time and at one point wanted to sit down and have us go get the car!:):

But she steeled herself against the raging cold and made it the last 1/4 mile home.:)

I do like the west side of the state, it's where my dad settled after retiring (at least for the summer). Glad you had a nice visit.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Just got the call that the "Framily" was exposed to the Rona and has to quarantine so it's gonna be an unconventional holiday for us. Right now planning for 2-4ish people so making the usual: Pecan Pie, Blackberry Cheesecake, Pumpkin Bread, Oatmeal Cherry Cookies (because I don't do raisins - blah), Turkey, Grandma's Green Bean Casserole (gotta pay homage), Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Stuffing, and still trying to decide if I'm doing OkieCorn (Crockpot slow all day - family sized bag of frozen corn, can of Rotel, 1/2 stick of butter, and some cream cheese, oohhh it's heaven).

As far as the employer's take on quarantine for people spending the holiday with family, I just had one of those uncomfortable discussions with our HR today about a team member. They said the NEW CDC guidelines and medical opinions state that staff cannot be required to quarantine after exposure to a known Covid case. She said (and I'm not kidding) if the staff member tests positive but they are A symptomatic they are good to come back to work! The medical opinions/talking heads are saying that we've all probably been exposed so there is no longer reason to maintain strict quarantine requirements. I was speechless. Asked for clarity about four times. Still can't believe it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've decided to go with crab-stuffed filet, sauteed mushrooms, and maybe crab-stuffed mushroom caps for me. Not sure of the other side dish. Probably just instant garlic mashed potatoes.
    Howbout garlic crab mashed potatoes?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I do like the west side of the state, it's where my dad settled after retiring (at least for the summer). Glad you had a nice visit.

Thanks. Yeah, I grew up in Flint. I like western MI much better. I have traveled to 46 of the 50 states and I could live in western or northern Michigan easily. But my wife doesn't want to deal with the extended cold months.

Michigan will always be the state I am most proud to say I have lived and I am from.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just got the call that the "Framily" was exposed to the Rona and has to quarantine so it's gonna be an unconventional holiday for us. Right now planning for 2-4ish people so making the usual: Pecan Pie, Blackberry Cheesecake, Pumpkin Bread, Oatmeal Cherry Cookies (because I don't do raisins - blah), Turkey, Grandma's Green Bean Casserole (gotta pay homage), Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Stuffing, and still trying to decide if I'm doing OkieCorn (Crockpot slow all day - family sized bag of frozen corn, can of Rotel, 1/2 stick of butter, and some cream cheese, oohhh it's heaven).

As far as the employer's take on quarantine for people spending the holiday with family, I just had one of those uncomfortable discussions with our HR today about a team member. They said the NEW CDC guidelines and medical opinions state that staff cannot be required to quarantine after exposure to a known Covid case. She said (and I'm not kidding) if the staff member tests positive but they are A symptomatic they are good to come back to work! The medical opinions/talking heads are saying that we've all probably been exposed so there is no longer reason to maintain strict quarantine requirements. I was speechless. Asked for clarity about four times. Still can't believe it.

First off; can I come for dinner?

Secondly, my second Thanksgiving may get cancelled. I found out today that I was exposed to a guy who was exposed to a known COVID case. So I have to wait until the guy I was exposed to gets his test results back. Which he said will be Thursday or Friday...hopefully.

My daughter has moved Thanksgiving to Saturday so if he tests negative, we can still salvage it. But if he is positive, then I have to test and we won't get test results back in time. Oh, well, such it goes.

Top Bottom