• Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    LOL. See my post above yours!:)
    Heh, yeah, I saw that after I posted. :) OK, not really a PITA, but the canned is just about as good and so much easier. I discovered that the generic brand canned whipped cream at our store was much sweeter than Reddi Whip Extra Creamy. I don't like it that sweet, so I used the sweet stuff for in my coffee and I'll use Reddi Whip for the pie.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DD, the canned stuff is pretty good, but have you ever tried making your own? It's not hard and it is really good! And you can adjust the sweetness to your palate.

Oh yeah, I've made it from scratch, but not at home. I worked in restaurants for 15 years and we made it from scratch.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't get the marshmallow thing either. I just mash them and add butter and a bit of brown sugar. I'm with you on the Reddi Whip instead of Cool Whip. Even better, home made whipped cream, but it's a PITA.

Exactly!

But my grandmother, bless her soul, made them, so my guest expect them... so I ask my mom to bring them.

My thought is, they're already sweet potatoes, why do they need sugary fluff?

If anything, I like mine with some canned chipotles - that bit of heat helps cut through all the other stuff on the table.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Heh, yeah, I saw that after I posted. :) OK, not really a PITA, but the canned is just about as good and so much easier. I discovered that the generic brand canned whipped cream at our store was much sweeter than Reddi Whip Extra Creamy. I don't like it that sweet, so I used the sweet stuff for in my coffee and I'll use Reddi Whip for the pie.

I get that. I once made one of those decadent chocolate cakes. It was so much work and really not better than the ones you can buy at Sam's. I never made a second.

But carrot cake is a different story. I make my own.

And pumpkin pie. I don't care for cloves so I leave them out of my pies.

This thread which started out for me as a little bit of a bummer is getting me jacked up for the two Thanksgiving meals I'll have this year! One of them this Saturday!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I get that. I once made one of those decadent chocolate cakes. It was so much work and really not better than the ones you can buy at Sam's. I never made a second.

But carrot cake is a different story. I make my own.

And pumpkin pie. I don't care for cloves so I leave them out of my pies.

This thread which started out for me as a little bit of a bummer is getting me jacked up for the two Thanksgiving meals I'll have this year! One of them this Saturday!

I cut way down on the spices in my pumpkin pie. Instead of 1/4 tsp of this and 1/2 tsp of that, etc, etc, I total the measurements of spices, cut it in half, and use that much Pumpkin Pie Spice. ( I think in my recipe I use a little under a teaspoon.) No cinnamon, no cloves, no allspice, ginger, or all the other stuff.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I cut way down on the spices in my pumpkin pie. Instead of 1/4 tsp of this and 1/2 tsp of that, etc, etc, I total the measurements of spices, cut it in half, and use that much Pumpkin Pie Spice. ( I think in my recipe I use a little under a teaspoon.) No cinnamon, no cloves, no allspice, ginger, or all the other stuff.

Wait - aren't all those things in Pumpkin Pie Spice?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Wait - aren't all those things in Pumpkin Pie Spice?

Probably. But the stronger ones like clove and ginger are not nearly so recognizable in the pumpkin pie spice, especially when I cut the amount in half. And it's also easier and cheaper to just use one spice.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't get the marshmallow thing either. I just mash them and add butter and a bit of brown sugar. I'm with you on the Reddi Whip instead of Cool Whip. Even better, home made whipped cream, but it's a PITA.

Homemade whipped cream is easy if done correctly with a few details. I usually do small amounts at a time for immediate use as it does not hold that well, holds about an hour or so.

I use a Pyrex measuring glass of two or four cups size get your hand mixer ready, (mine is Kitchen Aid with wire style beaters.) chill the glass in the freezer as cold as possible, put in a cup of heavy whipping cream and mix on high until firm peaks about 5 minutes, then add a splash of real vanilla and a couple of tablespoons of sugar to taste and let sit 15 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals.

Tastes so fresh. Replace vanilla with bourbon for a special treat on pumpkin pie.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My mom insists on cooking turkey "low and slow" on 200 for 37 hours (OK exaggerating) until it is soft and falling apart and there are bones in the dressing. The real treat to this method is the soft, flabby skin. I'm going to try to hit a happy medium for us this time.

Finish it in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We too will have a smoked turkey this year, but my favorite turkey of all time is a properly made deep fried turkey, brined and injected. I use a combination of brown beer and apple cider with Cajun spices. I put all the spices in the blender with the liquid and run it until the spices are no longer visible. My start point was the old Emerill recipe. Mmmmm

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-fried-turkey-3646067

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I stop cooking all turkey at 150ish in the thickest part of the breast. Then let it rest 15-20 minutes to settle. You will find, if you check the temp will rise to mid 160's while resting. If you pull it out at 165 it will be overdone and dry...

ADD: if you do not let it rest and the juices settle back into the meat it will also contribute to dry meat...

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm gonna smoke a couple whole chickens. The daughter will make corn cake casserole, and a sweet potato pie from scratch. For being only 15 she is quite talented in the kitchen.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Homemade whipped cream is easy if done correctly with a few details. I usually do small amounts at a time for immediate use as it does not hold that well, holds about an hour or so.

I use a Pyrex measuring glass of two or four cups size get your hand mixer ready, (mine is Kitchen Aid with wire style beaters.) chill the glass in the freezer as cold as possible, put in a cup of heavy whipping cream and mix on high until firm peaks about 5 minutes, then add a splash of real vanilla and a couple of tablespoons of sugar to taste and let sit 15 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals.

Tastes so fresh. Replace vanilla with bourbon for a special treat on pumpkin pie.

Throw the beaters in the freezer with the bowl too. I have the same Kitchen Aid hand mixer though my daughter has the stand version and it does it even better!

How much bourbon? I tried it with rum once. I kept cutting the amount to get to a flavor we liked and never made it. We just decided we didn't like rum flavored whipped cream.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Son and DIL are hosting in their new house but have doled our cooking assignments. I am responsible for bringing:

Turkey Breast ~ shove it in a bag and put it in the oven. Take a morning nap and I’m done.

Sweet Potatoes ~ I add fresh chopped ginger and brown sugar.

Pumpkin Pie ~ heavy on the clove when adding spice and of course real whip cream.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Throw the beaters in the freezer with the bowl too. I have the same Kitchen Aid hand mixer though my daughter has the stand version and it does it even better!

How much bourbon? I tried it with rum once. I kept cutting the amount to get to a flavor we liked and never made it. We just decided we didn't like rum flavored whipped cream.

i used to freeze the beaters too, but got lazy. Just a splash of anything, vanilla, bourbon, or rum, you can always taste it and add another splash of needed. The rum needs to be paired with things that rum goes with. Maybe pineapple upside down cake?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    i used to freeze the beaters too, but got lazy. Just a splash of anything, vanilla, bourbon, or rum, you can always taste it and add another splash of needed. The rum needs to be paired with things that rum goes with. Maybe pineapple upside down cake?
    Depending on the dessert a splash of Kahlua can add a pleasant flavor. The Dude abides!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For those wanting real whipped cream without the whipping, check this out. It works great, holds in the fridge as long as the cream is dated for. We take it to family gatherings for real whipped cream without the mess. Dump in cream, sugar, vanilla, screw lid on, charge with CO2. Done...

https://www.amazon.com/iSi-163001-Professional-Whipper-1-Pint/dp/B003XNPGFA

I would expect the knock offs to work well too for a lot less money, but this brand was the originator...

Top Bottom