• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Well, whadayaknowboutthat. I hit the recharge button, and nothing happens. It is scheduled to happen at midnight. I have replaced the plastic gear that the motor drove, then some time latter I had to replace the motor. Or maybe the other way around, it's been a few years. Circuit board is clean. Hmm.
    You just had a lot of storms go through over there right? Maybe a surge took out the plug? Can you test to see if you are getting proper voltage at the board?

Just trying to weed out the small things first.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We've got a Kenetico (on demand style) water softener that my parents had installed in the early 90s and it has never had anything done to it other than an o-ring being replaced about 5 years ago. Our water is very hard and I'm amazed and thankful that it has worked so well all these years.
    I bought a Kinetico Model 60 in 1996. It has dual resin tanks and an impeller meter so it uses no electricity and recharges based on the actual gallons used. With the dual resin tanks, you can recharge any time, because it switches to the new tank and recharges the other one, with no interruption in soft water or pressure.

It quit softening a few years ago, so I bought a rebuild kit on Amazon. I also got new resin as well. After the rebuild and resin replacement, it still didn't work automatically, but I found that it manually recharges just fine. I don't know if I did something wrong with the rebuild, or if that was the reason it quit softening in the first place. I found that all I have to do is to do a manual recharge once a week or so and that works, since it's only my wife and I at home now. I've also found that it works best if I only put a couple of bags of salt in at a time. If I load it up with salt, then the salt accumulates in the stilling well where the float is and interferes. I read somewhere that they quit making the Model 60 since they were so simple and trouble free that they never needed any service.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Now you are scaring me with these short life predictions. I bought this house with a Kinetico softner 12 years ago. The man I bought it from said it came with the house when he bought the place. I have done nothing but add salt. My "new" water heater was installed in 2015, and did need a T&P valve replaced, but is still running. I am probably right at the edge of something expensive.
    They don't make them like they used to, so chances are you're good to go for a while still.

Reactions: Leo

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Back in the day, all softeners and water heaters were "hard-plumbed" into the system, since they were expected to last 20+ years. I think it says something that now they're mostly connected with flexible "quick-connect" lines.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    In the 20 years in this house:

3 water heaters
    2 ranges
    4 washer/dryer combos (one fails, so replaced set)
    3 refrigerators
    1 main breaker panel (that was not fun!)
    1 dishwasher
    2 kitchen sinks (kids, I tell ya!)

And now it is looking like the 2nd water softener

I do not like being the landlord.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    You just had a lot of storms go through over there right? Maybe a surge took out the plug? Can you test to see if you are getting proper voltage at the board?

Just trying to weed out the small things first.
    Power appears to be fine. LCD display lights up, clock is correct time, push the button and the tank light comes on. Stepped thru the programing just to make sure nothing got scrambled. I am capable of checking the input power.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Power appears to be fine. LCD display lights up, clock is correct time, push the button and the tank light comes on. Stepped thru the programing just to make sure nothing got scrambled. I am capable of checking the input power.
    The last easy step in my opinion is to unplug it for about 30 seconds and try to see if the electronics will reset. If not then at least you tried before doing parts or a new one.

Also, here is a generic explanation of the simple cleaning process of the venturi. We have very hard water and cleaning it once a year helps get the most out of the brine cleaning cycle.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    What is that?
    An Iron Filter. I've got iron in my water. Bad. Also sulfur, arsenic, and manganese. It also has a layer of ozone that kills bacteria and stuff. That filter gets rid of all that, but they're pretty expensive and typically not worth it unless you got a lot of iron.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    An Iron Filter. I've got iron in my water. Bad. Also sulfur, arsenic, and manganese. It also has a layer of ozone that kills bacteria and stuff. That filter gets rid of all that, but they're pretty expensive and typically not worth it unless you got a lot of iron.
    Thanks. We have iron but the iron out salt gets most of it. Glad we don’t need something else.

Top Bottom