• Poll closed .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You are at the stop light in your vehicle waiting for light to turn green. No other cars in front of you.

Another vehicle pulls up next to you. It's a couple with a male driver and female passenger. The guy with his right hand grabs a liquor bottle, crown royal shape, uses his teeth to remove the cork and takes a nice long sip before putting the bottle away.

Light turns green and he drives off.
    So what do you do?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Depending on what I was doing at the time, I might be inclined to follow him until I was comfortable that he wasn't a danger to anyone. For all I know that's the first sip he's had and he's just trying to get a head start on the evening. :dunno:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Depending on what I was doing at the time, I might be inclined to follow him until I was comfortable that he wasn't a danger to anyone. For all I know that's the first sip he's had and he's just trying to get a head start on the evening. :dunno:
    That's probably something like i'd do, too. I have called 911, but only if the person is driving dangerously.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    If the guy is obviously intoxicated, you bet I’m calling 911, I don’t want him killing some innocent person and if I can do something to stop it I will. That said I’d probably follow for a little bit before that decision is made.

Lpherr

Occupied
    So you do nothing, regardless if it's their first sip or the tenth sip.
    You then arrive to your destination and receive a call that a drunk driver has just killed your child, significant other, or any other family member, and the drunk driver turns out to be the one you saw and did nothing, or made the judgement call of them not being a danger.
    Can you live with that decision?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I’d have to think about what??? I just saw. Crown Royal has a screw on top. :)
    Frosty may laugh at you for this one but great detective work.

You are correct crown royal is a screw top and the driver in the other car pulled out a cork with his teeth from that type of bottle.

So do you really know if it was liquor or something else the driver reused the bottle for.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So you do nothing, regardless if it's their first sip or the tenth sip.
    You then arrive to your destination and receive a call that a drunk driver has just killed your child, significant other, or any other family member, and the drunk driver turns out to be the one you saw and did nothing, or made the judgement call of them not being a danger.
    Can you live with that decision?
    Sssshhhh
    This gets into the Spiderman scene of with great power comes great responsibility and you are reading ahead of the story.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    To much ambiguity in the op’s initial statement to make an assessment. So did the guy open a bottle of liquor??? Did he use his teeth and put the cork in his left hand for replacement or hold it and the bottle in his right hand while drinking then replace cork with right hand??? Was the whole thing a show to elicit a response from other drivers? Now we have untrained detectives following a possible drunk that may or may not be armed. Just a few questions I asked myself. Anyway I’m done I’ll kick back and watch the show.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    On second thought this was posted as a hypothetical, I’m not up on current vernacular but isn’t that trolling?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If he's driving erratically enough that I think he's a danger, I'd call it in. Phone or radio, depending on when/where. I've called in drunks a few times on the interstate, one pretty nasty one in Florida were he was behind me until I could find a turn off to just get away from him. He wasn't following me on purpose, it was just a two lane 55mph, which was a big one lane 35-75mph for him, apparently. He came real close to smoking oncoming traffic several times and would fall way back then come screaming back up. They said they had officers waiting for him at the next bridge, but I didn't go that way to see, just left my contact info if they needed me as a witness. Also a semi driver who was either intoxicated or falling asleep near St. Louis once who was casually drifting between lanes until he'd hit the rumble strips then jerk back into the lanes of travel.

If he's just putting on a show of drinking out of a bottle, not my problem. People do stupid trolling stuff all the time for their youagram accounts. Drinking water out of a chocalate sauce bottle at the gym sort of stuff. Drinking from a corked container is not enough to move my concern needle at this point.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Whether 911 or non-emergency (the latter, if I don't see obvious signs of impairment), I would get the description and license plate, and call - then go about my own business, hopefully somewhere that driver isn't going.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Much like domestic disputes, better t9 be a good witness then to get actively involved. Hypothetically more information would be needed to provide a response.

Some people can have a odd sense of what a stunt is or what is funny.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

What are them and tips to deal with them

Social media troll: What are them. 'Troll' is a person with the intention to create conflicts and controversy: Generate provocative debates.

OK, I gotta go. Oprah is coming on then that Whoppy broad, followed by a Judge Judy Special 4 hour telethon.

Yeah, I'm clear on the definition. You are casting a wide net on "conflict and controversy" and provocation.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Frosty may laugh at you for this one but great detective work.

You are correct crown royal is a screw top and the driver in the other car pulled out a cork with his teeth from that type of bottle.

So do you really know if it was liquor or something else the driver reused the bottle for.
    Well to be completely honest, I’ve never drank crown, to be even more honest, I haven’t drank for years, and for no more reason than :dunno: And to be a little more truthful, I really wouldn’t care if I didn’t have alcohol again?

Lpherr

Occupied
    To much ambiguity in the op’s initial statement to make an assessment. So did the guy open a bottle of liquor??? Did he use his teeth and put the cork in his left hand for replacement or hold it and the bottle in his right hand while drinking then replace cork with right hand??? Was the whole thing a show to elicit a response from other drivers? Now we have untrained detectives following a possible drunk that may or may not be armed. Just a few questions I asked myself. Anyway I’m done I’ll kick back and watch the show.
    If anyone is drinking from a liquor bottle while behind the wheel to elicit a response or as a stunt, they deserve whatever they get.
    The :poop: isn't funny or amusing. People can't drive worth :poop: anyway and placing innocent people in harms way deserves punishment.
    That stupid games thing people talk about...
    Unfortunately, our legal system protects these a**holes.

If the jerk is actually drinking, my conscience wouldn't rest easy knowing the idiot could potentially kill someone. If not this time, everyone knows there will be a next time.

Top Bottom