What to do when an aggressive large animal charges at you? (While carrying)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    There is a school of thought to let the dog latch onto you and then bust it. May or may not be the thing to always do but if it does get a hold of you it is a much easier target.
    I am not one to invite a dog bite and the possible disease that may go with it but just something that has been discussed.
    I've considered this myself. Especially if others may be in the line of fire. I'd offer up my weak side forearm and then shoot once it has latched. Depending on the breed of dog this may not be advisable.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've scared off two aggressive pitbulls before by charging them and yelling. If that didn't work, I'd have shot them--especially since they were on my property.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    OK. Lets discuss INGO rules of engagement... you can't start a post with "I was attacked by a pack of wild dogs in Morrocco" without telling us the whole story :D :popcorn:

Haha fair enough. I lived in Fes for a while, working on my Arabic, and I would go jogging in the mountains outside the city. I did not know, (at the time) that there are packs of feral dogs there, that will eat goats/pets/joggers. I came through uninjured, but I thought maybe that was going to be the end of me at the time. Trust me, I was reeeeally wishing for my carry gun at that moment!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Haha fair enough. I lived in Fes for a while, working on my Arabic, and I would go jogging in the mountains outside the city. I did not know, (at the time) that there are packs of feral dogs there, that will eat goats/pets/joggers. I came through uninjured, but I thought maybe that was going to be the end of me at the time. Trust me, I was reeeeally wishing for my carry gun at that moment!

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'll bet you're the only INGOer who has been attached by a pack of feral dogs while jogging in the mountains in Morocco.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I used to let my dogs out to pee without looking at who was outside. We lived in a house that was about 75 feet back from the road.

One day, I let my dog out (think English Pointer) and she ran right at a lady running on the road and jumped up very playfully. The lady was pissed and I was very apologetic, but it got me thinking what I would have done or how I would have felt if it was my wife.

If she had shot the dog, I would have had nobody to blame but myself.

It is now a habit to look outside when I let the dogs out even though I live out in the country.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I used to let my dogs out to pee without looking at who was outside. We lived in a house that was about 75 feet back from the road.

One day, I let my dog out (think English Pointer) and she ran right at a lady running on the road and jumped up very playfully. The lady was pissed and I was very apologetic, but it got me thinking what I would have done or how I would have felt if it was my wife.

If she had shot the dog, I would have had nobody to blame but myself.

It is now a habit to look outside when I let the dogs out even though I live out in the country.

I watch my pup every time I let her out. She's only 16mo. old, and a very hyper-spastic Vizsla. She gets way excited when someone stops by, even the fed-ex guy. I've never really thought about the issue of her getting shot because someone thought they were about to be attacked. My biggest worry is the folks that drive down a country road like it's an interstate.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I found one of those flashlight combo stun gun tends to scare dogs quickly, I walk late at night through a housing edition when I get off work usually 2-3 miles a night, once in a great while I have encounters with dogs, I used this guard dog flashlight once just to see what would happen and that big vicious looking dog tucked its tail , hunched its back and scampered away very quickly, just in case I had a pistol ready but I am not a fan of shooting a dog if I don't have to, but I am not willing to take a bite either.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    ^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Contain/control your animals. This goes for Cats as well

I've posted before about my idiot neighbor's dogs. Three pitbull mixes, two of them really nice dogs and one psycho. Funny thing is, it was the two nice ones that finally pushed me over the edge digging in the garden, and generally being a nuisance. I'd talked to the guy, told him his dogs were tearing up my stuff, caught the dogs and took them home multiple times, told him I was loosing my patience, and nothing kept him from letting them run loose. Then I started just catching the dogs, putting them in my breezeway, and calling animal control. First the guy got a fine, then finally he got a fine and they took his dogs. Problem solved......for now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've posted before about my idiot neighbor's dogs. Three pitbull mixes, two of them really nice dogs and one psycho. Funny thing is, it was the two nice ones that finally pushed me over the edge digging in the garden, and generally being a nuisance. I'd talked to the guy, told him his dogs were tearing up my stuff, caught the dogs and took them home multiple times, told him I was loosing my patience, and nothing kept him from letting them run loose. Then I started just catching the dogs, putting them in my breezeway, and calling animal control. First the guy got a fine, then finally he got a fine and they took his dogs. Problem solved......for now.

There is no legal cure for stupid. Cant do a thing about or with it.....stupid is as stupid does. Had near the same deal years ago. No amount of discussion, threats, LEO involvement etc did anything about it. When one of the pits chased my Hispanic neighbor'e wife into the house and it was shot dead the owner pitched a royal ***** and was finally arrested. The dogs (8 of them) were taken away.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Im pretty good at determining intent of approaching dogs. Keep an,eye on his tail, ears and muzzle.

If aggressive, shoot it. Dogs have mauled full size adults to death before.
    I love dogs, but I love me and my limbs just a tad bit more.

OMG-ZOMBIES

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    I have been bitten by a german shepherd and if I was arrmed and had time to draw and aim I would never be bitten again. Unfortunately many dogs get the jump on you and by the time you could assess the situation draw aim and shoot you would be in it's jaws in my opinion. Still would rather have the option to shoot if possible though.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I had a husky brown lab cross that was brown lab friendly and husky enthusiastic about it. He got out once...ONCE...and the neighbors who knew us a couple of houses down called animal control on him. He was playing in their back yard with their dog and when they called him in they both came.

50$ later we didn't talk much more.

Now...if it had been my Doberman Great Dane cross....

Top Bottom