What to do when an aggressive large animal charges at you? (While carrying)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    Hey guys I need a little bit of advice about the self defense topic with animals.

I took a criminal law class at school last semester and we discussed a handful about self-defense. However, we never talked about person vs. animal. A couple days ago, I walked my girlfriend to her car at about 11:00 at night while I was at one of my family members house.(not familiar with the neighborhood) After I walked her to her car, I was crossing the street and the neighbor let out there dog. The neighbor was pretty careless and just opened their front door and the dog ran out. The front lawns are not fenced in my town so this dog took off and charged right at me full sprint. I reached for my handgun and placed my hand in ready position to draw. I was about mid-way in the street and started to back up towards the opposite side walk. The dog was aggressive with barking and growling with teeth shown. It was a large dog with a mix breed of pitbull. The owner started screaming at the dog and he stopped at the curb of the street. I then was on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street and took my hand off as the dog went back towards the house.Close call! I don't know what would have happened if the owner wasn't there.

When would you say it would be justified to stop the threat? When the dog is charging at you? or does he have to be biting you? Thank you guys!

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Actual case here a few years back in Anderson pretty much your same situation and the guy shot the dog! Police checked his Làrry, dog owner took dog to vet and everyone went about their business.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know the laws... IANAL... But I personally have some feelings about this and have had some experience with it. I have kicked a lot of dogs in the teeth while on my bike, and nailed some with rocks while running. However, I have never been bitten, and for that reason I have never shot a dog. I got chomped that'd probably be the end of it... Again, IANAL you could easily get in trouble with this kind of thing, I just have some strong feelings on it I guess. For the most part you can tell if the dog wants to bark or bite at least I've found it to be that way. A few times I've felt you'd have to wait too long to know for sure though and get a nice bite by the time I knew... But I've been lucky I guess.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I love dogs. I have 5. 3 of them are bigger than most of your wives. That said, if I'm in the street, and there's a dog coming at me, off of his property and out of his owner's control, the gun is coming out. And if he's a big dog, and I think he's for sure going to take a piece out of me, sorry dog.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    IANAL but it would seem that if you were in fear of great bodily harm you would be justified and perhaps a lower standard for a dog. That said make sure you have enough ammo if subsequently assaulted by the owner.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well, the standard LEO response nowdays is to immediately shoot the dog - repeatedly. Works for me (unless the cops have entered your house illegally doing a "no knock" raid on the wrong address - that's a whole nother ball game). I also own mulitple dogs and absolutely cringe to think of one of them being shot. But I also have a serious hatred of all the stupid people who think it's perfectly all right to let their dogs run free in an environment full of children and old folks. If you are going to own an animal that is capable of most serious harm you better keep it restrained. I grew up in a rural area of Missouri and there is still today a serious problem of feral dog packs all over the State - caused by idiots that "let their dog out for the night". Children have been killed AND eaten by these packs. Many times I have been camping and looked behind me while sitting at the campfire and saw 7 or 8 sets of eyes glowing about 50 yards away. That will get your attention.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Simple. Choot it.

Like all "what if" threads, it's situational. If there is a dog charging me that is not under owner control I would annihilate it to the best of my abilities. You ever seen a pitbull get ahold of someone's leg? It doesn't tickle...

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    No, it's not. And unless you make a good hit and drop it in its tracks- it will keep on coming and be even more pissed off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a school of thought to let the dog latch onto you and then bust it. May or may not be the thing to always do but if it does get a hold of you it is a much easier target.
    I am not one to invite a dog bite and the possible disease that may go with it but just something that has been discussed.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    There is a school of thought to let the dog latch onto you and then bust it. May or may not be the thing to always do but if it does get a hold of you it is a much easier target.
    I am not one to invite a dog bite and the possible disease that may go with it but just something that has been discussed.

I remember a thread a while back that had a similar topic as this one. What you're describing was talked about. It makes sense. Throw your arm out front then stab / shoot into the dog.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember a thread a while back that had a similar topic as this one. What you're describing was talked about. It makes sense. Throw your arm out front then stab / shoot into the dog.

That was the tactic discussed. This was by Military people adept in self defense at all levels. A charging dog would be very difficult to hit.
    Dog bites are very nasty.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    That was the tactic discussed. This was by Military people adept in self defense at all levels. A charging dog would be very difficult to hit.
    Dog bites are very nasty.

Yup. Sucking chest wounds have been given to six year olds by a pitbull attack, faces ripped from their skulls, and arms / legs mangled... truly horrifying.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Carry an aluminum baseball bat... Or wooden one. I'd prefer aluminum just for weight savings. Or OC spray. Or both. And a gun. Or all three.

I've thought about what I'd do if (when?) it happens. That I know of, my 'hood is free of large "vicious" dogs. But all it takes is to catch my neighbor's yellow lab, or my other neighbor's boxer at the absolute worst timing - and it could literally be "all over" for my 2 year old in about as long as it has taken me to type out these few lines. What would I do? I'd put myself between my children and the dog and then I'd do whatever it took. And I'm sure I'd take "lumps". But I know that short of an absolutely ideal situation (which is silly), launching projectiles at anywhere from 750 to 1150 FPS out of a little steel tube in a populated neighborhood probably just isn't the way I'd solve a dog issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Carry an aluminum baseball bat... Or wooden one. I'd prefer aluminum just for weight savings. Or OC spray. Or both. And a gun. Or all three.

I've thought about what I'd do if (when?) it happens. That I know of, my 'hood is free of large "vicious" dogs. But all it takes is to catch my neighbor's yellow lab, or my other neighbor's boxer at the absolute worst timing - and it could literally be "all over" for my 2 year old in about as long as it has taken me to type out these few lines. What would I do? I'd put myself between my children and the dog and then I'd do whatever it took. And I'm sure I'd take "lumps". But I know that short of an absolutely ideal situation (which is silly), launching projectiles at anywhere from 750 to 1150 FPS out of a little steel tube in a populated neighborhood probably just isn't the way I'd solve a dog issue.

Exactly.

Top Bottom