• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've been reading along; glad you chose a P365X. I am just a bit curious.... My daughter carries a P365. She is 4'11 and weighs 120#. (BTW, she is not heavy, she is a weighlifter.) Anyway, in the opening post, you expressed desire for a 'smaller gun' to fit a smaller frame. Concealability was also on your wish list. Why did you end up with the X, and not the standard, or the XL? Full disclosure: I carry a P365 and P365XL. I bought an X frame for the P365, and don't like it. Either straight P365 or P365XL. I find the X an odd configuration.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've been reading along; glad you chose a P365X. I am just a bit curious.... My daughter carries a P365. She is 4'11 and weighs 120#. (BTW, she is not heavy, she is a weighlifter.) Anyway, in the opening post, you expressed desire for a 'smaller gun' to fit a smaller frame. Concealability was also on your wish list. Why did you end up with the X, and not the standard, or the XL? Full disclosure: I carry a P365 and P365XL. I bought an X frame for the P365, and don't like it. Either straight P365 or P365XL. I find the X an odd configuration.
    I like the X config. Since I was carrying the standard with a 12 round mag anyway I went with the WC XL modules on my standard 365's.
    Shorter slide for IWB but enough grip to get my hand around with fingers hanging off, and the WC module gives better retention and a bit of swell to it. With the standard module I had issues with hand placement, etc.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    WebSnyper,
    Nice to hear varying opinions. I like my standard P365 for pocket carry. I keep a spare 12-round mag in the off-hand pocket. To me, the XL is too big for pocket carry. I use my XL for AIWB. The longer barrel/holster make it behave much better in that position. Less adjusting needed when changing positions. I tried the WC X grip frame. Too fat for me, and too rough.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Yes, it does seem a bit conflicting with my original criteria, I can see that. Over the past month, I've gone back and forth between all the options discussed here, before finally settling (in my mind) on a standard 365. I shot it at the range and I didn't have a problem with hand placement, I was pretty accurate with it, so I thought it would be a good platform to practice with.

At some point along the way before I decided on the standard 365, I learned of the 365X, and really liked the configuration. I have bigger hands, so I thought it would work even better than the standard, while still having the standard-size slide for concealment. I talked to a friend of similar stature (who carries a standard 365) and he expressed that he thought the longer X grip would be harder for me to conceal. So, from that point, I was sort of settled on the standard 365...

Truth be told, my local shop (and online everywhere I checked) was out of stock for the standard. :laugh: So I kept waiting. Ultimately, I got sick of waiting, and then learned from a friend of the possibility of swapping out grip modules between the standard and the X. I thought that was pretty cool. So I reconsidered the X... then I ordered one. I like the idea that I can buy a standard grip module for a couple bucks if I want to downsize.

A bonus of the X: I really prefer the flat trigger! And it comes standard on the X. :yesway:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes, it does seem a bit conflicting with my original criteria, I can see that. Over the past month, I've gone back and forth between all the options discussed here, before finally settling (in my mind) on a standard 365. I shot it at the range and I didn't have a problem with hand placement, I was pretty accurate with it, so I thought it would be a good platform to practice with.

At some point along the way before I decided on the standard 365, I learned of the 365X, and really liked the configuration. I have bigger hands, so I thought it would work even better than the standard, while still having the standard-size slide for concealment. I talked to a friend of similar stature (who carries a standard 365) and he expressed that he thought the longer X grip would be harder for me to conceal. So, from that point, I was sort of settled on the standard 365...

Truth be told, my local shop (and online everywhere I checked) was out of stock for the standard. :laugh: So I kept waiting. Ultimately, I got sick of waiting, and then learned from a friend of the possibility of swapping out grip modules between the standard and the X. I thought that was pretty cool. So I reconsidered the X... then I ordered one. I like the idea that I can buy a standard grip module for a couple bucks if I want to downsize.

A bonus of the X: I really prefer the flat trigger! And it comes standard on the X. :yesway:
    I really like the flat trigger. Got one on my primary 365. Need to get some for the backups.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Trying to decide between a Glock 43 and a Smith & Wesson Model 642 for a daily carry.

I'd appreciate some insight from you guys, maybe some anecdotal experience from those who have carried either.

Some facts:
    • I haven't yet carried anything (relatively new to firearms, been shooting for ~2 years).
    • I have shot the 43, and I do like it. Haven't tried the 642 yet.
    • I'm trying to get into revolvers, so killing two birds with one stone (making my daily carry a revolver to get some experience with) would be nice. I ain't rich.
    • I'm a pretty small-stature guy, so I think these 2 firearms make sense.
    • I plan to carry appendix.
    What does everyone think? I imagine the topic of capacity will come up. Personally, I don't see the low capacity of either as a downside. But I'm curious as to what everyone thinks. :D
    A J frame is an expert's gun. Are you an expert? If not, why carry an expert's gun?

A Glock 43X is flatter, easier to manipulate, easier one handed when you get shot in the hand, easier to reload and is easier to shoot.

Why the 642? Why would you want to roll check on the hammer? If you are not an expert, why are you doing this? Why not a 638/38 so you can have the hammer when roll checking??

This sounds like a gun store recommendation? Which gun store told you this?

If you want to "get into revolvers", get a K frame .38, 64, 10, etc. or better yet a .22 and get classes under you.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    A J frame is an expert's gun. Are you an expert? If not, why carry an expert's gun?

A Glock 43X is flatter, easier to manipulate, easier one handed when you get shot in the hand, easier to reload and is easier to shoot.

Why the 642? Why would you want to roll check on the hammer? If you are not an expert, why are you doing this? Why not a 638/38 so you can have the hammer when roll checking??

This sounds like a gun store recommendation? Which gun store told you this?

If you want to "get into revolvers", get a K frame .38, 64, 10, etc. or better yet a .22 and get classes under you.
    I'm not a fan of your comment. If I wanted to carry the J frame, not being an "expert" wouldn't have deterred me. I get it, it's not as "beginner friendly," but I've made it very clear in this thread that I'm not being an idiot by picking something and not practicing with it. But you should read the entire thread, if you really wanted to learn that I ultimately decided not to go with the 642.

Which gun store told you this?
    And you shouldn't assume this. I'm a big boy, I learned of its existence through the power of research.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

Thanks for the explanation. As I mentioned, my daughter is 4'11" & 120#, and she prefers to carry the P365 because it fits her hand. All three fingers on the grip and all. I am 6'0" & 210, I can get my pinky halfway on the 10-round extended magazine. My spare mag is a 12-rounder. I bought the 12-round XL for just that - 12 rounds, also the longer grip and longer barrel. My preferred SD ammo is 147gr HST. I have more faith in it out of 3.7" barrel. My standard P365 eats a diet of 115gr Critical Defense. Both are just wonderful guns. The XL actually made me view my full size P320 as redundant. I sold it.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Thanks for the explanation. As I mentioned, my daughter is 4'11" & 120#, and she prefers to carry the P365 because it fits her hand. All three fingers on the grip and all. I am 6'0" & 210, I can get my pinky halfway on the 10-round extended magazine. My spare mag is a 12-rounder. I bought the 12-round XL for just that - 12 rounds, also the longer grip and longer barrel. My preferred SD ammo is 147gr HST. I have more faith in it out of 3.7" barrel. My standard P365 eats a diet of 115gr Critical Defense. Both are just wonderful guns. The XL actually made me view my full size P320 as redundant. I sold it.
    Glad you like and recommend the 365 line. Since you have the standard and the XL, do you carry one or the other depending on what you're wearing, or do you simply like to go back and forth depending on how you feel?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Glad you like and recommend the 365 line. Since you have the standard and the XL, do you carry one or the other depending on what you're wearing, or do you simply like to go back and forth depending on how you feel?
    P365 is a pocket gun, such as just going out for a walk, or running to the grocery store. I find the XL carries better in an AIWB Kydex holster. The longer barrel/slide/holster stays put better. You know, less adjusting as I move around. Though nothing says I can't put the standard 365 in the XL holster, I suppose.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm not a fan of your comment. If I wanted to carry the J frame, not being an "expert" wouldn't have deterred me. I get it, it's not as "beginner friendly," but I've made it very clear in this thread that I'm not being an idiot by picking something and not practicing with it. But you should read the entire thread, if you really wanted to learn that I ultimately decided not to go with the 642.

And you shouldn't assume this. I'm a big boy, I learned of its existence through the power of research.
    Good to hear. Software is to hardware as 3 is to 1.

Classes are worth the coin.

Gun stores usually hawk J frames to beginners. It is less than optimal.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My ol lady said she wanted S&W, stainless, rubber grip and light weight.
    So a 642 was what she THOUGHT.

Couple rounds of reg 38 spcl and she said the recoil too much ( has plate in wrist ).

She rarely shoots so indoors the blast may have added more to the perception than actual recoil. Dunno.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom