• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    This is actually one of the things that attracted me to the J frame. That, and the aluminum frame. I think it would be a nice size and weight for me. I'm pretty small but my hands are on the bigger side. Or at least my fingers are long. So while the G43 does feel good with the pinky extension, I imagine the 642 might fit my hand better. When it comes down to it, I'll have to compare both side by side.

Everyone's input has been quite helpful.
    Shoot one before you make that decision.. Very little to hold on to, excessive recoil, virtually no sights and a 12 pound trigger pull. Easy to carry but for most the negatives outnumber the positives. I know two people that shoot one well but most struggle to get mildly acceptable accuracy with a lightweight snubby.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Shameless plug for a gent that I've traded with more than once. Good guy!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Shoot one before you make that decision.. Very little to hold on to, excessive recoil, virtually no sights and a 12 pound trigger pull. Easy to carry but for most the negatives outnumber the positives. I know two people that shoot one well but most struggle to get mildly acceptable accuracy with a lightweight snubby.
    Yep ,I had been shooting handguns 25 years before buying a 642 and had owned many revolvers including snub nose 357 Magnums . Looking for a lightweight gun to carry I was amazed at the 642 weight, Airweight is a very fitting name indeed. Felt recoil is also far more than I anticipated too! It literally had more felt recoil than my old Model 66 2.5" did firing 357 Magnums.

I can shoot the 642 fairly well but can shoot any of my other small handguns (G42 , G43X ,Shield , P365 and LCP Max) much more accurately. Given the choice between a Glock 43 or Smith 642 for daily carry I would go with the G43.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Welcome!

My 642 had a very heavy trigger pull from the factory - so it got lighter springs. After that it was fine. +P ammo in that gun was stout. The tiny grip doesn't give you much to hold on to, but made it great for pocket carry. That's about the only way I carried it. I had a belt holster for it, but almost never used it. If I was going to belt carry, I wanted a bigger gun. It CAN be very accurate, but I think it takes more practice than the G43. To me, it shines as a back-up gun or a pocket gun.

The G43 was almost too big for pocket carry, unless I wore baggy slacks or cargo shorts. Cool thing about the 43 is there are many mag extensions that allow you to add length and capacity - or you can keep it flush and very small. To me, the 43 is a more versatile firearm, and would be choice if I could only have 1 gun.

Good luck with the choice.

Revo357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Perry County
    My 642 is an awesome gun to concealed carry but I've found that I can shoot my 43X way more accurate. That was really the deciding factor for me. I can sacrifice some concealment for better shot placement, granted I could practice to get more comfortable with the 642..

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    I had a belt holster for it, but almost never used it. If I was going to belt carry, I wanted a bigger gun.
    Why is this? At least for me, I'm looking for something smaller. I'm curious to know why you'd want a bigger gun on your belt.

Cool thing about the 43 is there are many mag extensions that allow you to add length and capacity - or you can keep it flush and very small.
    But yes, this is something I do like about the Glock... I am leaning more toward the 43 again, after this discussion.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Why is this? At least for me, I'm looking for something smaller. I'm curious to know why you'd want a bigger gun on your belt.

But yes, this is something I do like about the Glock... I am leaning more toward the 43 again, after this discussion.

Looking back, I think I was moving toward carrying larger guns for several reasons. I think I reached a tipping point where I had carried for a number of years, grown used to it, and I was willing to change my wardrobe to adapt to carrying/concealing a larger gun. In doing that, a larger gun didn't really become harder to conceal. I also found the tiny grip of the 642 made it difficult to get a good purchase on when drawing from an IWB holster. I also got tired of having sore hands after going to the range. I'd squeeze the thing so darned hard trying to keep the gun from sliding around in my hands during firing that my dominant hand would be sore, sometimes for a few days after shooting.

I think the last part was the final straw. With good belts and holsters the weight of a heavier/larger gun is manageable and I don't mind dressing around them. In return, I get a better draw grip, less recoil, more capacity, and am not in pain after a range session.

642 was still a great gun, not trying to talk ya out of it, that's just what pushed me away from it. It was me, not the gun.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Trying to decide between a Glock 43 and a Smith & Wesson Model 642 for a daily carry.

I'd appreciate some insight from you guys, maybe some anecdotal experience from those who have carried either.

Some facts:
    • I haven't yet carried anything (relatively new to firearms, been shooting for ~2 years).
    • I have shot the 43, and I do like it. Haven't tried the 642 yet.
    • I'm trying to get into revolvers, so killing two birds with one stone (making my daily carry a revolver to get some experience with) would be nice. I ain't rich.
    • I'm a pretty small-stature guy, so I think these 2 firearms make sense.
    • I plan to carry appendix.
    What does everyone think? I imagine the topic of capacity will come up. Personally, I don't see the low capacity of either as a downside. But I'm curious as to what everyone thinks. :D
    How about a CZ P10S?
    10 and 12rd magazines can also use 15 and 19rd CZ P10C and F magazines.
    Basically the same size as the G43
    Very reliable, accurate and CZ quality.
    Better ergonomics, and trigger as well.

$328

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looking back, I think I was moving toward carrying larger guns for several reasons. I think I reached a tipping point where I had carried for a number of years, grown used to it, and I was willing to change my wardrobe to adapt to carrying/concealing a larger gun. In doing that, a larger gun didn't really become harder to conceal. I also found the tiny grip of the 642 made it difficult to get a good purchase on when drawing from an IWB holster. I also got tired of having sore hands after going to the range. I'd squeeze the thing so darned hard trying to keep the gun from sliding around in my hands during firing that my dominant hand would be sore, sometimes for a few days after shooting.

I think the last part was the final straw. With good belts and holsters the weight of a heavier/larger gun is manageable and I don't mind dressing around them. In return, I get a better draw grip, less recoil, more capacity, and am not in pain after a range session...

On top of the fact, that if you need your pistol for actual self defense, you REALLY NEED your pistol. What you don't need, anywhere in the gunfight, is to be wondering if you brought enough gun, with your comfortable compromise. Did Ely have enough gun? Probably, just enough... ;)

The seasoned appendix carrier will often carry a G19 in a G17 holster. The longer holster keeping the smaller slide pistol better positioned when sitting, driving and going up and down between. Also keeps from having to reposition the pistol each time after every time up and down. I'm not a regular appendix carrier, but when I have "deep carried" appendix, with my G43, I can attest that the little pistol is constantly trying to roll the gunbelt one direction or the other. After any up or down, it always needs adjusting.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    How about a CZ P10S?
    10 and 12rd magazines can also use 15 and 19rd CZ P10C and F magazines.
    Basically the same size as the G43
    Very reliable, accurate and CZ quality.
    Better ergonomics, and trigger as well.

$328
    The CZ P10 variants are awesome pistols, but a P10S is in a completely different size/weight class vs a G43.
    It's more of a Glock 26 alternative.

Direct competitor to the Glock 43 would be the CZ P10M in the P10 lineup.

P10M.PNG

It's an interesting option. Holds 7+1 instead of 6+1 like the G43. Very budget friendly as well, probably because most everyone wants at least 10+1 in their micro 9 these days. Still beats the hell out of a snubby, though. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hey, at the same time, having a gun is having a gun!

For a lot of us, there is no such thing as not having a gun. :nono:

The question is whether you dress around the tool for the job, or you compromise the tool, hoping it will be enough for a lesser job?

You don't get to choose when and where you will need self defense. It'd be simple if you did, you just wouldn't go there.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    There are a few other choices out there such as the Walther PPS M2 LE. Many things i read or videos i watched compared it very close to the glock for how it worked. The LE version comes with nite sights and the 3 mags i mention above..regular models only come with the 6, 7 round mags. It's a single stack and very slim compared to most all others. Capacity for mags are 6, 7, 8. I cc at the 4oclock. After a bit you'll forget it was there. Best to buy a used 1 for that trigger brake in you won't have to do.
    Another option is the cheaper Taurus G3C. At less than $300 new, it felt really good in hand and is a double stack mag. I haven't shot my daughters yet, but just holding, gripping and such it was nice.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    The question is whether you dress around the tool for the job, or you compromise the tool, hoping it will be enough for a lesser job?
    I think this comes down to a personal question, though. What you might see as a compromise, someone else might not. Otherwise, we'd have one gun to rule them all, with no room for choice, and personal preference wouldn't play a role. Not to mention budget, ergonomics, and other criteria.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    There are a few other choices out there such as the Walther PPS M2 LE. Many things i read or videos i watched compared it very close to the glock for how it worked. The LE version comes with nite sights and the 3 mags i mention above..regular models only come with the 6, 7 round mags. It's a single stack and very slim compared to most all others. Capacity for mags are 6, 7, 8. I cc at the 4oclock. After a bit you'll forget it was there. Best to buy a used 1 for that trigger brake in you won't have to do.
    Another option is the cheaper Taurus G3C. At less than $300 new, it felt really good in hand and is a double stack mag. I haven't shot my daughters yet, but just holding, gripping and such it was nice.
    I'm going to look into this as well. Thanks! I do like the Walthers I've shot. And I own a PDP which is great. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think this comes down to a personal question, though. What you might see as a compromise, someone else might not. Otherwise, we'd have one gun to rule them all, with no room for choice, and personal preference wouldn't play a role. Not to mention budget, ergonomics, and other criteria.

Don't forget training. Be sure to take your tiny gun to a class or two. See how it performs in your hands on a prescribed course of fire, vs how others do?

Local competitions would also be a decent measure, to go along with the training.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm going to look into this as well. Thanks! I do like the Walthers I've shot. And I own a PDP which is great. :)
    Read up on the pps triggers and how to make them less heavy. If your into wheel guns, it probably won't notice. I gave 350 for my LE version which i thought was a great deal. I have seen them for less. Walther USA is also in Tennessee if ever a problem.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Don't forget training. Be sure to take your tiny gun to a class or two. See how it performs in your hands on a prescribed course of fire, vs how others do?

Local competitions would also be a decent measure, to go along with the training.

I plan on it! Training for sure, and as far as competition goes, I'm a member at Riley CC. I might start there.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Shoot both. Buy and carry the one you shoot best.

Don't trust your life to anecdotal experience from people on the internet.
    This. Doesn't matter what we think. Depends on what YOU think, are proficient with and comfortable carrying. Neither of those options would work for me personally because I am not familiar nor proficient with them. Throw any size 1911 in my hand and that changes for me. But.... I've been shooting 1911's for 25 years now. Anything else feels foreign.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yeah folks, 1911's work too and are great once you drop a kidney on them. Same with jeeps. Great after you put 30k into them.
    **** breaks on revolvers if you put it through not even half the abuse a glock could take
    After 25 years, I've never spent more than $750 on any of my 1911's. Some of the cheapest ones I've had worked the best but I won't ever tell a new shooter to go that route. Hell, I won't tell ANYONE what weapon they should use. That's a personal choice that they have to make. What works for you (or me, or anyone else) is completely irrelevant.

Top Bottom