What Should the US do if/when China Invades Taiwan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How should the US react to a Chinese Invasion of Taiwan?

• Send US forces to directly confront Chinese forces.

Votes: 11 21.6%
    • Support Taiwan with weapons, supplies and advisors.

Votes: 12 23.5%
    • Stand back and react only with diplomacy and maybe sanctions. It's not our war.

Votes: 28 54.9%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I've been to China several times and I try to keep up with Asian news. I'm interested in what the INGO group thinks about how the US should react to a Taiwan invasion understanding it's a non-scientific poll of midwesterners that lean conservative to libertarian.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    War is an extension of politics and economics. It is in the US best interest to support Taiwan, Japan and that region. Lot of commerce moves on those waters. Maybe we don’t launch missiles but providing the means and materials should be on the table.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Most Americans can't find Taiwan on a map. There will be no nationwide mobilization behind a massive new war with a nuclear power. It's not even whether we should, it's that we CAN'T. Not after emptying the stockpiles for Ukraine. Pre-Ukraine it was estimated that we only had the stockpiles to sustain a couple weeks of actual full scale naval and air conflict with China. What's it now? With recession and inflation, are Americans going to accept ration books and mandatory orders for war production? Is the zoomer who spends all day doing TikToks gonna learn how to assemble a Tomahawk guidance system? Are the BLMers and street pooping schizos of San Francisco gonna suddenly shut their big mouths and work double shifts welding new destroyers together?

Nah bro. It doesn't even matter if we have a compelling interest in the war. America in 2023 is not capable of a major war effort.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Taiwan is a very tricky subject. I feel for the people of Taiwan as I sure as hell wouldn't want to be absorbed into China, but it would be very bad if we went to war with China. Taiwan is kind of an apple to both sides, as they make the best semi-conductors in the world, which everything from AI to Stinger Missiles operate with semi-conductors.

Going to war with China would be worse for the US than to China, not entirely because they have a stronger military, but because our economy would greatly suffer. Unlike Russia, the US imports most of our manufactured goods, electronics, pharmaceuticals, rare earth elements, etc. from China. You thought the shortages in 2020 were bad (compared to historical shortages, that was a time of affluence), you haven't seen anything yet. Some have suggested that China wouldn't shut off their biggest flow of income, as the Chinese economy is somewhat shaky. Perhaps, but it isn't something I would rely on. It seems their government is more interested in world domination than making money (money being a means to an end). We're also talking about the country that welded people into their apartments for months and ceasing billions in revenue from exports to try and achieve a zero tolerance covid policy. Also keep in mind they have the rest of BRICS+ to trade with.

The US is mainly a service economy, and I don't think shifting it to a war economy would really work. As @Ark mentioned earlier, there are many people here that will not or are not able to step up and "help out Uncle Sam" in the tank factories, some would actually cheer on China. Not only that, but the shift couldn't happen overnight, it would take time to reconfigure factories and train workers. Lastly, even if we did have the factories and technicians, we need materials to build things with: steel, aluminum, rare earth elements, semi-conductors, etc.

This wouldn't go down like Pearl Harbor, where everyone pitched in afterwards. People shoot each other over a chicken sandwich here. As much as I don't like China (I believe they are one of the greatest threats to the world), there are certain realities (thanks to are glorious leaders in government) that constrain the situation.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If and when they invade it will be too late. It’s stopping them from doing it in the first place. Taiwan has been in a civil war since end of WWII. They have had all that time to get ready, to an acquire nukes or what ever it takes. Just like Ukraine, they had nukes and gave them up. I would back Taiwan to an extent, but when invasion comes it’s too late. Best retaliation would get us and other countries to stop trade and no more food for China and they can starve. Nixon should have left China alone.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Since sending Ukraine all our stockpiles of missiles/rockets there isn't a whole lot we can do. Unless we gear up for war, and start producing mass quantities of everything we gave away, and Ukraine squandered.
    We cannot sustain a war with China as we are now and everyone knows it including China.
    Some voted for this kind of stupid.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'd do nothing, because the outcome will be the same no matter what gets done. China can invade and secure that island before anyone steps foot on the land. It's way too close to them for any issues to happen.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I don't think you guys know the Taiwanese. They can and will kick ass until US naval assets can begin disassembling their Chinese counterparts. But it is imperative that we do so. Taiwan is obviously one, but so are South Korea, Japan, The Philippines, Australia, and several others in the neighborhood.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Some voted for this kind of stupid.

That was my warning when the "must get rid of mean tweets" crowd was so vocal here.
    It's not just the guy at the top of the ticket you need to be worried about.
    They had ZERO regard for the downstream ideologues that come with a biden administration.
    There isn't an area of domestic or foreign policy that is not FUBAR now.
    Short sighted morons.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The U.S. will do nothing more than tough talk and sanctions (whatever that even means anymore). We'll do nothing because we can't. Does it really matter whether we buy our computer chips from Taiwan or China? Both ways, the U.S. is still dependent upon another nation for a product (computer chips) that is considered "required" by todays standards. Our motives for defending Taiwan are suspect. Our ability to defend Taiwan is also suspect.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hope they don't keep coming east and take over our west coast.

Behind every blade of grass in California, Oregon, and Washington is a liberal wanting to become a communist.

View attachment 269390
    They would probably join China, and help fight the remaining red states because I think many of the blue states leadership would join them.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    So we should sit back and let china get stronger and stronger?
    At some point they will come take us.
    We need to put a end to that while we still have a chance.
    Of course alot of people dont have a problem having a illegitimate president weaking our country.
    We are screwed!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So we should sit back and let china get stronger and stronger?
    At some point they will come take us.
    We need to put a end to that while we still have a chance.
    Of course alot of people dont have a problem having a illegitimate president weaking our country.
    We are screwed!

Yet folks keep buying from them...more and more

Top Bottom