• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    May have a line on a few stripped A2 uppers.

What should I do with them?

At the very least - a 20" rifle upper build?

Should I muck around with a dissipator?

I could do a not-correct XM177-esque clone?

M4gery?

Or just do 1 20" upper and then keep the other? Sell it?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    L5hwEEn.jpg

tTE9Rx5.jpg

You know what you must do

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You know what you must do
    I don't know if I have the money to do both. LOL

I think it'll be easier to do the "correct" A2 20" clone vs. the dissy. I also don't know if I want to muck with the inherent issues that dissies have, though I could suppress it and then not really worry about those issues.

Who am I kidding with any of this, though. I hardly shoot what I currently have. LOL

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’d go for a classic A2 20”, honestly. But anything with the ol’ A1 or A2 uppers is cool whether it’s a clone or not. I used to have an old A1 20” with the original 1:12” pencil barrel. I built an A1ish lower for it, and man was it a fun rifle. I foolishly sold it (like I have so many others), but I’ll build another some day. Shot a few comps with it back in the day and the old girl worked like a champ. A light, handy rifle like that (even at 20”!) was a joy to shoot, because target transitions were so fast and it was easy to lug around all day. Just like Eugene intended! :D

Here’s a photo from the Christmas match one year, probably around 2010-2012 or so.

IMG_1390.jpeg

I never have had an A2, and very much need to change that sometime soon! Post photos when you’re done!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The only improvement I like on an A2 upper is a match barrel and free float handguard tube.

Ok, maybe a well machined 1/2 MOA rear sight with a National Match aperature. I can deal with a 1moa rear sight as long as it repeats.

The stock charging handle and forward assist are fine.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    The correct answers (I acknowledge it's really up to personal interests, tastes and opinion) if you have two uppers are, the already mentioned military configuration M16A2 upper, and an early M4 config fixed A2 carry handle.

I'm looking to do the same by changing barrels on my first AR upper from eons ago which is an A1/C7 pattern upper to create a complete upper close to the Colt 723. I'm looking at a 14.7" M4 barrel so pinning and welding a standard A2 flash hider will allow it to be used other than on SBR lowers; the extra 0.2" of barrel does not look as dorky as a 16" M4 barrel (although I do have one on a Colt factory 6920). The ATF brace fiasco has left a couple of AR pistol lowers looking for new homes as 16" rifles.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm hoping that by scrounging, I can assemble enough parts and pieces for these to get two assembled without a whole lot of extra cost.

Firmly in the poverty pony genre of things here!

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    The last A2 I had was used to make an M16A2 Clone

This lower shipped to FFL: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-m16a2-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver.html
    This barrel kit; https://www.del-ton.com/Del-Ton-Barrel-Kit-p/kt1009.htm
    This LPK; https://palmettostatearmory.com/a2-rifle-build-kit.html
    BCG $69
    M16 Silent sling from SARCO $11

I didn't want to spend the $45-$100 for the M16A2 rear sight parts... I'm not going to be shooting out to 500yd+ that the original M16A2 was meant for. I had one of these laying around https://www.mountsplus.com/ncstar-ar-carry-handle.html I got it at a gun show for $25.

I disassembled it and reinstalled it in my stripped upper. Worked like a charm.

My current A2 is a Del-ton HBAR Dissipator, with CAR-15 stock and A1 HG. It's a 1997 North Hollywood Shootout Dissipator clone. I'm not usually one to make bad guy guns but that thing looked so slick. This one uses an "M4" U.S. marked PSA lower.

20230615_210412.jpg

I wish I had pics of the M16A2, that thing looked almost genuine.

All in all both builds cost around $600-$700 to build. You could potentially do an A2 for cheaper especially if you just use whatever 20" kit that goes on sale and an Anderson lower, but I wanted to be kind of cloney.

I have one A2 upper left. It will be built into a Blood Diamond/BHD style build with slim CAR handguards, CAR stock and probably either a 14.5 Pencil Profile or a 10-12 inch barrel with pinned and welded faux Moderator.

Top Bottom