www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Push-button w/ keyed backup.

GunVault MiniVault for me. Pretty sure I have the GV2000S. Mine has the shelf in it.

It can comfortably fit 3 holstered firearms + reloads.

ETA: When my first born wasn't yet mobile, I'd open the thing at night and then close it in the morning when I got ready for work. Now that I have 2 kids that are old enough to seriously get into trouble - it's locked almost 100% of the time unless I'm removing or reinstalling something.

And I HOPE that I never have to open that thing, at night, and in a panic.... But I still wouldn't trust a biometric one due to what has been stated above.

I have several since I have kids. Sadly, the 1st gen is MUCH better. (runs on a bank of AAs. newer ones use a 9V) My first one feels almost like the unit is registering keys before I can press them. I cant outrun it. My newer 9V powered unit is sluggish and I have to be careful I dont press them too fast. I even had the factory replace it and the new one does the same so its not a fluke.

I ran a test using the newer, slower GV and my SIRT pistol/LASR trainer. At the beep, it was actually faster to retrieve a "loaded pistol" from the GV than it was to simulate the "kid safe" unloaded pistol on the nightstand where I had to pick up the gun, insert the mag, and rack the slide before using.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Before buying a gun safe . . . you should watch this video . . . Marc Tobias began investigating gun safes and how easily kids can defeat them after a Vancouver, WA LEO's three year old son accessed the safe with his pistol and killed himself with it. This video is about Stack-On, but nearly all gun safes found on Amazon.com, and in stores like Rural King, Wal-Mart, Cabela's, etc., are so easily defeated by kids using very simple items readily available around the house that it's frightening. I came to the conclusion after watching this and other videos about how gun safes can be hacked within seconds using nearly nothing that a gun safe like one of these equates to not having one. At about 5:30 into the video, an inset shows a toddler accessing two different brands of gun safes in under 10 seconds with zero tools. They're surmising it's how the Vancouver LEO's son got into his safe.

[video=youtube;CEsxltQ4ZCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsxltQ4ZCM[/video]

Tobias has a number of videos with details about various models of gun safes:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/mwtobias/search?query=gun

I don't advocate not having and using a safe or lock with children around, even occasional visitors like grandkids, or during a party with guests, who sometimes go snooping around. You don't want a half-tanked guest who's absolutely clueless about firearm safety waving a pistol around like a pom-pom. (Oooh . . . look at what I found everyone!) The stuff I and my brother got into as kids was astonishing and we figured out how to open everything in sight. It took keyed locks to stop us, for a while, until we were old enough to use a small screwdriver and paper clip at about 13 years old. The problem is finding safes and locks that are sufficiently secure. Kids, especially middle school age, will scour the Internet and YouTube to watch how to defeat locks in general out of curiosity (not just gun safes). They then test that knowledge on every lock they can find. That's a blanket statement, and only some percentage of kids will do such things, but it's plenty high enough to be a major hazard if a lock isn't sufficiently secure. May not be your kid, but what about all his friends?

Food for thought when buying gun locks and gun safes. I don't have a safe recommendation as I've not found one yet that can withstand the kind of manipulation Tobias discusses that doesn't cost a small fortune.

John

Last edited:

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    Dimitrivich, humorous...you keepa unsin that word, I don thin it means what you thin it means.

I have a couple of safes, I don't keep defensive weapons in them. I teach my family to respect weapons and how to shoot straight, but I suppose that's too 1600's for you.

:::sigh:::

Can we continue this later? I need to go quiz my two-year-old and make sure he still remembers the 4 rules of gun safety.

PhxCollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Indiana
    I use a barska mini biometric - no external key (you have to remove a plate to see one) and 30 fingerprint storage. I have multiple angle thumb prints registered and all my other fingers.

I mounted it to a drawer and cable locked it to a stud. I wipe off the print reader after use, so I think todlers accessing it is impossible and teens almost impossible.

It cost about $150 on amazon

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a GunVault MultiVault. The key works fine, but the electronic lock just stopped working one day. I had it about 8 years before that happened.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Always thought I wanted to replace my GunVault with a biometric version. My thought has changed.

Thanks everyone for your information and experiences. Gotta love INGO! :ingo:

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    For Tactically Fat, Amazon has the V-Line. I use one and like it. Simple Simplex lock easy to open with the code. No battery. Will not pop open like shown on some videos with other safes. Sturdy enough to keep the curious out.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Before buying a gun safe . . . you should watch this video . . . Marc Tobias began investigating gun safes and how easily kids can defeat them after a Vancouver, WA LEO's three year old son accessed the safe with his pistol and killed himself with it. This video is about Stack-On, but nearly all gun safes found on Amazon.com, and in stores like Rural King, Wal-Mart, Cabela's, etc., are so easily defeated by kids using very simple items readily available around the house that it's frightening. I came to the conclusion after watching this and other videos about how gun safes can be hacked within seconds using nearly nothing that a gun safe like one of these equates to not having one. At about 5:30 into the video, an inset shows a toddler accessing two different brands of gun safes in under 10 seconds with zero tools. They're surmising it's how the Vancouver LEO's son got into his safe.

[video=youtube;CEsxltQ4ZCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsxltQ4ZCM[/video]

Tobias has a number of videos with details about various models of gun safes:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/mwtobias/search?query=gun

I don't advocate not having and using a safe or lock with children around, even occasional visitors like grandkids, or during a party with guests, who sometimes go snooping around. You don't want a half-tanked guest who's absolutely clueless about firearm safety waving a pistol around like a pom-pom. (Oooh . . . look at what I found everyone!) The stuff I and my brother got into as kids was astonishing and we figured out how to open everything in sight. It took keyed locks to stop us, for a while, until we were old enough to use a small screwdriver and paper clip at about 13 years old. The problem is finding safes and locks that are sufficiently secure. Kids, especially middle school age, will scour the Internet and YouTube to watch how to defeat locks in general out of curiosity (not just gun safes). They then test that knowledge on every lock they can find. That's a blanket statement, and only some percentage of kids will do such things, but it's plenty high enough to be a major hazard if a lock isn't sufficiently secure. May not be your kid, but what about all his friends?

Food for thought when buying gun locks and gun safes. I don't have a safe recommendation as I've not found one yet that can withstand the kind of manipulation Tobias discusses that doesn't cost a small fortune.

John

All those so called "safes" are not technically safes.
    They are classified as residential security countainers.
    Just a box made of very thin metal (they add sheetrock to make the walls seem thicker) with lock that is easy to bypass with simple tools and technique.

Even if you buy a $4,000 "safe" the paperwork will probably not have the word "safe" anywhere but say residential security container.
    They can't pass the UL rating to be called safes.

7caa036e1a62debeb0b3f22bcf465140_f60.jpg

And most insurance companies will not consider those to be safes either.
    Those boxes have to be WAY tougher to be considered safes (the kinds used by banks and businesses).

If you get your "safe" in a hardware store you can be sure someone can break into it in under 5 minutes with common power tool or by picking the lock.

They also use composite doors (meaning it's not 100% steel, it's mainly air and sheetrock inside).

dooredgedetail.jpg

That composite door has two layers of steel, some just have one.
    The side walls usually just have one.

They don't offer more protection that a gun cabinet.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I love me two Fort Knox pistol safes.

16E928DE-2881-408A-9CEC-5FF6A30C4BF1_zps1ukgkvx5.jpg

221EADC0-F567-4BE9-A019-334AFCD5B1D8_zpsmgjx142w.jpg

D7E83495-CC0C-4FD1-9E02-6E245419C22F_zpstvl0g3gs.jpg

6C06EF03-138F-44E3-B70E-28B502D125D8_zpsgdiryekn.jpg

4B1E6B2B-FC53-4639-B7D0-39A0390C1E78_zpsqasaln5a.jpg

I do have one Gunvault that the wife uses. It's the older version and it has been good to us.

You already posted those pictures several times.Your car setup is really great.
    You can probably get access to it from the driver's seat (as well as passenger seat and back seat) and it's hidden in the trunk at the same time.
    You can also access it from the trunk.

From what I have seen Fort Knox probably makes the best products of that size.
    They seem to use thicker steel than others and better quality locks.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I thank all that have replied ,the real world use by all of you will save me hours of internet searches. Two grand kids 3 and 6 visit two or three times a week .Just wanna be safer with them around . My daughter will get one also for their house also . All other guns a locked away in a safe.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Question about the fast accessibility of a night time safe. If you *may* need super quick access to a gun at night, leave it open. That way you won't worry about fidgeting with locks and shtuff. With kids and stuff, lock it back up in the morning, safe and sound.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    You already posted those pictures several times.Your car setup is really great.
    You can probably get access to it from the driver's seat (as well as passenger seat and back seat) and it's hidden in the trunk at the same time.
    You can also access it from the trunk.

From what I have seen Fort Knox probably makes the best products of that size.
    They seem to use thicker steel than others and better quality locks.
    Yes, I can get into it from the front seat but the average height person would have to lean the seat back to reach back to fold the rear seat down to get too it.

Heres some more info on it.

The Original Pistol box by Fort Knox features one of the most rugged designs of any pistol box on the market. With a 10 gauge body, and a 3/16" door this top opening box screams quality, and craftsmanship. This pistol box works well as a control access box in any safe, or as a bedside table box, and much more. The first time this pistol box is picked up, it is obvious it is better than any import box. Don't miss out, get a pistol box from Ft Knox. Fort Knox also makes a Shotgun Box, a Personal Pistol Box, an Auto Pistol Box, and a true Control Access Box.Security

• Bolt-down capable
    • 10-Gauge Steel Body
    • 3/16” wrap around door
    SPECIFICATIONS

• Exterior Dimensions: 4 1/4″H x 12 1/2″W x 10 3/8″D
    • Weight: 22 lbs.
    I think this one is the next one I'm going to buy for a dedicated bed side gun.

FAS1 SAFE, LLC

Right now I'm just using my EDC for a nightstand gun. I'm use a safariland ALS SLS level 4 retention holster that is bolted down to my bed rail.

7DC1BE4B-0FDA-4F2F-960A-38B58678A32F_zpsk10rfrw8.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I use a crap Ass digit code required one. It works. It keeps the kids out.
    In a pinch (and I've tried) it works wonders.
    30$ Walmart jobby...

It won't keep the thieves out (oh sure I could bolt it down) but that isn't really the point.
    Take it for what it's worth...

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've given all my kids advanced tactical training. They each have an FN 45 Tactical with suppressor and Surefire light under their pillows. This allows me to save money on needing to buy a safe.

Top Bottom