• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So I'm locked in a desperate debate on the best way to carry an M&P when a FS is just to big. On one hand, I think, "hey, just get compact!" But on the other hand, I think, "I wonder if cutting a FS mag well down to a compact mag size would be better." Then I think, "why not just get one of each?!?!" Sadly, option 3 is not viable at this time.

Option 1 benefits: the smaller grip and barrel decrease print and discomfort to the junk with an appendix carry.
    Option 2 benefits: maintain accuracy of a FS barrel while decreasing the print.
    Option 3 benefits: 2 guns! Next question!

has anyone cut a FS down? What are your thoughts on balance etc? It sounds like a good idea to me right now and I need you to talk me out of it, if it's not.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Go compact. Its very versatile. You can go from a FS grip with 17 rounds to a flat based 12 rounder that hides well.

A carry gun does not have to tack 1" hole out to 50 yards. The 3.5" barrel on the compact will do fine.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    What holster are you running the M&Pfs in for AIWB?

If it is not a purpose-built rig, I would suggest looking to that before deciding to chop it or replace it.

By purpose-built, I mean designed for appendix carry, not a holster with a neutral cant just called an appendix holster. Something with a molded wedge on the front to tuck the grip laterally and/or a foam wedge on the muzzle to tuck vertically.

The foam wedge aids the most with comfort at the muzzle end, but can also provide some tuck toward the body. I can send you some foam to try out on your holster if you like. Just shoot me a PM and cover shipping, I have all sorts of good neoprene cutoffs.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In my opinion, full sized pistols carry BETTER than smaller pistols. They are more stable with more mass below the waist line. As said above, a proper holster designed for AIWB is crucial.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Maybe a Shield. They are only about $400 OTD. Cutting down the grip or trading the full size is going to cost something if you go new. Having two handguns is never a bad idea. Never know when one will go down or disappear for some reason. Shield would make a fine backup or carry options for those times a full size is not an option.

If one gun is the only option I really like the M&Pc, SR9c, G26/19 or XDm 3.8 compact. The guns are still big enough to shoot, easy to carry, have short grips and full size magazine options.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    In response: I don't have a purpose built Appy carry. I'm hoping that Raven will add M&P to their Eidolon line. So I'm not currently carrying that way, but I want to.
    I am leaning toward the compact but then I saw the FS with the reduced grip and was intrigued...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If it was me, I'd leave the FS as is, and save up and buy another gun. Either the compact, or the shield. I've seen both of those pop up in the classifieds all the time.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If it was me, I'd leave the FS as is, and save up and buy another gun. Either the compact, or the shield. I've seen both of those pop up in the classifieds all the time.

Agreed, and my pick for the second would be the compact. Takes same mags, fits same holsters, etc.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Or trade the FS for a compact.

It'll do everything that big brother will do. Yes, you do give up a tad bit of sight radius. Big deal.

It'll probably get you made fun of by Steve Fisher if you take a class with him, too. Big deal. :D

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have a FS already that I'm not going to alter. So the next purchase would be my second gun/BUG. I'm really leaning toward the compact. But the idea of making bank on selling it for way more than it's worth in the classifieds is growing on me.... Lol

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a FS already that I'm not going to alter. So the next purchase would be my second gun/BUG. I'm really leaning toward the compact. But the idea of making bank on selling it for way more than it's worth in the classifieds is growing on me.... Lol

You see plastic guns actually selling for a lot of money right now? From my perspective the gun market is soft. Just because it is for sale on the internet does not mean much.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

You and I are actually in exact opposite situations. I bought the compact because of its slightly smaller size and more versatile carry options but am starting to eye a FS to complete the family. (My wife has the Shield)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was joking as per the suggestions on page 1...

Sorry I didn't catch the joke. :): All the silly used gun prices never cease to amaze me.

No your aftermarket mods on a plastic production gun don't add any value. And no a used gun is not worth more then a new gun.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I carry a compact. Carrying a spare FS mag is a nice 'feature'.
    I would recommend it if you can save for one.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    You and I are actually in exact opposite situations. I bought the compact because of its slightly smaller size and more versatile carry options but am starting to eye a FS to complete the family. (My wife has the Shield)

Ohhhhh I don't see what the problem is here...just get five of them like I did and then you stop thinking about it so much!!:):

Top Bottom