• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I graduated in 92 and was supposed to join the Navy via the boost program, but ended up leaving MEPs before signing my life way (didn't trust the recruiter as being honest). Job opportunity was pretty bleak in Alamogordo and my father was seperating from the Air Force, and Salem (hometown) is where he decided to move the family. Crime and drugs were supposed to be close to none (turns out not the case). And honestly after moving around my whole life every couple years, having to make new friends growing up, i just decided to let the grass grown between my feet and just planted myself in Salem.
    It's not the area I left in 86 for certain. Salem made the news up here yesterday (although it was the Becks Mill area, Salem in address only) with a defensive gun use.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    … back in the day when classes weren't weighted, so an A in gym class counted for more than a B in physics, and I took all of the college prep classes without a study hall. It still irks me that I got beat out by people that took nothing but the easiest classes, can you tell?
    lol. feel your pain. I was Salutatorian (number 2) in my graduating class - the Valedictorian edged me out by only a little bit, maybe 10ths of a point, for the same reason. I was actually pretty clueless about the competitive aspects of this. It didn’t matter in the long run, nor really even in the short run - college acceptances and scholarships and all that had really already been decided. The last semester of high school really didn’t matter much unless you failed something.

And being Salutatorian I got all the academic glory :D but I didn’t have to give a speech at graduation.:woot:

At least I don’t think I did. Patience0830 do you remember? Crap, I’m getting old.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You are old. Stay 29 like me.

Eh. I was 29 once and didn't like it. Then I got old.

Then I chose to not be old.

Now I run a business making supplies that allow folks to gunsmith their own rifles, have a side seasonal business repairing and tuning bicycles, and sub teach at MSD schools whenever I get the time. I take my guitar (usually electric) and play music for the kids if they act right. A couple of my songs ("Grandpa in a 'Vette" and "Happy Song") are pretty popular with the 7th thru 9th graders. Under 7th like anything I play.

I couldn't do any of this at age 29.

Grandma Smith died in 1996. In the years before she died, she made sure that I understood she was in her second childhood, that, at some point, I'd be able to enter a second childhood, too. I'm pretty sure I hit it around three years ago.

I wouldn't ever want to be as old as 29 again. I might have to care about things that don't really matter.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    lol. feel your pain. I was Salutatorian (number 2) in my graduating class - the Valedictorian edged me out by only a little bit, maybe 10ths of a point, for the same reason. I was actually pretty clueless about the competitive aspects of this. It didn’t matter in the long run, nor really even in the short run - college acceptances and scholarships and all that had really already been decided. The last semester of high school really didn’t matter much unless you failed something.

And being Salutatorian I got all the academic glory :D but I didn’t have to give a speech at graduation.:woot:

At least I don’t think I did. Patience0830 do you remember? Crap, I’m getting old.
    I started reading your post and at first I was thinking "when in the hell did I post in this thread?", lol! It was the same for me except there were 4 of us separated by a few 10ths of a point and our graduation ceremony was held prior to finals so the final standings weren't set yet. All 4 of us had to give speeches! With 4 speeches and the largest graduating class up to that point (53), it was a much longer ceremony than normal.

Oh, and SHS '99.

Top Bottom