What firearm is everyone carrying in an IWB holster or similar?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Full size 1911 usually, compact 4" 1911 most of the rest of the time, SIG P228 sometimes. "Summer Special" or VSM2 holsters for the 1911s, a Raven for the SIG.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sig P226 MK25 in a Kholster.

kholster.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Currently, a 3" Ruger GP100 in a Galco Summer Comfort.

Also in the testing phase with a Sig P220 and a Crossbreed.

For years I carried a full size 1911 in a High Noon Holsters IWB.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I carry my either my G19 or my Springfield loaded 1911 both in CompTac infidel IWB holsters.

I think the next pistol I get for carry will be a Sig traditional compact 1911.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks everyone for the ideas and comments. Don't do open carry in "town" for multiple reasons including tactical, social and professional.

For dress pants pocket carry have a Colt Pony DAO 380 and a hammer less aluminum S&W J frame for Dockers. I have been looking at something along the Kahr or Rohbar in 9mm for a "pocket gun" but thinking a compact but a little larger and thus better sights, capacity etc. hand gun in an IWB is a plus. Myself won't carry a safe action Glock w/o out a holster that covers the trigger securly, that said have a G17 and the G19 is a classic "compact handgun" that lives nicely as a full size side arm. Noticed friends G19s will fit in my Dockers (tight but fits ;-).

Use to carry a 1911 (replaced a 4" M29 with 45 "Long Colt" loads thirty plus years ago). In later years went to a Sig P220 (West Germany that works great) and recently been doing better with 9mm (see comment on bone on bone contact in hand). Thus tried a Beretta M92 for a bit (carried safety off as double action first shot, but if the safety is on ... not so good as my reflexes are to press the safety down to fire, not up .... friend with a PPK is all set now as he has two guns with a backward safety ;-). Since I find myself with the S&W J frame in an IWB holster more and more, been thinking maybe something a little smaller than the P220 is in order. Also have a STI 9mm that is an option (or a commander size aluminum frame version), however, would really like a DA gun for when it is off me and in the truck.

Well enough back ground for now, appreciate the ideas and keep them coming.

Always one of the 1911s, usually one of the 4" on compact frame.
    Currently, this gun in this holster.

Thanks, however, myself had to give up on the Officer size 1911's due to too much bone on bone contact with the left hand, can not reliably pull back the side quickly. Down side to being old (can get my hand worked on but a chance that will then have nerve damage and be even worst off with no feeling in the hand .... so not for now).

This combined with many of the clients not wishing me to carry (i.e. would not get a second visit and thus no money ;-) ends up with the sidearm having to spend too much of it's time in the truck. While have carried a cocked and locked 1911 for years, don't really trust a cocked and locked 1911 bouncing around the truck (ok the hand gun has it's own spot just behind the center counsel .. but still better off with a double action pistol in my mind).

Either a M&P Shield or an XDM .40 in a Comp-Tac MTAC Holster.

Looked at a blue plastic M&P Shield the other day, looks interesting.

Will probably pass on the SA products, only because I had 13 of their guns (half dozen M1As, one Class III M14 and assorted others) and everyone of them would not shoot a 100 rounds with out failing ... over and over after repairs, trips back, trips to other gun smiths etc. Have friends that have several SA M1As that work fine, but just a bad string of luck over the last 30 years .... and if get another SA firearm it would be a M1A, but might not live long enough to get around to that, as will be 60 this year (besides have several HK91s and FALs that work fine ;-).

Thanks
    John

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Friend borrowed my USP Tactical half a dozen years ago and I am not sure if he took it off except to shower (I hope). Thus we worked out a five year long trade, that included 10k rounds of 8mm ammo, an HK93, Tittle II Sten, FAL, Sako TRG-42, assorted optics and smaller items (I like nice long trades with a spread sheet and discounts ;-). To this day he still has it tucked in his belt (saves thickness) when ever I have seen him and maybe the rest of the time ;-).

Thus I ended up getting a FNX-45T earlier this year and find like the HK Mark 23 that can shoot it better (see earlier comments on hand) than the smaller guns ... but the FNX-45T is just small enough that it could be carrier (if 15 rounds of 45ACP does not do the trick then have eight more mags ;-). But in the long run still thinking of a 9mm the size of a classic compact (i.e. G19, USP Compact or 1911 Commander) ... or smaller if I can work the slide and handle the controls (i.e. the Sphinx SDP sub compact looks interesting if Kriss ever does and/or can bring them in ....)

Last edited:

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    G17L, it is my favorite, what I shoot best with, and very fast on target with the ghost ring night sights.

I really don't care if someones see 2" of barrel poking out from under my shirt. Most don't

averycustom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Due to its slim profile a Gov't model 1911 is surprisingly easy to carry and conceal. I used Milt Sparks IWB holsters for years but recently went with some Raven Concealment gear which is really excellent... much faster reholstering with kydex.

Regards,

Mark

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Due to its slim profile a Gov't model 1911 is surprisingly easy to carry and conceal. I used Milt Sparks IWB holsters for years but recently went with some Raven Concealment gear which is really excellent... much faster reholstering with kydex.

Regards,

Mark

Almost wish they would make a Commander size gun with a Officer;s grip to keep from printing as easily.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Almost wish they would make a Commander size gun with a Officer;s grip to keep from printing as easily.

Wish who would make them?
    I currently carry Kimber's CDP Compact.
    That's the four inch ("Commander") barrel on the compact ("Officer's") frame...

Top Bottom