• Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Another free dog. Look at that face!

reagan.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._black_lab_free_to_good_home.html#post4133534

Mak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Seymour
    With out reading every post... what ever dog you decide on getting read Cesar's Way and watch the dog whisper. He doesn't teach you how to train your dog to do "tricks" but after following what he says your dog will do anything to make you happy. Within a few weeks of picking up my dog that was the typical terrible dog (peeing everywhere, jumping on people, chewing everything, taking food, barking, whining, not listening to anyone) she was transformed into the best dog I could have asked for. People never stop commenting on how good of a dog I have. Some say I am lucky and got a smart dog but it is consistent training and using every opportunity to let the dog make you happy.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I missed out on two great dogs, but hopefully Angus will be available when we go to pick him up.

I'm not sure if he's house trained, so I'll have to take some time off of work to help him adjust. Hopefully, it won't take longer than a week.

http://youtu.be/wbiWqNx0ahU

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, I missed out on two great dogs, but hopefully Angus will be available when we go to pick him up.

I'm not sure if he's house trained, so I'll have to take some time off of work to help him adjust. Hopefully, it won't take longer than a week.

Rule #1, if you get down on their level, expect to be "Get Got":laugh:

Looks like a calm pup, little reserved, but I figure that will go away after the pup can become acclimated to your surroundings.

It took out Sarah about 2 weeks to really settle down, and she was fine as frog hair after that.

Of course our situation was that she had come from a very abusive owner that had her chained to a four foot chain and was feeding her minimal scraps to the point where she was eating weeds, leaves, twigs and dirt.

It did take us almost 3 months for her to realize that she was going to have food and water every day, we ended putting a croquet ball in her food bowl, to keep her from eating her food in about 30 seconds. She would burp for about 30 minutes after eating.

Now she causally eats her food, but she still burps a little, I think she does it just to get a laugh out of us now.:D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I just checked and Angus is gone. This whole thing is getting depressing. On to number four.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Get a rescue dog who has had a bad life to turn it into a good life for what's remaining of there's , love my little pal to death .

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Well, I just checked and Angus is gone. This whole thing is getting depressing. On to number four.
    It could be worse. My sister just lost her rescue dog today. Her husband ran over their tie out with the mower and when he hooked her up she bolted. She's heartbroken.

Perhaps someone is holding out for you to get the perfect dog :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It could be worse. My sister just lost her rescue dog today. Her husband ran over their tie out with the mower and when he hooked her up she bolted. She's heartbroken.

Perhaps someone is holding out for you to get the perfect dog :)

Did it have the chip?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Good news, apparently Daisy came home last night at 1130p :) Now to teach my sister and her hubby proper dog handling :)

They rescued this suuuuuper skiddish dog that they knew was a flight risk. Now I gotta teach em to hang the leash by the door and to never open it until she is leashed. :)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Check out Canine Crossroads (on facebook). They have dogs in and out all the time. I believe it's 200 bucks to adopt, but they are spayed/neutered and chipped and have their shots. It's a pretty awesome local "shelter/rescue" and I've seen some "bigger" dogs on their page before :)

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Sorry to hear that you keep running into the issue of the dogs being gone when you go back :( I'm not sure if IHS is the same as HSHC in that they'll do an overnight hold on an animal for you to think about making the decision. Might be worth asking about.

Mac-1917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Check out Heaven After Hell on facebook. I ended up going with them after over a year of searching the shelters. I think they have around 10 dogs in foster care that meet your requirements. Also operates out of Plainfield.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I NEVER imagined this process would be so long and arduous. I finally found a beautiful blue pit and was going to get him. I took the entire family with me this time and my two girls (wife and daughter) who were totally against the thought of a dog, went straight for the toy dogs! There is no way on this earth I will every own anything that can be carried in a purse.

We went over to the beautiful blue pit and I knew he wasn't going to be mine as soon as we got to his cage. He was menacing, but I could tell he was kind; however, my wife wasn't going for anything with pit in the breed. She asked about insurance, activity, health, space, etc., and before you knew it, I was neutered along with the pup.

So, we looked around and my wife spotted a boxer-mix, which I didn't like. We took it outside for some play time and that thing wrapped me around her paw in 10 minutes. She is perfect for our family AND she was my wife's choice, which is a good thing. so, we went to fill out the paperwork and the adoption agent said we were too late for today and would have to come back tomorrow.

I'll be there at 1300 hours to put her on a 24-hour hold while I'm cleared by the Pets for Patriots organization. I really hope to bring her home on Tuesday, but we shall see. I won't allow myself to get my hopes up this time.

Here is Dora, but that name will certainly change:

Humane Society of Indianapolis - Dog Profile

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I NEVER imagined this process would be so long and arduous. I finally found a beautiful blue pit and was going to get him. I took the entire family with me this time and my two girls (wife and daughter) who were totally against the thought of a dog, went straight for the toy dogs! There is no way on this earth I will every own anything that can be carried in a purse.

We went over to the beautiful blue pit and I knew he wasn't going to be mine as soon as we got to his cage. He was menacing, but I could tell he was kind; however, my wife wasn't going for anything with pit in the breed. She asked about insurance, activity, health, space, etc., and before you knew it, I was neutered along with the pup.

So, we looked around and my wife spotted a boxer-mix, which I didn't like. We took it outside for some play time and that thing wrapped me around her paw in 10 minutes. She is perfect for our family AND she was my wife's choice, which is a good thing. so, we went to fill out the paperwork and the adoption agent said we were too late for today and would have to come back tomorrow.

I'll be there at 1300 hours to put her on a 24-hour hold while I'm cleared by the Pets for Patriots organization. I really hope to bring her home on Tuesday, but we shall see. I won't allow myself to get my hopes up this time.

Here is Dora, but that name will certainly change:

Humane Society of Indianapolis - Dog Profile

:thumbsup: She's adorable. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get her. Sounds like a great choice for your family....especially if your wife picked her out!

Top Bottom