• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy

Mr. Jones is ador-a-bull! :D :D :D There's no doubt in my mind that they make great dogs with the right owner. I'd definitely go see him a couple of times before making a decision, and remember that being cooped up in a shelter usually makes their activity level worse than it really is. My Sugar was cooped up for nearly a year before we took her home, and it took some time to get all of that pent up energy out of her. Now, she knows the difference between being active outside and when it's time to just chill inside.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Surprisingly, our golden retriever sheds less than our puggle, and she is very protective of our property lines.

I would suggest a lab mix, or a golden mix...as they are some of the best companion dogs you can get...and are also both able to be around shooting.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Give the Basenji a look; one of the oldest breeds known to man, and barkless (they do have some other unique vocalizations). Males grow to about 22-24 lbs, and they're so fearless that African tribesmen have used them for centuries to hunt lions. I have a cross-breed, but he's so fearless that he seems "touched" at times. They are very clean dogs, and have some cat-like grooming habits. You can see pics and learn more about them at Basenji Club of America

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think I'll head down to the Humane Society next month. I fell in love with a couple of those dogs just from their picture and description. Do you guys know if you can change a dog's name?

Changing a dogs name is no problem, heck my 14 year old answers to 4 other names other than Ellie (they are all good names:):).

I've even given our three old BC a couple of side names, Pirate girl being one of them.

Sarah on the left is my 3 yr old BC.
    Ellie is on the right and she's our 14 yr old BC, we also call her Ellie May Clampet, Cow, Sockie and Prize Woman.:D Sadly we know our time is short with Ellie, age is creaping up on her, along with a ACL repair on both rear legs and arthritis setting in both knees from it.

We hope to have another year, but we have been looking about getting another BC so when the time comes, Sarah will still have a playmate to help keep her mind off of Ellie not being around.

photobucket-5726-1314719030329.jpg:original

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yes, same here. Cane Corso or Presa Carnario (sp) all the way as my next dog. They just are not that easy to find, not many people spend money on one and it end up in the shelter. Reputable breeders make them sign contracts the dog has to go back to them, it can't go to the shelter anyway. I know About Time Cane Corso ( Cane Corso Security ) sells puppies, I think they were around a grand for the companion only, with sterilization agreement. I don't think they list how much their trained or breeding dogs sell for.

I'm glad I got a Blue Heeler and a Glock instead of spending a grand on a dog :D

I HATE small dogs. You can't do anything with them. Legs too short to keep up, have to watch where you step, and everything can beat them up. Blue Heelers are just the right size if you don't want a large dog. It is funny when I introduced mine to the horses, 10 pound puppy meet 1,000 pound horse. Puppy chases horse, muahahaha.

When I was at neighbors house, my puppy's mother was ordered to chase a cow back into the pen, and she went right after the cow and nipped its ankles. Cow kicked her, and sent her flying, and didn't even phase her. Was about to go right back after the cow, but was called off, and the pen shut.

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Only read the first couple pages but here is my take...

Don't know you, but you do, so be honest with yourself. Any dog left alone or in a crate for the majority of its life is a wasted pet, not fair to your family or the dog. If you don't have the time, or aren't willing to dedicate it to your dog, don't get one. Only you know if you can/will make that sacrifice.

That said, I got a Pitbull Terrier from the local shelter a few months ago and he is fantastic. 40-50lb range, no shedding or drooling at all, super friendly and fiercely protective of my family. He has no fear of anything and will certainly fight to the death to defend my lady, yet super gentle and kind to small kids. He eats like a horse and no noise or disturbance in or around the house goes unnoticed. Very cuddly and has to be near you 100% of the time.

Every dog is a puppy when you get him. Adult dogs may require more work than a puppy. There is no free lunch, your dog will only be as good or as behaved as the amount of time you spend with him. It is my opinion that if you can't devote the time to training a puppy, then you can't have a dog. An adult dog won't walk into your house and automatically know the rules and obey your commands.

Good luck in your search, hope you make the right choice.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Only read the first couple pages but here is my take...

Don't know you, but you do, so be honest with yourself. Any dog left alone or in a crate for the majority of its life is a wasted pet, not fair to your family or the dog. If you don't have the time, or aren't willing to dedicate it to your dog, don't get one. Only you know if you can/will make that sacrifice.

That said, I got a Pitbull Terrier from the local shelter a few months ago and he is fantastic. 40-50lb range, no shedding or drooling at all, super friendly and fiercely protective of my family. He has no fear of anything and will certainly fight to the death to defend my lady, yet super gentle and kind to small kids. He eats like a horse and no noise or disturbance in or around the house goes unnoticed. Very cuddly and has to be near you 100% of the time.

Every dog is a puppy when you get him. Adult dogs may require more work than a puppy. There is no free lunch, your dog will only be as good or as behaved as the amount of time you spend with him. It is my opinion that if you can't devote the time to training a puppy, then you can't have a dog. An adult dog won't walk into your house and automatically know the rules and obey your commands.

Good luck in your search, hope you make the right choice.

Thanks for some sound advice. I guess my priority in getting a dog is to complete what I consider to be the best three-part home defense system: person with a gun, a house with an alarm and a dog dog with TEETH.

I do not want to be an abusive owner by ignoring the emotional needs of the dog, but I am going into this with the main purpose of having a dog to guard my home. I want him to be a part of my family and will certainly make it a part of our family. I realize there will be adjustments, but I don't plan to take it to work or church with me.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    If your main purpose is to have a guard dog, count on a significant amount of time invested. The control nessecary for such a role does not come without significant work.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Well if you want a menacing dog for home security, or one with a lot of muscle and a good bite, then go with a catch dog.

A boxer is a catch dog, so good choice so far, but there are others. You should also consider the Presa Canario, Cane Corso and the Dogo Argentino which was already mentioned.

I don't know your living arrangements ( sorry if you mentioned it in your OP read it awhile back and don't remember now lol ). If you have enough space, don't rule out a livestock guardian dog either. I would lay my life in the hands of one of these breeds. But they would be better suited for fenced in outdoor security. I don't know how well they would do alone in the house for 8 hours while you are at work. But they are fine when you are inside with them, they are pretty lazy appearing.

Anatolian Shepherd
    Great Pyrenees
    Tibetan and Pyrenean Mastiffs

ETA: You would also need to devote an incredible amount of time to train a LGD.

Catch dogs are way easier, and you wont have as much of a hard time finding one.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I think we'll go visit this guy. We like the name, breed and his look.

I know that many people jump into getting a pet without really considering it. The last thing I would want to do is get a pet and then return it because I didn't weigh the cost. This is a tougher decision than having children, because this is more of a choice. I'll probably visit him and then take the family to check him out. I don't believe they allow anyone to take the dogs for a weekend or on a trial basis, so we'll certainly take our time.

Can someone fill me in on the impact a dog has on the family budget? I mean food, health care, occasional kennel service, etc?

Last edited:

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    It all really depends on where you go and what you do. Most vets now offer a free initial health check within so many days of adopting your pet. Initial cost minus the adoption fees for us was probably about $200. That was for food, bed, toys, collar, etc... One thing to be aware of is that these dogs, especially white and/or blue, are fairly prone to food allergies. If your budget can afford, you're better off going with a grain free food right off the bat to eliminate any potential grain issues and vet visits for hives and skin problems. I feed Nature's Domain Salmon formula from Costco. $32 for a 35lb bag that generally lasts about 2-2.5 months at 2 cups a day. Depending on how active you keep your pup, it would be beneficial to look into a more expensive/higher protein/calorie food, but for her, it seems to do her well. It is the same food as Taste of the Wild at half the cost.

Yearly shots, HW test, fecal exam @ VCA Zionsville is around $250, but there are low cost clinics around too. I know Indy Humane has one.

Monthly upkeep cost on her is maybe $15/month for a new toy, treats, food, and dose of HeartGard for heartworm protection and deworming. We don't seem to have fleas here, so I don't treat her for it any more. She's easy now that we figured out her skin allergies.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Well, I have always had a dog--grew up with them as a child--so coming from my family background, the dog, was more than an animal in our family, rather treated as another family member.
    So vet bills, food, bedding, accessories such as toys and treats were just part of the expense in having a dog.
    Vet costs vary as does the quality of care (like human doctors--some are better, etc.)
    If I may suggest, ask relatives, friends and neighbors who have pets that are well cared for, who they use as a vet. You could call and speak to a couple of vet clinics and compare costs. Do the same with boarding kennels - be careful to especially check kennels, as there are some very disreputable ones.

Dod food? Again depends on the size of dog. Obviously larger, more active breeds require more. You can get some ideas on this from others who have the type/size of dog you're considering. Google online to compare.
    Grocery store brand dog food is usually cheaper than premium brands. Does it make a difference? Again ask friends and relatives what brands they prefer. Personally, I would try to stay away from pet foods who list any ingedients(including treats) from or made in China. Top Rated Dog Food - Our Dog Food Reviews and Ranking Criteria

I have a small beagle and he would eat me out of house and home if I let him, but that's typical for the hound breeds. (Many dogs, will leave food in their bowl to chow on all day.) He's getting up in years so I have him on Science Diet Healthy Mobility which has added nutrients such as Omega fatty acids, which aid joints. It's not the most expensive food but not 'cheap' either.
    My dog has been healthy all the years I've had him. Other than yearly vaccines and an occasional trip to the vet, costs for proper care hasn't been terribly expensive IMHO.
    Another consideration would be obedience training. Do you intend to train your dog? Or find a good trainer to 'coach' you and your dog ?
    I've always trained my dogs but again it's something to think about.
    Reward based training always worked with my dogs. Crate training is a good addition for potty training a puppy or young dog. Keep in mind, puppies can't 'hold' their bladders as long as an adult dog. And the attention span of a dog is not comparable to a human. Patience and consistency on your part will help the dog to eventually 'get' it.

If you like animals, particularly dogs, they can be a great joy to be around. Once you earn a dog's loyalty it will love you and your family unconditionally. But as with any relationship, it does require time, effort and sometimes $.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh

I know that many people jump into getting a pet without really considering it. The last thing I would want to do is get a pet and then return it because I didn't weigh the cost. This is a tougher decision than having children, because this is more of a choice. I'll probably visit him and then take the family to check him out. I don't believe they allow anyone to take the dogs for a weekend or on a trial basis, so we'll certainly take our time.

Can someone fill me in on the impact a dog has on the family budget? I mean food, health care, occasional kennel service, etc?

He looks bright and extremely healthy. Beautiful!

My only advice is to seriously research raw natural diets. It is cheaper and will result in fewer vet visits and a longer healthy life for your dog than buying the junk that comes off the shelf.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Every bull terrier, pitbull, APBT, and American Staffordshire Terrier I've been around would have made for great guard dogs but for the fact that they never met a stranger. They met some people that they didn't like instantly but never a stranger. The majority of them could have been won over by a quick ear scratch. Now, ALL of them would have put a quick end to a physical attack on their owners and those they've socialized with quite a bit.

If I were getting a pup (or any dog) right now, I'd get pet insurance. We've got a soon to be 10 year old that blew an ACL while playing. She gets around pretty good and can still run a bit but there is no way we'd come out of pocket for a $1,000+ surgery that doesn't always work.

I'd say that this isn't too far off The Cost of Dog Ownership - Affording a Dog.

Top Bottom