• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Well, the search is over and Adora is home with us. She is boxer/pit mix and perfect for us: active, but with the ability to calm down and she doesn't demand attention, but requests it.

She is getting used to the house and follows me wherever I go right now. I NEVER thought that I would feel like this about an animal. I've read posts about people losing their pet and just didn't understand the pain, but now I can certainly sympathize with anyone going through such a loss.

IMG044_zps685b0ce5.jpg

47797689d933ca5db99c26b664c0bd2f_zps016ebd27.jpg

Hey - That's Buttons.

Where did you find her? The neighbor kid left our gate open last month and we haven't seen her since. Oh, my kids are going to be so happy to get her back.
    Say "Buttons" in a baby voice, then lick her nose. She loves that.

Thanks for finding her, Que.

I will PM with my number so we can talk.

:D

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks, everybody. They had her on Eagle Pack in the shelter, but she turned her nose up to it when we got her home and tried to feed her. She's probably still too excited to eat right now.

Not sure how much it may come into play with her but my Boxer is the piciest eating dog I have ever seen. He WILL NOT eat plain dry food unless he is very hungry. Otherwise I mix a can of food in with his kibble. You May try that see if it gets her to eat.

She may also associate that food with the shelter she was at. Might not be the best memories for her. Switch her food and see if that works.

This ^^ may also be true.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    She may also associate that food with the shelter she was at. Might not be the best memories for her. Switch her food and see if that works.

Not sure how much it may come into play with her but my Boxer is the piciest eating dog I have ever seen. He WILL NOT eat plain dry food unless he is very hungry. Otherwise I mix a can of food in with his kibble. You May try that see if it gets her to eat.

This ^^ may also be true.

I want to give her the best and I will search to find it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Glad to hear it went well!
    If you think you are hooked now.. Just wait until you have had a crappy day, you come home in a bad mood, open the door, and she comes running up to you all excited to see you.
    I canNOT stay in a bad mood when I walk in and my Sadie is wagging her tail so hard her whole butt is moving :)

Man's best friend, indeed

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The BEST food for her would be the B.A.R.F. diet. Google it. It takes a little prep time every month or so but it is cheaper and better for her. Length and quality of life is extended, vet visits and later life health complications are greatly reduced.

We feed Kosmo (English Shepherd) 3/4 lbs of raw chicken necks each evening mixed with 1/2 can of peas or green beans or carrots. Sweet potato diced up occasionally has the broadest assortment of vitamins and minerals of any vegetable and a raw egg twice a week stirred in (with the shell) tops it off.

His coat is exceptional with little shedding, his teeth will never need cleaning, his body odor and breath doesn't stink and his turds dry up and blow away after three days.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The BEST food for her would be the B.A.R.F. diet. Google it. It takes a little prep time every month or so but it is cheaper and better for her. Length and quality of life is extended, vet visits and later life health complications are greatly reduced.

We feed Kosmo (English Shepherd) 3/4 lbs of raw chicken necks each evening mixed with 1/2 can of peas or green beans or carrots. Sweet potato diced up occasionally has the broadest assortment of vitamins and minerals of any vegetable and a raw egg twice a week stirred in (with the shell) tops it off.

His coat is exceptional with little shedding, his teeth will never need cleaning, his body odor and breath doesn't stink and his turds dry up and blow away after three days.

Wow! I will have to look this up.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    She is getting used to the house and follows me wherever I go right now. I NEVER thought that I would feel like this about an animal. I've read posts about people losing their pet and just didn't understand the pain, but now I can certainly sympathize with anyone going through such a loss.

Welcome to the world of having a new family member, I say family member because that is what Adora is now.:D:yesway:

Now a couple of fitting images....

580847_10151419736698673_1286881884_n.jpg

13026_388088301289096_530782634_n.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Two things:

1. She still isn't eating. I mixed some bologna in her food and she only ate the bologna. Is there a way to get a couple of sample packs from the vet or something? Or will I just have to buy various bags to find out what she likes?

2. She will pee in our yard, but will only take a crap in my neighbor's. I never try to make her use it in a neighbor's yard, but when I take her out, I will keep her in our yard waiting on her to use it, but as soon as we leave, she will squat and crap. Is this common? One of my neighbors gave me the stink eye this morning, even though I cleaned it up immediately.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    People shove a lot of expensive foods for recommendations. Our puggle is uber sensitive to most everything, and the only thing we have gotten her to eat without getting a hotspot above her tail and rubbing it raw is the stuff from walmart called "kal'kan". I have no idea what's in it, but it's 20 bucks for a 40 pound bag; and her coat and our golden's coats are spectacular, and they're putting on weight. :)

ETA: we tried rice and chicken, rice and fish, and all sorts of variants as well as the "wild dog" diets, and nothing worked.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Que, I have several sample bags of Taste of the Wild, California Naturals, and Innova Prime here if you'd like to have them. I had more, but gave them to a friend who was short on cash and in need of dog food.

I can also give you a couple of scoops of Sugar's normal food if you'd like to try it, too.

She's probably just scared and adjusting. She'll eat once she gets hungry enough. The potty thing is something that you're going to have to reinforce as to where you want her to be going. It may take some time, but should stick once she figures out what you want out of her. It may even need to be something that you reward her for.

The BARF/raw diet can be very good, but it can also introduce potential health hazards both to your dog and your home since it deals with feeding raw meat.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you buy dry dog food, just because it says lamb or something else, doesn't mean that's not just flavoring. Look at the list of ingredients. The ingredients are listed in order of quantity. The first items listed are what makes up the product.

I've seen "lamb and rice" dog food, that had chicken as the main ingredient.
    I used "Nutro" for my dog.
    I don't know if it's the best, but it's what I used. Sold at Petco.

And congrats on your new family member.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I don't think you get to spec out a dog like that:D

My brother has this little dog that his ex-wife brought home for herself...a kind of chiuaua/deuchand (if you spell either one that way:) ) mix...hardly the breed of a dog a "real man" would have chosen. But that thing took to him and now they're inseparable. He takes it hunting, shooting, etc. That thing must be one big bladder because he'll go off and leave it inside all day (he works 10 hour days) and it never messes in the house. Other than looking sort of odd, he thinks it's a perfect dog.

Happy hunting, Que

Agreed! All except one dog, out of many in my life, all have been mutts on death row. They've all lived long lives at our retirement home for unwanted dogs, and I've cried like a baby when they passed.

Good Luck and many happy days!!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Agreed! All except one dog, out of many in my life, all have been mutts on death row. They've all lived long lives at our retirement home for unwanted dogs, and I've cried like a baby when they passed.

Good Luck and many happy days!!

God heard my prayer because I got just what we wanted as a family.

I did something really stupid tonight. She still would not eat from her dish, so I fed her out of my hand. That is the last time that will happen! JG sent me some quality advice and if she doesn't eat, then it's on her, but she will have two opportunities from now on and only two.

My mother would not let us eat anything else but the food she cooked and she would say, "If the monkey is hungry, then the monkey will eat." That goes for Adora from now on.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    God heard my prayer because I got just what we wanted as a family.

I did something really stupid tonight. She still would not eat from her dish, so I fed her out of my hand. That is the last time that will happen! JG sent me some quality advice and if she doesn't eat, then it's on her, but she will have two opportunities from now on and only two.

Teach her to catch. Toss the food in the air and let her catch it. My dog loves peperoni as a treat and he can catch one from across the kitchen.

That tip with feeding works. My brother somtimes dog sits for me and he somtimes refuses to eat when he comes home. After a few days when he gets hugry enough instinct takes over and he will eat. After that he eats normally again. Don't worry she will not starve herself willingly. She just needs to get used to her surroundings.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    No offense to those suggesting it, but be really careful with the "BARF" Diet. My wife fed her Rot chicken necks and it almost killed her. She had to have surgery to repair a perforated colon.

Natural food is fine, but chicken bones aren't. Dogs don't have the intestinal tract of a wolf..

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    G

My mother would not let us eat anything else but the food she cooked and she would say, "If the monkey is hungry, then the monkey will eat." That goes for Adora from now on.

Nervousness will rack a dogs intestinal track, Adora may not show it on the outside, but I can guarantee she's nervous. She is out of the "element" that she was accustomed to.

I guess from the way you typed it, that she make have nipped your fingers?:D

Open hand and in the palm.

Our youngest BC get's a upset a stomach every now and then and throws up stomach acid first thing in the morning. She won't eat, and we will not put food in the crate when we are gone.

So the two things we do is...

Give her a Milk Bone to calm her stomach
    If she eats the Milk Bone, with in a minute or two she'll be eating.

If she does not eat the Milk Bone, we put a few bits of her food in our palm, 99.9% of the time she eat it, then we'll give her two more and then she will start eating her food in the bowl.

I will never leave my house and have my pup not eat, I will stay home.
    She was a rescue pup, and the first owners left her chained to a fence on a 4 foot chain and feed her scrap food with no water. In order to try and supplement her diet, she ate twigs, leaves, dirt and bugs.

Top Bottom