• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've already got 50+ books on my list to read, but I'm tearing through them fast enough that I'm always looking for more. I appreciate the suggestions.
    I had them in hardback book form. I can't imagine using a phone, ipad or Kindle, etc.. There's just something about the feel of a book in your hands, and turning the pages with your fingers.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I had them in hardback book form. I can't imagine using a phone, ipad or Kindle, etc.. There's just something about the feel of a book in your hands, and turning the pages with your fingers.
    I used to think that too, but the app has 1000s of books available, and it keeps track of your % complete as you read. Almost makes it like a game for me.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I’ve always hated reading.. Mostly how I was brought up and an evil librarian in my elementary years. I did go very hard on audible when I was working with a TON of “end of the world” type series.

But close to 3 years ago now my brother challenged me to do “75 hard” basically a mental and physical health challenge.
    One of the daily requirements is 10 pages of reading a day (non-fiction) started with some self help / financial / motivational books. But now I am reading a lot of history (another subject I wish I paid attention to in school) currently “the British are coming” - Atkinson

All that to say I am a reading advocate now. And I love audible and it certainly has its place and uses. But I don’t believe it is a replacement for actually reading. Ebook or paper pages…. I think that’s just a personal preference I think the pages are better for your soul lol helps you unplug. But I see the benefits to ebooks.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Been reading some War of 1812 books. Lots of history in our own backyard. Enjoy the historical fiction novels that weave some entertaining characters in with real historical events.

F54AB360-8172-4A46-9E2C-5B8F25F30600.jpeg

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    1776, focused on the history from the appointment of George Washington as commander of the continental army through to 1777.

Also reading the Plantegenets, on the ruling monarchs of the Norman and English kings.

ETA: 1776 by David McCullough

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Fighting for the Confederacy: The personal recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander.

This is a fascinating look at the high command of the Army of Northern Virginia by someone that was there. The thing that makes it so good is that he wrote it for his children, with no intention that it would ever be published. Consequently, he was entirely candid in his observations and assessments, and devoid of the ongoing political battles of the day. It was not until the 1980's that it was discovered mixed in among other items donated by the family to a college library.

Amazon product ASIN 0807847224

Top Bottom