• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I am reading "Rules of Civility". It is a novel and so far it appears to be about a 20 something typing pool girl in 1920's nyc who goes to nightclubs.

It is well written for sure, but it not catching my interest. Reminds me alot of "The Great Gatsby", felt the same way about that book.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Fighting for the Confederacy: The personal recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander.

This is a fascinating look at the high command of the Army of Northern Virginia by someone that was there. The thing that makes it so good is that he wrote it for his children, with no intention that it would ever be published. Consequently, he was entirely candid in his observations and assessments, and devoid of the ongoing political battles of the day. It was not until the 1980's that it was discovered mixed in among other items donated by the family to a college library.

Amazon product ASIN 0807847224
    I bet that is neat as heck. Heading to check that out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    MISTBORN Trilogy

Mistborn is really good, one of the few fantasy series that managed to surprise me. The alloy of law series is the same setting but centuries later and is good, but not as good IMO.

If you like it, check out Night Angel trilogy as well. Grittier, but similar.

Currently reading Steinbeck's East of Eden.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Fighting for the Confederacy: The personal recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander.

This is a fascinating look at the high command of the Army of Northern Virginia by someone that was there. The thing that makes it so good is that he wrote it for his children, with no intention that it would ever be published. Consequently, he was entirely candid in his observations and assessments, and devoid of the ongoing political battles of the day. It was not until the 1980's that it was discovered mixed in among other items donated by the family to a college library.

Amazon product ASIN 0807847224
    This is on my list. I’ve read some excerpts and it was very good. I’m currently reading the Lee bio by Guelzo. It does a great job of bringing in the whole history of the era. The battle over slavery had been brewing since about 1820 and the context helps with understanding the overall story of the war.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Jack Carr…

The Terminal List (also a Netflix TV series featuring Chris Pratt)
    True Believer
    Savage Son
    The Devil's Hand
    In the Blood
    Only the Dead

All really good books with great action and character development. 20+ years in the Teams, and the details in his books reflect that experience.

I've heard him on Joe Rogan's and Mike Glover's (Fieldcraft Survival) podcast and he seems like a good dude who loves his country.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The Terminal List (also a Netflix TV series featuring Chris Pratt)
    True Believer
    Savage Son
    The Devil's Hand
    In the Blood
    Only the Dead

All really good books with great action and character development. 20+ years in the Teams, and the details in his books reflect that experience.

I've heard him on Joe Rogan's and Mike Glover's (Fieldcraft Survival) podcast and he seems like a good dude who loves his country.
    I burned through those a little while back. Pretty solid.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I just finished the Wheel of Time series and am now blowing through Storm Watch way too quickly. I need to find another good, long series to read.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just finished the Wheel of Time series and am now blowing through Storm Watch way too quickly. I need to find another good, long series to read.

Discworld is long, but how good it is is somewhat debatable. It's something of a self parody fantasy series, if you're unfamiliar. I've not read many of them, but they aren't bad. Just not great.

Aldoran Chronicles is reasonably good and if you have Kindle Unlimited they are in the free to read category. It's not as good as WoT, Misborn, or Night Angel, but it's good.

Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series is pretty solid. It's a pretty original spin on fantasy novels, set in Napoleonic-esque war time.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Discworld is long, but how good it is is somewhat debatable. It's something of a self parody fantasy series, if you're unfamiliar. I've not read many of them, but they aren't bad. Just not great.

Aldoran Chronicles is reasonably good and if you have Kindle Unlimited they are in the free to read category. It's not as good as WoT, Misborn, or Night Angel, but it's good.

Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series is pretty solid. It's a pretty original spin on fantasy novels, set in Napoleonic-esque war time.
    I've started Discworld before and really couldn't get into it. I might have to give it another go and check out the other suggestions. Thanks!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've started Discworld before and really couldn't get into it. I might have to give it another go and check out the other suggestions. Thanks!

I've heard Discworld picks up a lot around book 4, but I've not made it that far and, like you, didn't really get in to it.

But it is long...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've heard Discworld picks up a lot around book 4, but I've not made it that far and, like you, didn't really get in to it.

But it is long...
    I've slogged through a slow book or two for a series that looked worth it but 4 is a bit much! I have some one offs to keep me busy for a little while as I search for another long and good series to get into.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Scattershot of recent library and purchase history:

Dead Silence by SA Barnes - If Event Horizon was a novel. Down the middle sci-fi horror about a haunted space liner. Pretty good.

The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling - Another sci-fi horror, a professional cave explorer is sent down a very deep hole by an employer who isn't all she seems. Not bad.

Heat 2 by Michael Mann - Did you like the movie? Do you want to read a book that's basically like the movie? Cool, it's for you.

Armored by Mark Greaney - A one legged ex-operator turned mall cop signs up for a suicide run through Mexico's Sierra Madre mountains. Sicario vibes, great fun. This one and Red Metal are my Mark Greaney picks, the Gray Man just doesn't land for me.

14 by Peter Clines - Really liked this one. A down on his luck guy gets a deal on an apartment too good to be true, and discovers strange mechanisms and Lovecraftian horror hidden in the walls.

Hard Magic by Larry Correia - It's a bit of a noir and urban fantasy genre soup, but makes up for it with fun characters and ideas. An easy layup for MHI fans.

The Abominable by Dan Simmons - A young American climber in the 1930s is recruited into a recovery mission on Mount Everest which turns into a life or death fight to save himself an his friends. Loved loved LOVED this one. Neck and neck with Flashback for my favorite Dan Simmons novel.

Top Bottom