What age did you first take your son/daughter hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • what age did u allow your child to first carry during hunting?

• Total voters

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Wanting to hear about the first time that you took your child hunting and what happened? Did they get anything? How did they act? how many times hunting until they got something? whatever you are willing to share. Got this idea from any thread that said sons first deer.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Both my boys were 13 and 11. We took the Hunter Education Course together prior to heading out. My youngest son, who is an excellent marksman, said he could not shoot a deer. My oldest grabbed his Remington 870 and was ready to go. Was very proud of him. He did everything correctly. Unfortunately we did not see any deer. I am sure that if we did, he would have bagged everything in his sights. :) This was three seasons ago. Lost the area where I used to hunt and have not been able to find another area as of yet.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I don't have kids yet but my father took me hunting and fishing almost every weekend. He started teaching me how to shoot when I was 3 to 4. The first time he took me hunting we hiked a few miles into the woods. We got into our deer stand and within 10 minutes I told him I was bored and cold. So we left and headed back home. I cannot wait to have kids and to be able to teach my son or daughter how to shoot from a very early age.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I don't have kids yet but my father took me hunting and fishing almost every weekend. He started teaching me how to shoot when I was 3 to 4. The first time he took me hunting we hiked a few miles into the woods. We got into our deer stand and within 10 minutes I told him I was bored and cold. So we left and headed back home. I cannot wait to have kids and to be able to teach my son or daughter how to shoot from a very early age.
    hated in the first time u went, but love it now. classic!!!

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I think my son was in the 5th grade when we started going hunting together. I think it was a good experience for both of us. We had 2 does run right past our ground blind that cold snowy day. I look back at those times & remember good times I had.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i started going hunting with my father before i could walk, he would tote me in a backpack.

i started carrying a toy gun @ 3 that way i could learn proper gun handleing.

i started carrying a bb gun at 4 or 5

i started carrying my own gun at 7 with my father right beside me.

i was allowed to get out of my fathers arm reach @ 9

i was allowed out of his sight at 10.

my father killed a deer every year until i was 2, he had a 4 year dry spell for some reason:dunno:

my girlfriend would not let me take my daughter with me this year. she was 5 months old at the beginning of deer season.:D

next year she will be in stand with me when its nice. i doubt ill be very sucessful when she is with me for a few years but sucess is measured in diffrent ways

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    i started going hunting with my father before i could walk, he would tote me in a backpack.

i started carrying a toy gun @ 3 that way i could learn proper gun handleing.

i started carrying a bb gun at 4 or 5

i started carrying my own gun at 7 with my father right beside me.

i was allowed to get out of my fathers arm reach @ 9

i was allowed out of his sight at 10.

my father killed a deer every year until i was 2, he had a 4 year dry spell for some reason:dunno:

my girlfriend would not let me take my daughter with me this year. she was 5 months old at the beginning of deer season.:D

next year she will be in stand with me when its nice. i doubt ill be very sucessful when she is with me for a few years but sucess is measured in diffrent ways
    mine would be that way too if i lived more in the country and wouldnt have to listen to bs from neighbors of why my child has a bb gun. I dont ask why thier child is not as bright than mine. LOL:ar15:

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I think my son was in the 5th grade when we started going hunting together. I think it was a good experience for both of us. We had 2 does run right past our ground blind that cold snowy day. I look back at those times & remember good times I had.

it will be ever better if he has kids and they tell you all about their first time.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    My oldest boy was 5 when I took him squirrel hunting for the first time. 2 squirrels later, he was hooked for life. He has always used a 10/22. There were no issues on the first hunt, I spent a majority of the time going over safety as we walked around.

Rabbit season is coming up. Have you thought about starting your kid on small game before moving to deer which are a bit more finicky to hunt? Rabbits and squirrels are like fish in a barrel when hunting with kids.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My oldest boy was 5 when I took him squirrel hunting for the first time. 2 squirrels later, he was hooked for life. He has always used a 10/22. There were no issues on the first hunt, I spent a majority of the time going over safety as we walked around.

Rabbit season is coming up. Have you thought about starting your kid on small game before moving to deer which are a bit more finicky to hunt? Rabbits and squirrels are like fish in a barrel when hunting with kids.
    not quite mature enough for actual hunt in my opinion. bout to get to fire 22 to first time. so needs more practice.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    not quite mature enough for actual hunt in my opinion. bout to get to fire 22 to first time. so needs more practice.

so if a 5yr old goes hunting with there dad, dad carries the gun, the kid sits in the dads lap, they see a squirel, and the kid shoots it from the dads lap thats inmature to you?

sounds to me like a great memory

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Since each was four. My duck blind on my boat folds up like a fort. I wired the boat for heat and Tv. I would bring a long lots of snacks and hot chocolate. They loved it. Playing in the fort. What the heck. The ducks didn't care. One of my fondest memories is when my then 6 year old daughter all decked out in her camo gear and her duck call crawled up on to my lap and with her head next to mine peeping out the small hole began calling with me and looking for ducks. A great moment.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have no children, but I feel 5-6 years of age is appropriate, I guess because that is when my father started taking me. Gun safety class at 6 with BB guns. Had my own BB gun then and started going out with my father. At 7-8 he bought me a Savage 410 single shot. At 10 he started letting me go out by myself in the woods outside my grandparents home. At 13 he handed down to me his Ithaca 37 12 Ga Featherlight.

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    I dont have kids but i remember my first time hunting. my stepdad took took me squirrel hunting when i was about 8. i remember my first shot at one. u would have thought i had buck fever lol. i missed it but i also was new to shooting. but i still kept trying. and soon after i got one. i was the happiest person ever. then i got into deer hunting. i even missed trick or treating to take my hunters ed course. it was worth it. that next season when i got comfortable to sit in a tree stand by myself, i got my first deer. that memory will always be there.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I took mine along groundhog hunting when they were still wearin "Huggies".

None has ever shot anything with a gun, all these years later.

Each nuked a carp with their bow though.

Oldest and youngest say they now want to start hunting (20 and 13).

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    so if a 5yr old goes hunting with there dad, dad carries the gun, the kid sits in the dads lap, they see a squirel, and the kid shoots it from the dads lap thats inmature to you?

sounds to me like a great memory

I have no problem with that. sounds fine. I want mine to follow me out in the woods carring his own rifle and bag his own on his own for my memory

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No kids personally, but I went hunting for the first time with my dad at age 5. Goose hunt in the field behind the house. I had my little toy pop gun and my dad has his 1100. I shot one that day, he missed :)

Took my air rifle dove and uck hunting at about the ages of 8 or 9 I'd say. Actually hit one every once in awhile. Went squirrel hunting with it around the same age.

Went deer hunting when I was 10 and 11, but just sat with him and watched deer, then sat by myself for awhile to watch them. Got to carry a gun for the first time by myself at age 12.

Top Bottom