What advice do you give to a kid going off to college?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    You guys must suck at recruiting. :):

I only see the ones we hire, so I don't know how many don't get a job.

The problem we have is that most of our engineers don't want to move into any managerial roles.
    LOL. Our department is an in-house integrator for the plant/Corp. We've been lucky to get a couple of good ones, as well as finding some really good machinists who don't have any grey hair yet. I'm not sure what interview questions the rest of the departments are asking, but you're right, they could use some work... lol

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can I ask why he chose welding school over a apprentiship?
    Not excluding the possibility of an apprenticeship after welding school (not too unusual, it's competitive up here and being certified shows commitment), but he has his eye on a specific company and that is not an option there.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    For the love of god, go to school for something where you can likely attain a job where the first year salary is roughly equal to your total amount of college debt. Do not under any circumstance go to college for a degree where you will be able to get a job that the first year salary is worth only 1/4 of what it cost to get the degree.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not excluding the possibility of an apprenticeship after welding school (not too unusual, it's competitive up here and being certified shows commitment), but he has his eye on a specific company and that is not an option there.
    Yea I fully understand. A huge amount of skilled tradesman didnt start there apprenticeship until their late 20's or early thirtys.
    I worked with quite a few men and a few women that either just got out of the service or went to one of the elect micro processor schools before entering a Elevator Local.
    With the years that I welded for a living on land, carbon and stainless pressure and sanitary tig were the money.

If thats the case with pipe welding maybe dad will set him up with a King Ranch F350, with a diesel Miller or Lincoln welder and needed equiment.
    Oh and a 5th wheel to live in while working on the road.

Good luck to your son.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If thats the case with pipe welding maybe dad will set him up with a King Ranch F350, with a diesel Miller or Lincoln welder and needed equiment.
    Oh and a 5th wheel to live in while working on the road.

Good luck to your son.
    No. He will not....but he's free to set himself up when he's ready. That's more expensive than the college education of any 2 of the others.

Thanks.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Treat college as your profession, or at least the first step on that path, not an extension of high school.

Don't expect handholding but don't be afraid to get help if/when you need.

Don't go to a private college.

Question everything, don't just blindly accept what you're told.

Be wary of those that insist on teaching you what to think, instead of how to think.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    SMH.

I have some contempt for those family members that insist that (not their own) children follow exactly in their footsteps.
    my dad was the exact opposite, he was a welder by trade, (an uneducated "farm hand" that could barely read and write) he taught me how to weld at a young age, but didnt want me to be a welder. he gently steering me to a different blue collar trade as a machinist.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Liberal elites? How about how many middle class conservatives???
    I have no first hand experience with them so I can not comment. However I do have to interact with a liberal elite so I stand by my comment. perhaps there are middle class conservatives out there that would lie and misrepresent the facts so as to effect the outcome? Again I have no experience with one so I can not comment

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    my dad was the exact opposite, he was a welder by trade, (an uneducated "farm hand" that could barely read and write) he taught me how to weld at a young age, but didnt want me to be a welder. he gently steering me to a different blue collar trade as a machinist.
    I would have been fine if any of my kids wanted to be a lawyer, but none of them did (or do). I don't take offense, but I wonder if I somehow made this profession look unpleasant....which it is not, for the most part.

My Dad's career advice was simply to obtain personal skills. He said you can always lose a job, but if you know how to do something useful, you will always be able to find work. I can't tell you how many people I have encountered who had "good jobs", but when the plant was shut down or they were RIF'd, they didn't really know how to do anything tranferable.

My Dad's skill was electronics, later both software and hardware- becoming an engineer the old fashioned way, working at the elbow of an engineer- technical school, but no college degree. He was right. My Dad designed guidance systems and upgrades for the Talos missile at Bendix, but when Carter cancelled that project, he took his skills and went to work designing medical devices and lab equipment at Miles Laboratories. His own personal skills, 2 vastly different industries.

jjohnson878

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    its better be quite and let people think youre a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
    listen more than you speak
    there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, be teachable
    dont rely on your degree to get a job, always have a backup
    pick something youre good at and market it

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    My Dad was a Machinist for 30 yrs-went thru Apprenticeship after leaving the Army (Korean era).
    He did Not want me to follow that path, but rather wanted me to go to College.
    I earned my Degree from IU (Bach Sci) & it helped me get a couple of Jobs, but was Not related to the Field from which I Retired. Life takes many Turns!
    Totally agree with those saying "pursue a Degree in an area that will result in Employment."

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    About eight years out from my last college experience as of now, some observations:

-STEM or nothing. Humanities and etc degrees don't teach any hard, marketable skills to justify today's enormously inflated costs. When you ask about this, the answer you get is "you learn those in grad school". Humanities undergrads exist solely to upsell you.

-You have abundant free time and the metabolism of a 20 year old. Use all those facilities you're paying for, crush it at the gym and build your fitness and lifelong good habits. Don't be a slob alone in a dorm room.

-You'll see a lot of stupid people do very stupid things. Those are valuable lessons. Don't be afraid to go out and watch some ships sink, just make sure you're not handcuffed to the rail.

-PROFESSORS GIVE YOU POINTS FOR SHOWING UP AND TALKING. Go to class. Attend class. Ask questions. You are paying through the nose for this, so at least show up and be there for it.

Here's the real controversial one: Date with purpose, because it doesn't get any easier with age and this will be the best opportunity of your entire life to set yourself up with someone who matches you and has the potential to be a Serious Person. Everyone will be screaming at you to stay casual but, I assure you, you do NOT want to be bottom feeding on leftovers in your 30s. Happiness is married senior year and kids by 26.

I cannot upvote more than once, COVID delayed us but house and kids by 29. Literally all of this is true, degree in Chemistry, currently a supervisor in the highest compensated mill in the region and life is good.

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    Knock a chick up, kiss your college career goodbye. Daddy will need a job.
    The less you say the more intelligent you sound.
    Have fun but stay out of trouble.
    Your mom doesn't need to know everything you do.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    DON’T GO! Save your money and go to a trade school instead.
    Not to say trades aren't extremely valuable, but the phrase, "work smarter, not harder", is popular for a reason.

The economy runs on diversity. we can't all be doctors, nor can we all be plumbers.

Top Bottom