What advice do you give to a kid going off to college?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    The days are long but the years are short.

What advice did you give your kid before sending them off to college?

What do you wish you had told them knowing what you know now?

Thanks!

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Watch out for the woke crowd and ideology. It leads nowhere good and might as well solidify those values now. The herd is becoming dumber. Surround yourself with friends of strong character and solid values to avoid the herd. College is a great place to learn independence heading into a career and future family.

Find a degree in something they think they would enjoy, which also has good job security and pay. Consider a field that could have a pension with a company. A 30 to 35 yr career will pay well being able to retire in ones mid 50s without debt. Speaking of debt, don't get trapped by any student loan enticements if at all possible. Junior colleges are a great lower cost option and they can have 2 yr programs set up to transfer into a 4 yr college.

If inclined, strongly consider technical trades which have been disappearing for quite some time. This could also allow one to work for themselves, which will likely be even more important in the future.

You'll get a lot of good advice from various people and careers on this board as I'd guess the median age is 45 to 50. Reread the posts moving forward. Good luck!

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    When my youngest daughter was away I left her with a box of index cards. Each card had an inspirational quote, a reminder of challenges she overcame in the past, a positive attribute about her, a reminder that she is loved, etc.

Years later she still has that box in her living room. She told me she would pull a card from time to time when she was first away at school...and still does from time to time.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    My daughter is about to head off as well. I've spent a lot of time instilling my life values in her head. The advice I'm about to give her is that I trust her, but I know she will make some mistakes and wrong decisions from this point forward. No matter how wrong or bad they are. Try to learn from them. And I will always be a phone call away.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    About eight years out from my last college experience as of now, some observations:

-STEM or nothing. Humanities and etc degrees don't teach any hard, marketable skills to justify today's enormously inflated costs. When you ask about this, the answer you get is "you learn those in grad school". Humanities undergrads exist solely to upsell you.

-You have abundant free time and the metabolism of a 20 year old. Use all those facilities you're paying for, crush it at the gym and build your fitness and lifelong good habits. Don't be a slob alone in a dorm room.

-You'll see a lot of stupid people do very stupid things. Those are valuable lessons. Don't be afraid to go out and watch some ships sink, just make sure you're not handcuffed to the rail.

-PROFESSORS GIVE YOU POINTS FOR SHOWING UP AND TALKING. Go to class. Attend class. Ask questions. You are paying through the nose for this, so at least show up and be there for it.

Here's the real controversial one: Date with purpose, because it doesn't get any easier with age and this will be the best opportunity of your entire life to set yourself up with someone who matches you and has the potential to be a Serious Person. Everyone will be screaming at you to stay casual but, I assure you, you do NOT want to be bottom feeding on leftovers in your 30s. Happiness is married senior year and kids by 26.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Here's the real controversial one: Date with purpose, because it doesn't get any easier with age and this will be the best opportunity of your entire life to set yourself up with someone who matches you and has the potential to be a Serious Person. Everyone will be screaming at you to stay casual but, I assure you, you do NOT want to be bottom feeding on leftovers in your 30s. Happiness is married senior year and kids by 26.
    "Find a girl, settle down
    If you want you can marry
    Look at me, I am old
    But I'm happy

I was once like you are now
    And I know that it's not easy
    To be calm when you've found
    Something going on

But take your time, think a lot
    Think of everything you've got
    For you will still be here tomorrow
    But your dreams may not"

-- Cat Stevens

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    About eight years out from my last college experience as of now, some observations:

-STEM or nothing. Humanities and etc degrees don't teach any hard, marketable skills to justify today's enormously inflated costs. When you ask about this, the answer you get is "you learn those in grad school". Humanities undergrads exist solely to upsell you.

-You have abundant free time and the metabolism of a 20 year old. Use all those facilities you're paying for, crush it at the gym and build your fitness and lifelong good habits. Don't be a slob alone in a dorm room.

-You'll see a lot of stupid people do very stupid things. Those are valuable lessons. Don't be afraid to go out and watch some ships sink, just make sure you're not handcuffed to the rail.

-PROFESSORS GIVE YOU POINTS FOR SHOWING UP AND TALKING. Go to class. Attend class. Ask questions. You are paying through the nose for this, so at least show up and be there for it.

I don't think I'm entirely down on liberal arts...so long as you have a plan in addition to that liberal arts degree.

No doubt that STEM makes the most sense for most students based upon the demands of the economy no doubt.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana

The whole "dating with a purpose" thing. Totally agree. I think "courting" is the ideal way to do that. Definitely not participating in "hook up" culture.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The whole "dating with a purpose" thing. Totally agree. I think "courting" is the ideal way to do that. Definitely not participating in "hook up" culture.
    Which unfortunately as a young man now is about as easy as finding a needle in a haystack.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I know college isn't for everyone, but for some career fields it is still necessary.
    Understood, but for many Liberal Elites Universities are the only way. Prime Example our son elected to follow in my footsteps . He is now a Paris Island Alumni. My Wife’s Mother started a college Fund for him in which she revoked because if he decides not to re up he is going to attend a Nationally recognized and accredited Trade School. He has no desire and for him to attend a University is not something he is going to do. But according to my MIL by marriage only he will surely burn in **** and be destined to be a failure in life unless he attends the U of M yes she is an Ann Arbor elitist.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom