• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Well, the bright side is that the next time you'll check before you leave, and probably about every 30 minutes for the rest of the day. :)

I've carried for 20 years now. I've been serious about it for over 10 years by carrying everywhere I legally can, as much as I can. I've finally busted (for the most part) of touching my gun to make sure it's there in the last year. Go figure.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I leave my gun in the holster when it's off so when I put the holster on I can't forget the gun. But, I've cleaned my pistol, and or left the range with it unloaded, no mag and all. So i can totally relate there. I'd have had to draw, get a click, and have to load it! Not a good feeling when you realized what you've done, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing BT, that's a good one!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Thats nothing compared to hearing “Sergeant I can’t find my HAND GRENADES” true story!

I left my pistol in the shower in Afghanistan while walking out of the shower trailer it dawned on me! I almost passed out, it was still hanging on the peg nobody else in the shower it was alone for like 30 seconds still scared the heck outta me.

My personal rule is a weapon that’s being used as a carry is not unloaded or unholstered unless at the range or for maintenance.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I leave my gun in the holster when it's off so when I put the holster on I can't forget the gun. But, I've cleaned my pistol, and or left the range with it unloaded, no mag and all. So i can totally relate there. I'd have had to draw, get a click, and have to load it! Not a good feeling when you realized what you've done, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing BT, that's a good one!

When I use my EDC at the range I remove the mag with my carry ammo and leave it sit on the bench. That way when I am done I know to put it back in.

Seems to work for me, although I have taken a second carry piece and forgot to unload the carry ammo. Makes for expensive range time.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    At what point did you decide you had left it at home versus losing it somewhere during your travels? Did you scour your car seats, work area? Try to walk around looking inconspicuous while screaming on the inside hoping to spot it before someone hollered, GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? Just wondering.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    At what point did you decide you had left it at home versus losing it somewhere during your travels? Did you scour your car seats, work area? Try to walk around looking inconspicuous while screaming on the inside hoping to spot it before someone hollered, GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? Just wondering.

As soon as I realized my holster was empty, I did wonder what I had done with it. Was it in the lock box in the van from picking up the kids at school? Nope. No school today. Then I just thought about it and realized I had never put it in my holster when I put it on. A quick check in the handgun safe and there it was.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    That sucks, but I'm glad that you weren't put in a position where you needed to rely on it. I try to do a self pat down each time before I leave the house, making sure to confirm my usual gear is with me. I haven't forgotten anything crucial yet, but it's a numbers game. Eventually I will forget something, and hopefully it isn't the day I need it.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Yep.

Was filling my truck up at a gas station on a windy day, the breeze blew my cover shirt up and behind my back, exposing my pistol and OWB holster. That doesn't particularly concern me, but I pulled my shirt back in place and then noticed I had a nice leather holster on my belt, and a very empty holster. Yep, left it on the nightstand.

Ouch......

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Ha, I did it last week. Got in a hurry in the morning. Got distracted and all that. Got half way to the jobsite and realized I had an empty holster. Got to the job and brought the back up from the GHB.

This jobsite is a little different as it is my soon to be new house. I have a couple pistols, a shotty and an AR all stashed in there with all the fixins.

Had to go to court a couple weeks back. Obviously I had to disarm. Got back to the truck and started putting the holster, spare mag and knife back on while standing. Usually I wait until I get to a different destination, but I just didn't feel the need this time.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    . You can forget all kinds of essential EDC gear when your morning routine is interrupted or you're distracted while completing your morning rituals!

This. Catholic mass,. Masonic degrees, it's all about the rituals. The older I get the more I realize the preparation ritual is the only reason I arrive anywhere with my pants on and both shoes on the correctt feet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This. Catholic mass,. Masonic degrees, it's all about the rituals. The older I get the more I realize the preparation ritual is the only reason I arrive anywhere with my pants on and both shoes on the correctt feet.

Yep. I've resorted to drastic measures if I have lunch I need to take to work. Behind the hook where I hang my car keys I have a note that reads "Lunch?". If I have something in the fridge to take, I put my car keys on top of lunch in the fridge. The note is to remind me to look for my keys on my lunch bag since they arent on the hook. Otherwise I get somewhere around halfway to work and realize I didnt take my lunch. (or look for my keys for 15 minutes before I realize they are with my lunch)

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish

I even walk the same pattern around the kitchen getting things ready to leave for work in the morning.

A few weeks back the wife was up when I was getting ready. She decided to make a cup of coffee so instead of going around the kitchen island this way I had to go around that way, no big deal, until I got to work. I go to get out of my car and my edc backpack isn't there. Why not? Because I grab it on my way out the door when I go this way around the island not that way.

Full holster at the house is just as bad as an empty holster.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I even walk the same pattern around the kitchen getting things ready to leave for work in the morning...

This X1000.

Then I stop at the back door every morning before leaving for work and touch each pocket, wallet, phone, light, knife, and then check my holster for the presence of my gun.

My wife witnessed my ritual and said I looked like I was doing the Macarena.:laugh:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Every morning pat down, gun, wallet, phone, keys, lunch. It's hell getting old...

Getting old.....yeah that's a factor but I do think my biggest issue is trying to get out of the house in time with kids. I just hardly ever seems to work out.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    During a range trip I decided to shoot my SD Ammo in my EDC firearm. It was time to rotate it out so I thought I’d just shoot it during practice then replace it at home. A couple days later I had an “Ah crap” moment when my mind went back to the range trip. I had put on an empty firearm for protection for two or three days.

I refilled my EDC with SD Ammo and started a new habit of checking every time to visually look for a round in the chamber before putting it on. My firearm like others stays in the holster when removed so if the holster is on there’s a firearm in it.

When going back and reading through all the post I started thinking forgetting a firearm is probably safer than pulling an empty firearm in a self defense situation (other than using it as a club or rock). My logic behind that is if I pull my empty EDC the perp out of reaction is going to start shooting. If I don’t have a firearm to pull at least I’m not escalating a shot that might not have happened.

The good news is that fate was on our side during the inevitable situations that happened so that we could post it on INGO. :):

Top Bottom