Weapon type for dedicated home protection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    With the proper mindset a Louisville slugger works well,without forethought and determination all the weapons and training listed above are not enough. KEEP IT SIMPLE! My wife is about 100 lbs,sweet to everyone,but with a Model 36 Smith she will keep the kids safe.Simple alarms on door and windows are key.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Great info! I am very thankful to have a community that is willing to voice their opinions on what they would choose with the parameters I have at home.

I didn’t start this thread to pit one against the other or ruffle feathers. Merely to get opinions from individuals more educated and experienced than myself. With than being said, I respect everyone’s opinion and believe that there are probably no wrong answer as long as you educate, train, and practice. Safety is very important in my living conditions and believe this is first and foremost!

I love the biometrics vault idea posted in this thread which has the ability to store multiple users prints (me and my wife) for quick access to a loaded handgun. It can be tethered to something making it more difficult to move and very hard to gain access to for little ones. This will allow me to get a weapon my wife and I are both comfortable with and keep it locked in the house but ready at all times. I will use this weapon as a means of providing safe movement from point A to designated safe point B. At designated safe point B, I could keep an unloaded weapon (shotgun? AR?..endless possibilites) that could be loaded quickly and brought into the mix.

Couple these weapons with a plan and I believe it would provide a means to get to a safeplace making it difficult for novice intruders to harm anyone. I guess in asking what is the"best", was not an accurate was of presenting my question. In reading everyone’s post, it seems everything is situational and preferential. Meaning, depends on the situation and depends on what the user isc omfortable shooting! There isnt really a "best."

I have definitely gained great knowledge from each and every post in this thread. I would like to thank you all for participating and look forward to speaking with you in the future. I would love to meet many of the members of this community and am honored to be here.

Regards
    Jason

:ingo:

That's a great attitude to have about it all. You are correct, the most important aspect is, create your plan, and practice your plan. Best of luck.

fyrefyter101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    south of fortwayne
    My first line of defense is my german shep, after he lets me know if it friend or foe I grab the savage 69 and on the way the 1911 is my best friend, but the wife has my 6 and hell hath no fury like waking her up....

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Single family home here in a sub-division. There is a garage gun, a laundry room gun, a computer room gun, a master bedroom gun, and the gun near the front door. This doesn't count what is in my wife's purse and in my pocket 24/7.

If I could only have one gun, it would be the one that is on me all the time. If it is on your person, you don't have to worry about the kids in the house. The kids/grandkids won't be able to do anything with the gun that is always in my pocket.

Notice, I never specified long gun or handgun for any of the guns around the house. All that matters is having some kind of gun. What is always on me is a 5 shot 38 special FWIW.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom