• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    This is just me thinking off the top of my head and will be hard for some to follow but here goes.

In the 80's the gay lifestyle was very out and in our face. At that time a lot of the non gay people were disgusted and really turned off by it.

But now 20 years later gays are not even given a second look in the larger citys.
    TV has an proportionate amount of gay characters on it and no one even notices.

Gays make up 3 to 8% of society and are definitely the minority but what they are and how they live have become a non issue with most of us.

So is SE on to something with his marches? Should we all start open carrying to bring it to the forefront of the media?

:dunno:

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Although I have chosen to only concealed carry, I fully support those that open carry. As far as I'm concerned, it is a matter of educating the public and getting them used to the idea that carrying does not equate to shooting up the public square.

I love reading the threads where someone open carries and there is very little reaction. Concealed carry-only allows misperceptions to continue.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I don't think anyone has claimed that a gay person "went off on its own" and injured/killed someone.

I don't think there are such things as "gay free zones"

I don't believe there are signs or policies in businesses saying "unless you are a gay LEO, you cannot be gay in this business".

I think its pretty much apples and oranges.

But it would be cool if people were as tolerant of us law abiding, sheepdogs, as they are of gays and lesbians.

AJB

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I don't think anyone has claimed that a gay person "went off on its own" and injured/killed someone.

I don't think there are such things as "gay free zones"

I don't believe there are signs or policies in businesses saying "unless you are a gay LEO, you cannot be gay in this business".

I think its pretty much apples and oranges.

But it would be cool if people were as tolerant of us law abiding, sheepdogs, as they are of gays and lesbians.

AJB

The military has a concealed carry only stance on being gay. (that is basically what don't ask don't tell is as it relates to this analogy)
    Boy scouts (I think) are "Gay free Zones"
    Many other examples I'm sure. (if not officially then culturally)

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Massad Ayoob has often pointed to the gay community as an example of how to run a movement. You can listen to him talking about it on the podcasts of past shows of Armed American Radio.
    I *think* the link below should be the show where he makes the comparison, but if I'm wrong I apologize. I was trying to remember the rough date when I heard the show, but it was 6+ months ago.
    9-13-2009 AAR Broadcast Hour 2 :Armed American Radio

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well, there is a difference.

Should we all start open carrying to bring it to the forefront of the media?

Well, the media is not behind us when it comes to gun rights.
    If you like guns you are a bitter clinger and "backwards".
    Look at the stories in the media when someone carries a gun in public.
    "OMG THAT GUY IS GOING TO KILL SOMEONE"

They are on the left when it comes to social issues like being gay and are behind the gay lifestyle. (shower needed)
    Remember tolerance.
    "Hey everyone look at this gay rights parade in sunny san francisco, it's GAYRATE!

So is SE on to something with his gay lifestyle?

:wrongdoor:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Well, there is a difference.

Should we all start open carrying to bring it to the forefront of the media?

Well, the media is not behind us when it comes to gun rights.
    If you like guns you are a bitter clinger and "backwards".
    Look at the stories in the media when someone carries a gun in public.
    "OMG THAT GUY IS GOING TO KILL SOMEONE"

They are on the left when it comes to social issues like being gay and are behind the gay lifestyle. (shower needed)
    Remember tolerance.
    "Hey everyone look at this gay rights parade in sunny san francisco, it's GAYRATE!

:wrongdoor:

Theres great sig material in there.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The greatest difference I see comes when the question "why" is asked. A gay person wants the right to live as he wishes, regardless how I feel about it. That is not allowed in a majority of the states, because gay people cannot marry. It is my personal opinion that the law should remain the same, but I won't go there for now.

As it relates to this thread, If we are asked "why" we want to be accepted, what can be said? What are the talking points? What rights in Indiana can we point to that are being disturbed? We can carry openly, but most of us choose not to. I'm not discounting the OP, but I don't care if people don't accept my lifestyle and right to carry a gun.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The greatest difference I see comes when the question "why" is asked. A gay person wants the right to live as he wishes, regardless how I feel about it. That is not allowed in a majority of the states, because gay people cannot marry. It is my personal opinion that the law should remain the same, but I won't go there for now.

As it relates to this thread, If we are asked "why" we want to be accepted, what can be said? What are the talking points? What rights in Indiana can we point to that are being disturbed? We can carry openly, but most of us choose not to. I'm not discounting the OP, but I don't care if people don't accept my lifestyle and right to carry a gun.

What if we start to jam it down peoples throat that the constution has been trampled on for decades.We get the majority to start thinking about why they should not be the content sheep that they are.

Then get gun laws repealed and cheap class III for everyone.:rockwoot:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If you could get the liberal media to support the gun culture we would have to do nothing. There would be movies making guns the hero, movie stars talking about how great guns are on talk shows, the TV news would be slanting every story making guns look good - even if guns were not involved, actors donating their time to make public service announcements about how great guns are etc. The brain washing would never cease.

But liberals hate guns and love perverted evil crap, so that is not going to happen not ever no matter how many pro gun groups voice common sense.

Last edited:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think that if it wasn't for Hollywood, I wouldn't love guns as much as I do. Yep, when I grew up a steady diet of John Wayne and war movies sure seemed to glorify guns and fighting for what is right (and wrong). What happened with that?

If there was a flat tax on individuals and the .gov didn't regulate marriage between people (which is largely based on religious beliefs and benefits) there would be no reason to argue over gay marriage, they'd just do it. And I really doubt the fun things the rest of us get out of being heterosexual would be in danger of a "gay agenda". I do not think there is a role for .gov to play in marriage between a man and a woman (or whoever else), unless you are looking for a civil union, in which case I think the law should apply equal between citizens.

The Gay Movement was effective in alot of ways. Yes, gun owners are in a fight to re-gain our rights and acceptance. I believe we are in a civil rights movement. There are alot of ways we can go about gaining that acceptance. The big issue will always be the fear/safety concern, real on un unrealized that the opposition will use against us. It is a fight worth fighting.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    If you could get the liberal media to support the gun culture we would have to do nothing. There would be movies making guns the hero, movie stars talking about how great guns are on talk shows, the TV news would be slanting every story making guns look good - even if guns were not involved, actors donating their time to make public service announcements about how great guns are etc. The brain washing would never cease.

But liberals hates guns and love perverted evil crap, so that is not going to happen not ever no matter how many pro gun groups voice common sense.
    :+1:
    Sorry, but I refuse to have sex in public or burn a church.
    Even for 2A rights.
    The only reason that gay activists have gotten away with their tactics is because of media support.
    If gun owners did what they do, possession of firearms would be totally banned in 6 months.

Top Bottom