• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I was told by a contractor that Life Proof from HD was his go to for basements. Once I get there, I'll be looking at that direction for our basement project.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is the Life Proof product at Home Depot really "Waterproof"?

I will be replacing an engineered wood kitchen floor that has water damage from a backed up floor drain in the nearby utility room.
    With a 60 year old home on a slab, I doubt that the floor will stay dry forever.

Packages read, "100% waterproof".
    It's solid vinyl, therefore hydrophobic.
    Simply put, it can't absorb moisture.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    We are going to install USFloors (usfloorsllc.com) COREtec vinyl plank cork backed flooring in our place. Good stuff. One of my old computer clients is a flooring company and he highly recommends this brand.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    We put this stuff in when we renovated the kitchen. Floating vinyl tile. It goes in fairly easy, and the finished product is tough and water-proof. We have two big dogs that skid out on it daily and never leave a mark. It was <$3sq ft if I recall correctly.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    We are going to install USFloors (usfloorsllc.com) COREtec vinyl plank cork backed flooring in our place. Good stuff. One of my old computer clients is a flooring company and he highly recommends this brand.

Coretec is the brand that refused to honor their warranty when we had issues with a three year old installation in our living room.
    They claimed that the company was bought out and they would not honor warranties from the previous company.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We compared the Lifeproof from Home Depot with the Cali Bamboo that Lowe's carries. The Cali Bamboo was a special order as they don't keep it in stock...probably due to the price, but it was worth the wait. It has a slightly thicker wear layer than the Lifeproof and has the cork backing so no underlayment was necessary. We installed it over our concrete basement floor and it literally transformed the room. It has been in since November 2017 and looks like new. The area where we installed it is our most used room. It is a walkout basement and that is the entrance we use nearly 100% of the time. We bring firewood in every day with a cart across the flooring, have cats, etc. Cleans up very easily and even dropping firewood on it doesn't mar the finish. They do say not to use chemicals or soap on it so I use a Norwex Microfiber mop system that cleans with just water.

https://www.calibamboo.com/vinyl-fl...LdgWizaj6ClNH4hRFOyd_06UxhxbV914aApNVEALw_wcB

Chv6juo.jpg

This is a Before picture

And After

jdUCeTx.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I can tell you what NOT to buy. Don't buy the LVT that has the ceramic wash on top. It's marketed as kind of a hybrid between LVT and a ceramic tile. Don't do it. It'll scratch and gouge and you'll not be happy. Every single dropped fork or butter knife will leave a mark.

DO buy the thickest you can.

"Waterproof" is only as good as the installation/how the pieces fit together. The planks themselves are waterproof, yes. But if your floor isn't perfectly level, large spills and leaks will run to a wall - and then right down to the subfloor under the trim.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I worry about rolling desk chairs. I am in mine a lot and there is a bit of weight distributed in those five casters.

I put click vinyl from Menards down in a kitchen but sold the house so have no idea about how well it stood up.

Have a house with a leaky basement that I just started on. Wondering if I put the plastic down and take it up the walls if that will allow the little moisture that gets in to make it's way to the floor drain. But then I have to worry about the slight taper for the drain as well.

Just wish I knew more about the vinyl planks.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I worry about rolling desk chairs. I am in mine a lot and there is a bit of weight distributed in those five casters.

I put click vinyl from Menards down in a kitchen but sold the house so have no idea about how well it stood up.

Have a house with a leaky basement that I just started on. Wondering if I put the plastic down and take it up the walls if that will allow the little moisture that gets in to make it's way to the floor drain. But then I have to worry about the slight taper for the drain as well.

I have a rolling desk chair at my computer. I have been rolling around on it for over a year now and haven't got a single mark from doing so. I'm impressed...it was a concern of mine too. We did put the pads under the legs of the heavier furniture but mostly so I could slide it better for cleaning, but we literally have zero marks on the floor from dropping firewood, the furniture, the cats, etc. When we redo the kitchen floor, we will be using vinyl planking in there as well. My linoleum in there has gouges from things being dropped, cuts from knives, etc. I've dropped knives on the vinyl planking a few times...no marks.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

If you're worried about the chair casters, it's easy enough to use a chair mat under the chair.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/478518/Realspace-Hard-Floor-Chair-Mat-Wide/

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    We put this stuff in when we renovated the kitchen. Floating vinyl tile. It goes in fairly easy, and the finished product is tough and water-proof. We have two big dogs that skid out on it daily and never leave a mark. It was <$3sq ft if I recall correctly.

+1 on the loose lay vinyl. I put it down in the basement and it's been super durable. I did drop a knife on a section but all it took was a couple of suction cups to pull it out and a new piece went right back in. We got ours at Floors To Your Home. Who? Floors To Your Home, that's who.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a rolling desk chair at my computer. I have been rolling around on it for over a year now and haven't got a single mark from doing so. I'm impressed...it was a concern of mine too. We did put the pads under the legs of the heavier furniture but mostly so I could slide it better for cleaning, but we literally have zero marks on the floor from dropping firewood, the furniture, the cats, etc. When we redo the kitchen floor, we will be using vinyl planking in there as well. My linoleum in there has gouges from things being dropped, cuts from knives, etc. I've dropped knives on the vinyl planking a few times...no marks.

Does your basement floor have a drain in it? That is what is concerning me about the current project house.

Great news about the desk chairs, as well as the normal wear and tear not being an issue. Have appointments in Muncie tomorrow and am taking the wife so will stop in at Menards and Lowes with her to have a look see. Might just make the trip more south to check out Floors to Your Home and Lumber Liquidators.

Still a little early for our place, but if I can get something for the project house that would be a good test subject.

drawer86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2016
    Morgantown
    That's a sticky subject. If you have an impeccable underlayment and experienced installers it should work out nicely. If this is a commercial or high traffic application go with a commercial version by Tarkett or similar.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    +1 on the loose lay vinyl. I put it down in the basement and it's been super durable. I did drop a knife on a section but all it took was a couple of suction cups to pull it out and a new piece went right back in. We got ours at Floors To Your Home. Who? Floors To Your Home, that's who.

These edges interlock, so replacing a tile in the middle of the room would SUCK. You’d have to pull several tiles starting at the corner to get to it.

Top Bottom