• USPSA Shooter: do you carry a gun?

• Total voters

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    For the past couple years, if I shoot a match with a pistol, it’s my carry gun from concealment. Have to shoot Limited Minor to do it, but who cares?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Are you joking?

How long have you been shooting USPSA?

Yea, there are a couple that shoot our matches, incl a newer guy who carries concealed apx. Only thing I ever said to him was to let him know he’d have to shoot in Lim. He was ok with that. He doesn’t make me nervous at all.

there are guys that I stand back from aways as they go into/out of the holster, that make me nervous.... seems independant of holster type....

-rvb

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    RedWings provide better ankle support. Plus they look good in the office or in the field.

Couldn't afford anything like that in the Philippines back then. I only had one shoe for school and for playing basketball. We're talking about $2 shoes here.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Couldn't afford anything like that in the Philippines back then. I only had one shoe for school and for playing basketball.

Ha. All I had were $10 department store tennis shoes and farm store rubber boots with two pairs of socks for winter. When I got to high school I discovered the $60 Nike held up a lot longer and were probably cheaper in the long run. In high school Mom and Dad did spring for good running shoes when I ran track and good cleats for football.

I had a buddy that all through high school and most of college only wore cowboy boots and a hat. I saw him play basketball, football and even golf in those boots. Let’s just say the local 9 hole course was a little rough.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Couldn't afford anything like that in the Philippines back then. I only had one shoe for school and for playing basketball. We're talking about $2 shoes here.

Did you have pants?

When my dad was little, he did not! Only a tshirt that came down past his hips like a tunic. No tapalodos!

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Did you have pants?

When my dad was little, he did not! Only a tshirt that came down past his hips like a tunic. No tapalodos!

Of course we had pants. I wasn't a UNICEF kid. j/k. Just school uniform. I had prontong shorts. I eventually got a nike shoe for basketball but that's only during actual basketball tournament. But during regular school days, only that one beloved shoe for everything, through rain, mud, floods, sunny, dust.....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Of course we had pants. I wasn't a UNICEF kid. j/k. Just school uniform. I had prontong shorts. I eventually got a nike shoe for basketball but that's only during actual basketball tournament. But during regular school days, only that one beloved shoe for everything, through rain, mud, floods, sunny, dust.....

I was teasing! My dad's stories were from before WW II. Things were a LOT different then than when you were little!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A lot has happened here today and this evening. I just voted and I call bull**** on the results. There are not that many USPSA shooters carrying a gun often. The "when I can" is the wishy washy part. Carry a gun to a match and ask the match director where to clear your carry gun and watch him look at you like you have two heads.

More people need to be carrying to and from the match.

I have shot several matches with an IWB holster and my carry gun. I stopped doing it because the hot gun burned my ass. I did not like it.

My match is gear is not too gamey at all. I do ok.

If the SHTF were do go down I would put that old beat up Comp Tac paddle holster that I use in competition and stuff my Limited gun in it. I don't carry my Limited gun very often because I would hate to use it in serious situation and get is confiscated as evidence. I do sometimes get in the truck and load it up and drive home.

USPSA should not have a carry gun division because they would not be able to do it right. They would make a bunch of stupid rules and screw it up. History is clear.

I cannot think of a C class or above USPSA shooter that I would rather not have on my side in a gun fight over a local cop who shoots at qualification annually.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A lot has happened here today and this evening. I just voted and I call bull**** on the results. There are not that many USPSA shooters carrying a gun often. The "when I can" is the wishy washy part. Carry a gun to a match and ask the match director where to clear your carry gun and watch him look at you like you have two heads.

I have shot several matches with an IWB holster and my carry gun. I stopped doing it because the hot gun burned my ass. I did not like it.

My match is gear is not too gamey at all. I do ok.

If the SHTF were do go down I would put that old beat up Comp Tac paddle holster that I use in competition and stuff my Limited gun on it. I don't carry my Limited gun very often because I would hate to use it in serious situation and get is confiscated as evidence. I do sometimes get in the truck and load it up and drive home.

USPSA should not have a carry gun division because they would not be able to do it right. They would make a bunch of stupid rules and screw it up. History is clear.

I cannot think of a C class or above USPSA shooter that I would rather not have on my side in a gun fight over a local cop who shoots at qualification annually.

Funny you should mention that. At a match at Wildcat last summer, there were a couple of stages where I fired . . . more than 32 rounds. When I stuck my Sig in my holster, it smelled like bacon cooking. Painful.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I just voted and I call bull**** on the results. There are not that many USPSA shooters carrying a gun often. The "when I can" is the wishy washy part. Carry a gun to a match and ask the match director where to clear your carry gun and watch him look at you like you have two heads.

I assumed most folks are stashing the gun in the car somewhere before they turn in to the range, and putting it back on as they head out?

as MD when a new guy shows up my first question is "do you have a hot gun on you?" I don’t ask the regulars cause I don’t wanna know haha...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Carry a gun to a match and ask the match director where to clear your carry gun and watch him look at you like you have two heads...

MD - "just do it in the car"

"Uh, I'm on a motorcycle."

MD -"Are you telling me your gun is loaded now? This is a cold range..."

"Ok, we need to find a rule book, right now sir."

:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I assumed most folks are stashing the gun in the car somewhere before they turn in to the range, and putting it back on as they head out?

as MD when a new guy shows up my first question is "do you have a hot gun on you?" I don’t ask the regulars cause I don’t wanna know haha...

Go out with a group of them after the match sometime and see how many are carrying.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    After thinking about it, I could raise my hand. When I first started going to Warsaw's Wednesday night plate rack shoots, I only had a subcompact pistol and an IWB holster so that is what I used. I wouldn't do that now though.

Before last year, I would have been in the category of I don't carry a gun. No one in my family or friends ever did growing up so I never thought it was a big deal.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    is this a verbal query, or you feeling for kydex?
    Btw: I saw you on Facebook. :)~

Your choice!

I once convinced three USPSA shooters who didn't carry guns to open carry with a group of us after the match. They were reluctant, but I am persuasive. The kicker: all three carried their guns unloaded/no magazine and no mags on their person. I realized when we sat down for lunch that they were Unclear on the Concept.

So who put me on the facebook? Or are you talking about that page that was created to try to coerce me into joining?

Also, I wish some of the USPSA shooters who don't carry would respond to the poll. My experience and anecdotal evidence suggests that those who carry regularly are a minority. Perhaps the people who don't carry are just not on INGO? (actually, I know some of them are on INGO, but they're either not responding or not responding factually).

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

That's what I do when I go to a match since the ones I shoot at are all "cold". Though for the "1911 club" shoots in Atlanta I do use my carry gun and gear (Dan Wesson VBOB and Milt Sparks Leather) just put a fresh mag in the gun when I get to the car.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    My carry gun is a truncated version of what I shoot in matches most of the time. If it ever gets shot in a match, it will be as a carry optics gun with full-capacity mags in it, because otherwise, it would be rather pointless as the scenarios that are set up in USPSA stages have little resemblance to anything you'll encounter in "real life." Competition is about fun, and different people like different things. There is little point in virtue-signaling about it. We seem to be stuck with the cold-range thing. However, we also have a nice little system set up around the principle of, what happens in the parking lot...stays in the parking lot. Isn't living in a free country great? ;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Several years back there were a couple of match Directors who gave some stern warnings about parking lot behavior and changing guns there. They were going to start DQing folks. They are not around anymore.

Top Bottom