• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have wondered that before... Seeing how so much of uspsa depends on the honor system, I'm surprised it took this long for some jack ass to get caught...

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Bad thing is, in the case called into question honor system isn't even in question. He is a match RO! Some people just let competition get the better of them. It starts small like "It almost touched the perf so I'll give him the A" and eventually your boundaries change. Years later, you're dropping seconds off of runs for whatever reason. Crazy stuff...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Unfortunately, I think this is way more common than you would think...

I dunno... maybe, but I don't really think so.
    The real lesson here is RO's should be showing the timer to the scorekeeper, and most do.

I bet there are LOTS of issues w/ poor timer management... not getting last shots through ports, brass hitting timers, etc. But I don't believe (or don't want to believe) cheating is common.

While RM'ing this yrs SS/Prod/Rev match there was a concern brought up from a competitor about a possible timer management problem on a stage. I put my timer on spy mode and watched a few runs and saw no problems. So don't go getting ideas from this... someone might be watching! :shady: haha.

-rvb

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I always show the score keeper the timer after I call the time when ROing. I don't think this is wide spread in USPSA. We are shooting match to have fun and some competition not CHEATING.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I do not believe cheating is widespread. Does it happen absolutely. Is it widespread no. Incompetence is more widespread.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Never seen anyone not show the timer to the scorekeeper. So this is more Isolated. I just wish a second did not go by in like a second!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I just wish a second did not go by in like a second!

Train more. When you achieve full fledged tacticool operator status, you will be able to slow time with your mind. Or is the beard that slows time? I can never remember. No, it's definitely the mind cause I have a beard and a second to me is still a second.:D

In every competitive endeavor man has ever engaged in, there are those who will cheat. I can appreciate the creative interpretation of rules to gain an advantage, but to flat out lie is pretty low.:twocents:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I was at a carbine match where we shot from 100yds. The RO instruction included the safety disclaimer that if you are not confident that you can shoot safely (keep the rounds from going over the berm) at this range you can shoot this stage from the 50. At least one guy fully articulated his logic of "so we can shoot from the 50?" The RO reiterated basically that the stage is designed for 100yds but we didn't want anyone shooting outside of their comfort range. The shooter made it clear that he had no safety issue but saw the world as simple rules to be gamed and shot from the 50 :rolleyes:
    You can't rely on honor system for a lot of people and that goes for more than just cheating. A lot of people want to know what is the line I cannot cross. They can't think in terms of 'how are they wanting this to work'.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You can't rely on honor system for a lot of people and that goes for more than just cheating. A lot of people want to know what is the line I cannot cross. They can't think in terms of 'how are they wanting this to work'.

In USPSA that would be FAR from cheating. In fact, that kind of behavior is almost encouraged. Rules are black and white. Save that "intent of the course" stuff for those other games. There's a reason many of us don't play those other games... because "intent" eventually becomes a futile exercise in mind-reading.

Lying about the time on the timer is black and white cheating. Shooting from a more favorable but legal position despite the course designer's "intent" is gaming. Not the same thing.

I did that mind-reading stuff for far too long in a sport I Dont Participate in Any more.

-rvb

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    In USPSA that would be FAR from cheating. In fact, that kind of behavior is almost encouraged. Rules are black and white. Save that "intent of the course" stuff for those other games. There's a reason many of us don't play those other games... because "intent" eventually becomes a futile exercise in mind-reading.

Lying about the time on the timer is black and white cheating. Shooting from a more favorable but legal position despite the course designer's "intent" is gaming. Not the same thing.

I did that mind-reading stuff for far too long in a sport I Dont Participate in Any more.

-rvb

I agree with all of this 100%
    The event I was talking about was a work in progress, and still working out the kinks. More of a Friday night steel type of thing which is why I thought it was even more telling that he wanted to do that since it REALLY didn't matter for anything.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Those doodie project guys are ruining the sport. You can't listen to them. Paul Hendrix never crushed a beer can with a trophy, and he's veteran police officer. Who are we to believe? An upstanding LEO, or those potty mouth hyenas with no decorum?

Top Bottom