• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Thinking about upgrading my life and getting into a zero turn mower. How many hours is too many? Brands to avoid? Just bite the bullet and buy a new one? Any advice is appreciated. My lawn is only a half acre so I don’t need anything commercial-size.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I also have about a half acre. Love my Simplicity ZT1500! Bought new in 2015 for $2750, and it also had a $200 rebate. No problems so far. I'll never go back to a regular riding mower.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I worked for a ex mark dealer for years and over the winter months all the big landscaping companies trade in their mowers . They use them 1-2 seasons before they trade and they did all maintenance to avoid down time . You can find a decent one if you watch for high hours and damage (welds ,cracks ,bends ,etc) . I am sure other brands have the same situation hope that helps

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thinking about upgrading my life and getting into a zero turn mower. How many hours is too many? Brands to avoid? Just bite the bullet and buy a new one? Any advice is appreciated. My lawn is only a half acre so I don’t need anything commercial-size.
    If you go with a commercial quality used machine of durable construction, the specific choices are pretty forgiving as the "manufacturer" generally only manufactured the chassis. The mechanicals are sourced from other manufacturers. Kubota is the only one making their own driveline.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Simplicity is good but.....

When I bought my current home in 2004 (1.2 acres) I bought a 44 inch Simplicity that had the under powered 18hp Kolher Command.

Other than it being under powered (no way it was close to 18hp) it performed flawlessly. I'd still be motoring around the yard right now with it, but because I was not able to run it the last 3 years due to my health, the engine is more than likely in need of replacement, and they no longer even have a rebuild kit for it.

Used, I've been looking at them. The prices are as ridiculous as used car/truck prices, with a lot of 4+ year old ZTR's coming in close to adding some $$$'s to and buying new.

Even though I like Simplicity's, I'm heavily leaning towards a new 54" Cub Cadet ZTR with a 23hp Kawasaki engine. They have a 3 year warranty front to back, maintenance free spindles, fabricated deck and LED lights are also included. Bummer that the armrest are extra.

Also, buy the mulch kit, worth every penny.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Have had a hustler since '08. A couple of tires and maintenance has served us well. It takes care of 2 acres. Also have a john deere. I can't say anything bad about the jd but I'd rather have hustlers.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just bought a Bad Boy MZ Magnum 48". I've got .6 of an acre.

Really liking it. My other choice was Hustler Raptor XD 48". Because the Hustler had serviceable hydros and the kawasaki engine I wanted. It was more than the Bad Boy by like $800 and I would have still gone with it.

However I went with the Bad Boy which was my second choice mostly because the Hustler dealer in the area didn't have a good reputation and I wasn't going to drop the extra $$ for the Hustler with a dealer I didn't trust. There are 2 Bad Boy dealers in my area and I went with the one with the better reputation and that also had a better price (though it seems most dealers all have the same pricing).

I'll also say that most of these places charge more a good bit more if you want to use their financing promotions (and not just the 2% or so for a card fee but in some cases significantly more). Seems only Kubota does their own financing and is really a same as cash kind of thing. So definitely ask about cash pricing and any financing fees, etc. The Bad Boy was several hundred $ cheaper cash price than the so called financing promo price, so I went the cash price route,

Some good discussion here where I was seeking some info: https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/lawn-mowers.505218/page-2

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Got a 42" Cub Cadet ZT the one with a steering wheel spring of 2018 and it is a nice mower. We have hillsides and I thought the steering wheel type would be better than the front end caster wheels. Jim.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What’s your budget? I agree you don’t need commercial size but commercial build is worth it for longevity of the machine.

I bought an Exmark Radius to mow an acre yard in Fishers. I’m happy with it and will only get rid of it when I upgrade to a Lazer Z.

There are so many ZTRs out there now and I think they have really improved in the non commercial level.
    For a half acre I’d say get at least a 48”. Mow it at 4” and mow it often.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Just bought a Bad Boy MZ Magnum 48". I've got .6 of an acre.

Really liking it. My other choice was Hustler Raptor XD 48". Because the Hustler had serviceable hydros and the kawasaki engine I wanted. It was more than the Bad Boy by like $800 and I would have still gone with it.

However I went with the Bad Boy which was my second choice mostly because the Hustler dealer in the area didn't have a good reputation and I wasn't going to drop the extra $$ for the Hustler with a dealer I didn't trust. There are 2 Bad Boy dealers in my area and I went with the one with the better reputation and that also had a better price (though it seems most dealers all have the same pricing).

I'll also say that most of these places charge more a good bit more if you want to use their financing promotions (and not just the 2% or so for a card fee but in some cases significantly more). Seems only Kubota does their own financing and is really a same as cash kind of thing. So definitely ask about cash pricing and any financing fees, etc. The Bad Boy was several hundred $ cheaper cash price than the so called financing promo price, so I went the cash price route,

Some good discussion here where I was seeking some info: https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/lawn-mowers.505218/page-2
    glad to hear it's going well.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    What’s your budget? I agree you don’t need commercial size but commercial build is worth it for longevity of the machine.

I bought an Exmark Radius to mow an acre yard in Fishers. I’m happy with it and will only get rid of it when I upgrade to a Lazer Z.

There are so many ZTRs out there now and I think they have really improved in the non commercial level.
    For a half acre I’d say get at least a 48”. Mow it at 4” and mow it often.
    My yard is 1.2, 1 acre of it mow able, and my old 44 did just fine. I mulched and did it routinely at a leisurely pace in 1 1/2 hours. If picked up the pace and mowed twice a week (my back yard grows extremely fast), I could do it in under a hour.

Exmark's and Hustler's and others are over priced IMHO.

The main reason I'm looking at going 54 inch I'm going to mow 2 of my neighbors yards for all the help they have done for me since Mrs. LBM passed and my health issues. I figure that is the least I could do. Sneak over and stealth mow during the day.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Have a grass hopper 618 , bought it with 258 hrs. At least 6 pto belts and at the 333 mark engine went. $1500 for the new engine with labor and I was up and going again. I also have a 1993 model JD gt262 bought new with close to 3000 hrs. It has a Kawasaki engine snd only issues was a carb problem. With the expected due to age and use issues - electric pto belt drive clutch shelled out, pto switch, front wheel bearings, a deck belt & drive belt. So it’s all in the luck of the draw it seems.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I like Skag mowers. I mow my yard with a Free Craftsman my neighbor gave me that did not run. I'm cheap when it comes to mowers.

Top Bottom