• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I have a TroyBilt ZTR that I purchased at Lowes about 2008, It has been trouble free and does a good job mowing. I think I paid about $3000 for it. I mowed a little over one acre with it. Good luck.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Any experience good or bad with Husqvarna?
    If you can find one with the Kawasaki motor better choice. I ordered one last year late in the season but it has briggs 24 hp on it. A good motor and it does a great job. I thought I was getting the Kawasaki motor on mine.. wasn’t a deal breaker but the dealer gave a a price break on it. Heavier deck that’s fabricated not stamped and bigger spindles make a difference but depending on what your mowing. Hills? Ditches? Rough ground? all things to consider. Just depends on where you have to get into and around
    I’m not a big fan of them but I got mine for a great price and I’m contemplating getting rid of it for a different mower.
    Husqvarna makes a front deck rear engine mower that’s articulated and I’ve had 2 in the last 20 years. Both used but made in Sweden. I would go back to one of those. My wife loved it. About eliminated a push mower and with the floating deck it mowed great.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thinking about upgrading my life and getting into a zero turn mower. How many hours is too many? Brands to avoid? Just bite the bullet and buy a new one? Any advice is appreciated. My lawn is only a half acre so I don’t need anything commercial-size.
    Up where I grew up in NW Indiana, the farmers in my hometown most commonly use Grasshoppers on the farm.
    Every year there are some who trade them in for another new one, and the dealer has plenty of ones in good shape if you can get in there in the Spring to pick one.

I bought a used 2008 Grasshopper 727T6, with Kohler 27hp V-twin and a 61" front deck about 8-9 years ago with 267 Hours on it.
    It's been a GREAT mower.
    All I do is change the oil and grease it every year and have had zero problems with it.

Let me add that I have a friend who until recently worked for a farmer and part of his job was mowing on the farm.
    The farmer had my friend using a Grasshopper with 4000+ hours on it, and it was still going strong.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We bought our Dixie in 08. 50”, commercial grade deck with the 24hp Kohler. Last year I had to put a hydro in it. Started leaking pretty bad and I ran it dry. That was the first failure since 08. Has about 600 hours on it IIRC. Our 2 acres would take 3 hours to mow on the 46” craftsman if it wasn’t tall. 4 was more common because it’s super thick. The Dixie chopped that to 1.5 to 2 depending on how long I’ve let it go.

$5k in 08 may be the best miney I have spent on the house

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That has seriously crossed mind. Quit being a lazy butt and just push mow the darn thing.
    I've got 0.6 acre at this house. Previous house had 0.4 acre and the extra 0.2 on this house was kicking my ass last summer in August (first year) Got a ZTR last week and went from an hour 20 minutes to less than 30 minutes on just my second mow with it, and will probably get faster.

Ill take the dog for a walk for exercise rather than push that mower to get exercise.

Not sure where that ROI is for you, but the extra yard at this house pushed me over the edge after having pushed a mower for decades.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    1/2 acre? I've had a JS-40 for the past 16 years. That's all you need for a 1/2 acre. hilly or flat. The new ones come with 8.75hp. I am thinking about checking the valve adjustment next winter just because I haven't. I may buy it it's second spark plug for the same reason.
    1618952968841.png

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Get an estimate for how much it would cost to have it mowed.

3k could possibly pay to have it done for quite awhile.

3K, Hahahahahaha

I guess you've not been in a circumstance where you couldn't mow your yard. $50.00 is getting off cheap, even for a half acre.
    26 weeks x 50.00 runs you 1300.00 a season, and that's only once a week. How many times have you had to mow a yard twice in 1 week?
    Then you have to deal with someone not mowing your yard to your satisfaction, or trying to mow as many yards a day as possible and using your yard a F1 qualifying event.
    Which means your yard will really turn out looking like :poop:

I was lucky to find some one I went to school with that was supplementing this income mowing since I've not been able to grace the seat of a mower over the last 3+ seasons.
    But that is no more since he decided to get his 4th DWI and then get hammered for parole violation.
    Before I found him, I was getting quotes for 75.00 to 100.00 with a mow only. Now you're to 2600.00, my last quote 3 weeks ago for my 1 acre was 125.00.
    A cheap Craftsman 42 inch ZTR from Lowes will run you 2550.00.

My old ZTR cost me 4400.00 back in 04, was in use for 13 years, that's 388 per year. Paying to have some one do work for you always cost you more in the long run.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    3K, Hahahahahaha

I guess you've not been in a circumstance where you couldn't mow your yard. $50.00 is getting off cheap, even for a half acre.
    26 weeks x 50.00 runs you 1300.00 a season, and that's only once a week. How many times have you had to mow a yard twice in 1 week?
    Then you have to deal with someone not mowing your yard to your satisfaction, or trying to mow as many yards a day as possible and using your yard a F1 qualifying event.
    Which means your yard will really turn out looking like :poop:

I was lucky to find some one I went to school with that was supplementing this income mowing since I've not been able to grace the seat of a mower over the last 3+ seasons.
    But that is no more since he decided to get his 4th DWI and then get hammered for parole violation.
    Before I found him, I was getting quotes for 75.00 to 100.00 with a mow only. Now you're to 2600.00, my last quote 3 weeks ago for my 1 acre was 125.00.
    A cheap Craftsman 42 inch ZTR from Lowes will run you 2550.00.

My old ZTR cost me 4400.00 back in 04, was in use for 13 years, that's 388 per year. Paying to have some one do work for you always cost you more in the long run.
    Location, Location, Location.

I know some guys that do lawn care, and they're not getting those prices around here.

The thread was about used lawn mowers, then asked about Husqvarna, so I used $3k.
    And time is money, so if you don't want to spend time mowing, maintaining a mower and weed eater, and keeping fuel for less than 1/2 acre.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I wouldn’t worry about the hours as much as the overall condition. Id rather have a high hr mower that’s clean and appears to be well cared for than one thats beat up or rusty and probably had the guts yanked out of it. Anything big brand would be solid.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That has seriously crossed mind. Quit being a lazy butt and just push mow the darn thing.
    Not the same situation... But our place is 1/3 acre. Minus the 1600 sq ft house, the deck, the yard barn, and the amount of ground for the driveways... But add a little time back to mow around the swing set...

IF I hustle, it's an hour with our 21" push mower. (Wholly push mowed, too. Not a self-propelled) If I lolly-gag, it's 1.5. Probably an extra 20-30 mins for your yard?

yes, "time is money"... But how long would it take to recoup your "money" vs the initial expense of said mower purchase? Even used you can spend $3-5k pretty easy if you go way over-kill.

https://www.outdoorhappens.com/best-zero-turn-mower-under-3000-review-2020/ :D

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Location, Location, Location.

I know some guys that do lawn care, and they're not getting those prices around here.

The thread was about used lawn mowers, then asked about Husqvarna, so I used $3k.
    And time is money, so if you don't want to spend time mowing, maintaining a mower and weed eater, and keeping fuel for less than 1/2 acre.

I was pointing out cost of a new mower versus having your yard mowed by someone else, and in case you missed where I said "you couldn't mow your yard." My circumstance was because I could not climb on or off a mower because of a mini stroke.

Used ZTR mower prices are more absurd than used vehicle prices. I've seen people selling (and getting it) prices for used mowers at what you can almost by new for. I seen the other day someone selling a 04 Simplicity 44 inch ZTR with a mulch kit for $2500.00. Funny thing is that I bought the same exact mower in 04 brand new with the mulch kit for $4400.00.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I was pointing out cost of a new mower versus having your yard mowed by someone else, and in case you missed where I said "you couldn't mow your yard." My circumstance was because I could not climb on or off a mower because of a mini stroke.

Used ZTR mower prices are more absurd than used vehicle prices. I've seen people selling (and getting it) prices for used mowers at what you can almost by new for. I seen the other day someone selling a 04 Simplicity 44 inch ZTR with a mulch kit for $2500.00. Funny thing is that I bought the same exact mower in 04 brand new with the mulch kit for $4400.00.
    I get it, I spent the majority of 2019 in a hospital just outside chicago. Luckily family and friends stepped up and helped us out.

I'm just saying it depends on the area. Personally I wouldn't be looking for a zero turn if I had 1/2 acre, just because they are more expensive.
    1619018956729.png
    I would be looking for something like this, they are better built than the cheap zero turns with unserviceable parts and way cheaper.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I get it, I spent the majority of 2019 in a hospital just outside chicago. Luckily family and friends stepped up and helped us out.

I'm just saying it depends on the area. Personally I wouldn't be looking for a zero turn if I had 1/2 acre, just because they are more expensive.
    View attachment 136606
    I would be looking for something like this, they are better built than the cheap zero turns with unserviceable parts and way cheaper.
    Those are worth their weight in gold, I got a chuckle of someone trying to sell a 1987 model for $1500.00 last fall.
    Now while these are great old mowers, if there's a lot of trees, shrubbery and other things that need to be mowed around, you can't beat a small ZTR even on a half acre.
    Proper maintenance and not abusing the equipment and you should get great a deal of life out of them, even with non serviceable part.

The big problem is people that only change the oil when it looks dirty and do a pre-season service.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    600 hours and a burned out hydro unit?

OK, but I would not be happy.
    It was self inflicted. I’d changed the fluid and filter and cut the oil filter seal. Just kept topping off because every single weekend I was mowing or fixing something. Didn’t top off and it started driving funny halfway through. The leak got worse abs I tried to make it until the end of the year. Didn’t work out for me.

Top Bottom