• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

We all know this happens, wouldn't the simple solution be to require marked cars for traffic stops? Yes they can be faked too, but requires more effort and should also be easier to find/identify.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So if there is nothing to mark a law enforcement vehicle call 911 and let them know an unmarked car is trying to pull you over?
    This is where there can be an issue- at night. The vehicle has to be clearly marked or the officer must be in uniform. If it were me, I would pull over if I was lit up, but if the vehicle is unmarked and the person who gets out is not in uniform, I would drive away. Tougher to see if the person is in uniform at night.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So if there is nothing to mark a law enforcement vehicle call 911 and let them know an unmarked car is trying to pull you over?
    Maybe. Read that closer. marked OR officer in uniform.

If you pull over for an unmarked car, and the person in the unmarked car gets out in plain clothes, THAT is the time to decide whether to pull away slowly and call 911, or sit and take a chance.

If I decided to pull away, I wouldnt floor it. I'd pull away slowly and calmly fast enough the person couldnt run to catch me, then proceed at a slow speed while dialing 911. But that could still result in a curb stomp if the original officer was legit.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I want to rob somebody using this method I can certainly fake a uniform look at that looked good enough to make you wait

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For as long as I can remember, Indiana law has been that traffic stops must be in distinctly marked vehicles or the officer must be in uniform.

Ind. Code § 9-30-2-2.
    Right, I know that, and was talking to the wife about it as she also saw the headline. I guess I was more wondering why it was necessary at all to have unmarked cars doing traffic stops. Granted at night identifying the car and uniform becomes even more difficult.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For as long as I can remember, Indiana law has been that traffic stops must be in distinctly marked vehicles or the officer must be in uniform.

Ind. Code § 9-30-2-2.

Not exactly. An unmarked car and an out of uniform officer can stop you, but can't write a ticket or make an arrest for traffic related offenses without a uniformed officer present. Plain clothes officers in unmarked cars can still make stops legally, although policy may prevent it, and can make arrests for non-traffic things.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I want to rob somebody using this method I can certainly fake a uniform look at that looked good enough to make you wait

People with forethought and planning skills tend to not be street level robbers. People who get robbed by impersonators are, more often than not, dealing drugs.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not exactly. An unmarked car and an out of uniform officer can stop you, but can't write a ticket or make an arrest for traffic related offenses without a uniformed officer present. Plain clothes officers in unmarked cars can still make stops legally, although policy may prevent it, and can make arrests for non-traffic things.
    You, of course, are correct. I looked at the statute earlier today, but was too lazy to edit.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So what do you suggest if a person is in this situation at night especially?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Maybe. Read that closer. marked OR officer in uniform.

If you pull over for an unmarked car, and the person in the unmarked car gets out in plain clothes, THAT is the time to decide whether to pull away slowly and call 911, or sit and take a chance.

If I decided to pull away, I wouldnt floor it. I'd pull away slowly and calmly fast enough the person couldnt run to catch me, then proceed at a slow speed while dialing 911. But that could still result in a curb stomp if the original officer was legit.
    Wasn't there an episode in the past ten years or so when an unmarked out of uniform officer tried to pull over some teenage girl? Seems like he jumped out with a huge attitude yelling and cursing at her which understandably scared the hell out of her. She left him in a cloud of dust and called 911 and they tried to coordinated a traffic stop with marked units but said scumbag pitted her or something prior to the marked units arriving. Seems they arrested the attitude but don't remember details or outcome.

Top Bottom