• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This might be the case of looking for the white elephant.... I am looking for an exhaust fan that can move 100 CFM of air minimum.... It needs to be able to be attached to a home made vent hood and vent tubing of either plastic or steel.... the fan itself must be either entirely steel or entirely plastic.... all steel would be better.... the copper wiring of the blower moter should not be exposed to the air that moves through the fan.... looking for less than 200 dollars....

Anybody out there in a business where they know a bit more about these?.... like where to find them... been looking for over an hour without much luck...

FYI this will be for a hot CAUSTIC blueing operation (maybe) so aluminum of any sorts is out of the question.

Last edited:

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Your best bet will probably be a remote mount, or roof mount exhaust unit, like the ones you see on restaurants over the kitchen hood. Grainger might have one in stainless, with a TEFC fan motor. I've never seen one in plastic or polymer, although I've never looked hard for one. I hope you aren't looking for a bargain price, though..;)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    DEFINATLY looking for a bargain price.... have no choice at this point in time.... I might try a regular ventilation unit and just see how long it lasts.... if it lasts 6 months its worth my time.... if it doesnt last for three or four blueing sessons its not worth my time.... just seeing if anyone has any experience with these who knows a bit more than i do and can help me out.

hence the SUB 200 dollar price mark.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I'm not sure if a "over the range" hood would fit your application or not but they can be cheap in terms of $$$ .

If not , you might try looking at bathroom exhaust fans .

I think they would fit your CFM requirement and with some snips could be "Bubba'd" to make them work .

Another option might be looking for a fan from a "junk" convection oven , not sure about the CFM's but it might be better suited for your application .

You could buy some flat aluminum vent material from Lowe's , use some snips , "flats" and self tapping screws to make a box to attach it to your vent .

Check that , buy whatever material that'll work for you

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'm not sure if a "over the range" hood would fit your application or not but they can be cheap in terms of $$$ .

If not , you might try looking at bathroom exhaust fans .

I think they would fit your CFM requirement and with some snips could be "Bubba'd" to make them work .

Another option might be looking for a fan from a "junk" convection oven , not sure about the CFM's but it might be better suited for your application .

You could buy some flat aluminum vent material from Lowe's , use some snips , "flats" and self tapping screws to make a box to attach it to your vent .

Check that , buy whatever material that'll work for you

There can be NO aluminum exposeded to the steam.... I will be using a plastic 55 gallon drum cut in half long ways for the hood.... on the top of that is where i am going to mount the fan.... a bathroom vent fan will move nothing close to 100 cubic feet per minute.

these are two i have looked at but have not heard back from the sellers to see what the blades are made out of... i might be able to swap them out with steel blades

Dayton Blower 273 CFM Exhaust Fan - Hydroponics - HPS - eBay (item 250409134441 end time Jun-16-09 17:01:45 PDT)

6" ELICENT INLINE DUCT FAN EXHAUST BLOWER HYDROPONIC - eBay (item 390052709103 end time May-27-09 12:01:32 PDT)

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Hmmm, I missed the $200 limit... there are a couple of bath fans that are listed for 100 CFM, and are direct axis like I think you want, maybe like this?

http://www.broan.com/display/pdf/Broan_220_240_Volt_eCatalog.pdf

the blades are poly, but the motor isn't enclosed, and these often get right up to your $200 limit, but they move well over your 100 CFM requirement. I thimk Allied Electric Supply on the westside still handles the Broan line and could order it for you.

ETA:
    oops, scratch that one in the link. It's 50 Hz, for Europe. Try this one. It's 120v and has a higher CFM rate.

Product Detail

you might have to fab new mounting brackets for the motor. If I remember correctly, they were Aluminum

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Forget the bath fan idea.Go with a blower motor.You will get a ton more CFM than you need and spend less than you would for a cheap bath exhaust fan.
    http://www.blowermotors.net/?keyword=&node=&rt=3&pageNum=2&rattr=&mattr=&sort=&show=10

HVACR > Blowers > Small Centrifugal Blowers > High Temperature Blower,115 Volt.102 CFM : Grainger Industrial Supply
    It would not require much to rig to your exhaust.And 115 dollars for the 102cfm one.
    Here is the page with all the blowers.You can get 115CFM for as little as 66 dollars.
    HVACR > Blowers > Small Centrifugal Blowers : Grainger Industrial Supply

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I totally forgot , you could talk to Jason in the parts dept . at Clark's appliance on the east side ( 70+post) .

They have a huge selection of hoods / fans of all types and could probably find what you want .

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thanks guys.... just got off the phone with a guy who has used a squirrel cage blower off a home hvac unit..... only problem is when i look these up NONE of the descriptions say what type of material the blades are made out of?????

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    thanks guys.... just got off the phone with a guy who has used a squirrel cage blower off a home hvac unit..... only problem is when i look these up NONE of the descriptions say what type of material the blades are made out of?????
    Most are tin.And should be ok for your use(caustic).If you are getting one free from some one check the blades with a magnet to make sure it is not aluminum. Most are not though.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    The bath fans all use poly blades, because of the moisture they expect to encounter and cost reasons. The squirrel cage motors generally use aluminum for the vane assembly for weight and cost reasons, although the more heavy duty ones don't.

How close are your neighbors? What are they going to say about you wafting that smell through the backyards? Just curious.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Tin wouldnt be attracted with a magnet either... but thanks for the info... i saw shiny silver and assumed aluminum... .never even thought about the fact that they could be tin.... thanks a million.... i may post pics of all this when i get it done... will be several months though.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The bath fans all use poly blades, because of the moisture they expect to encounter and cost reasons. The squirrel cage motors generally use aluminum for the vane assembly for weight and cost reasons, although the more heavy duty ones don't.

How close are your neighbors? What are they going to say about you wafting that smell through the backyards? Just curious.

I have talked to several people accross the country who have had this set up in close proximity to other homes and the responce was unanimous.... once the steam exits and is no longer suspended it does not hold a smell hardly at all and looses almost all of its caustic properties.... I explained the way i planned on setting all this up in great detail to these guys... two of which have been doing it for 20+ years.... and they all said i am good to go... i am also plannin on putting a filter on the end of the exhaust to catch a good portion of the moisture that this will put off.... worst case if it doesnt work out in my present location i will be looking for another.....

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I have talked to several people accross the country who have had this set up in close proximity to other homes and the responce was unanimous.... once the steam exits and is no longer suspended it does not hold a smell hardly at all and looses almost all of its caustic properties.... I explained the way i planned on setting all this up in great detail to these guys... two of which have been doing it for 20+ years.... and they all said i am good to go... i am also plannin on putting a filter on the end of the exhaust to catch a good portion of the moisture that this will put off.... worst case if it doesnt work out in my present location i will be looking for another.....

OK, I didn't know. Didn't 500 Guns have a hot bluing set-up back when Vern Trester was 'smithing there?

I do know of a guy west of me who is a gunsmith, and last time I talked to him, he was getting ready to set his back up. (He has just moved to this area and was finishing up a shop in a pole barn he had built). Now, I don't know anything of his work, yet, but if you want to travel that far, maybe on a Saturday drive, I can give you his address, and directions, if you want them.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ill pass.... chances are he wont want to show me his setup anyways because i will be competition someday.... i dont know of any blueing setup minus one lady that does it in indy but she is 68 years old and doesnt take work from just anyone... there is definatly a market for this but i will not be offering anything to the public for quite sometime.... have alot on my hands right now.... just trying to take this one piece at a time and get where i need to be.....

still looking for a squirrel cage fan with steel blades..... cannot seem to find one.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't have any suggestions as to where to find, but I'd wonder if maybe using multiple fans would do the job as well? If all you can find are, say 40 CFM, but you used three of them, would that move enough air to do what you want? Would it help if they were set up next to each other as opposed to each filling the exhaust vent?
    I really don't know, I just wanted to offer the suggestion.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I don't have any suggestions as to where to find, but I'd wonder if maybe using multiple fans would do the job as well? If all you can find are, say 40 CFM, but you used three of them, would that move enough air to do what you want? Would it help if they were set up next to each other as opposed to each filling the exhaust vent?
    I really don't know, I just wanted to offer the suggestion.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Probably not... the problem is not finding a fan that moves enough air there is a metric ton of those available used and new for really great prices.... the problem is finding one with STEEL fan blades. the steam from the tank will not effect anything except for aluminum or other soft medals.... it will not hurt anything organic or plastic... just metal.... and aluminum at a much faster rate than steel.... hence wanting steel fan blades for longevity.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Call any HVAC business. They normally will sell you the blower out of a furnace. You can regulate how much air you move by blocking the intake. I don't ever remember seeing one with anything but steel blades. Some where in the $20 dollar range. I used one of them when I had my blacksmith shop set up in my garage. By adjusting the pulleys you can change the RPM. Which changes the CFM.

Top Bottom