• ...and so much more!
  • grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Two injured in accidental shooting at Bloomington gun show

An attendee at the show was handling a Ruger Mini-14, semi-automatic rifle at about 11:15 a.m. As the patron was laying the rifle back on a vendor table, the gun accidentally discharged, said McLean County Sheriff Mike Emery.
    “The round went through a post, through a person and then into another person,” said Emery, describing the post as wooden, and 6 to 8 inches thick.
    I wonder if it came in loaded or someone slipped a round in.

9mm Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Lafayette
    Yes, what the heck. I hope everyone is going to be okay. It's idiots like these that gives all gun owners and gun shows a bad rep.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    My questions are as follows:

- Was there a magazine in the rifle? If so, why?
    - Was the bolt zip tied open? If not, why?

I only go the 1500, but it seems to be pretty much S.O.P. that there is never a mag in an auto feeder, and that there is usually a zip tie through the feed and ejection port color coded to vendors.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    An account from an Appleseeder working a table some 20 yards from the discharge:

RIFLE SAFETY @ GUN SHOWS

That was painful to read and not just for the inability to spell correctly. (Did anyone else scream, "it's 'rumor'!"?)

And people e-mail to say that I am beating a dead horse with the firearms safety issue when I post examples of guns going bang when triggers are not pulled..:rolleyes:

Two people potentially shot dead because someone does not understand that the Four Rules light is always on, or because he "has been around guns all my life" does not think that the Rules apply to him.

Lesson learned here from two dead bodies:

1. Four Rules light is always on.
    2. Guns can go bang when triggers are not pulled.

Expensive lesson this time.

Four Rules light is always on. The gun is always loaded.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    That was painful to read and not just for the inability to spell correctly. (Did anyone else scream, "it's 'rumor'!"?)

And people e-mail to say that I am beating a dead horse with the firearms safety issue when I post examples of guns going bang when triggers are not pulled..:rolleyes:

Two people potentially shot dead because someone does not understand that the Four Rules light is always on, or because he "has been around guns all my life" does not think that the Rules apply to him.

Lesson learned here from two dead bodies:

1. Four Rules light is always on.
    2. Guns can go bang when triggers are not pulled.

Expensive lesson this time.

Four Rules light is always on. The gun is always loaded.

+1

but, do you mean to tell me that it's a good idea to treat all guns as if they are always loaded?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    From the Appleseed thread:

RIFLE SAFETY @ GUN SHOWS

"The word at the scene was that the "handler" dropped the rifle and it discharged. I am inclined to believe that based upon the bullet path as marked by the crime scene investigators. We had people two deep at our table and did not see the occurence. However, the retort of a .223 in a closed room followed by screams to call 911 was horrible. The chest wound was a ghastly entry and exit wound. "

Prayers sent.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My heart and prayers go out to the two men and their families, but what the hell?

sooo much went wrong in this cluster****. I don't doubt that criminal procedings will be filed against whoever loaded that gun. at the very least, 2 counts of negligent GBH, possibly Neg. homicide. I hope they find the people responsible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The word at the scene was that the "handler" dropped the rifle and it discharged. I am inclined to believe that based upon the bullet path as marked by the crime scene investigators.

You mean that guns can discharge if fingers aren't on triggers?

This cannot be, only lunatics like Kirk Freeman say that. It must be a "roomer"!

Top Bottom