Turn Signals, Does Anyone Use Them Anymore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, people drive like idiots. I've always said that since driving is a privilege and not a right, we should retest for our license every 5 years. Maybe reinforce the rules so that morons can remember. Using a signal isn't hard. Being a considerate driver isn't hard. People drive like they're the only people on the road and give no consideration for other drivers. The daily commute was absolutely killing me and I'm glad I now WFH and don't have to deal with it any more.
    If you have a McDonalds in your right hand and a cell phone in your left hand, driving with your knee then how do we expect anything more of them.
    Total disregard for those around them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will add this when merging onto a interstate it is your responsibility to match the flow and speed of traffic.

This means you need to be going at the speed limit by the end of the ramp not 45mph.

I drive about 3,200 miles a week everyday people try to commit suicide by messing with a 80,000lb rolling death machine. If you guy’s could just ride with me for one trip though St. Louis you would be like WTF. After you pulled your underwear out of you forth point of contact.
    No need to ride along. I see it every titime we leave the house.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Been driving since the 70s and haven’t seen much difference over the years except at 4 way stops. You know take your turn after stopping, yield to the guy to your right if it’s a tie. I literally see people stop and then think because they stopped it’s their turn and go! Or people stop behind a car and when that car goes they go with it!!! The worst is being in the country and people running stop signs with corn right to the edge… you can’t see and your going to run it!!! Had the crap scared out of a number of times and lucky I’m still alive. Also seen where someone wasn’t lucky. I can’t blame texting cause that crap wasnt going on, maybe day dreaming. Regardless when the corn gets high I stay on the highways as much as possiable. The other thing that doesn’t change are county hilly roads. Mom told when I started when going up a hill hug that ditch line…the middle of the road on a hill ain’t the place to be at the top….lots out there never got that memo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will add this when merging onto a interstate it is your responsibility to match the flow and speed of traffic.

This means you need to be going at the speed limit by the end of the ramp not 45mph.

I drive about 3,200 miles a week everyday people try to commit suicide by messing with a 80,000lb rolling death machine. If you guy’s could just ride with me for one trip though St. Louis you would be like WTF. After you pulled your underwear out of you forth point of contact.
    This is a real pet peeve with me and some here give me a hard time but I'm not moving into the left lane nor do I expect or want others to move into the left lane when merging onto the interstate. Driving like that creates all kinds of dynamic situations that I don't have enough time to explain here.

The proper way, period, is for the merger to adjust speed to drop in behind or ahead of the traffic driving on the interstate.

Disclaimer: I do occasionally move into the left lane if I think there is an idiot that doesn't know how to merge properly and I make exceptions for big rigs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not using turn signals is laziness and being inconsiderate like most here are saying. Have had people tell me that they "are in the right turn lane so why do I need to signal that I'm turning right?"

Because you need to let us know that you know where you are going!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I literally see people stop and then think because they stopped it’s their turn and go! Or people stop behind a car and when that car goes they go with it!!!
    Here in Johnson Co. the idiots have a tendency to stop multiple times for a stop sign. They stop at the white line, then pull forward and stop again partially into the intersection. Some even do a third stop even farther into the intersection. It really screws up the timing on 4 ways and I've never seen this procedure anywhere else. Of course, I've also followed a number of people that stop unnecessarily for roundabouts then proceed to roll through stop signs.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Here in Johnson Co. the idiots have a tendency to stop multiple times for a stop sign. They stop at the white line, then pull forward and stop again partially into the intersection. Some even do a third stop even farther into the intersection. It really screws up the timing on 4 ways and I've never seen this procedure anywhere else. Of course, I've also followed a number of people that stop unnecessarily for roundabouts then proceed to roll through stop signs.

I wish more people would understand what the yield sign in a roundabout means. Too many times I'm in a roundabout and someone flies in like they have the right of way. Idiots. If someone is already in the roundabout, they have the right of way.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In Atlanta you simply drive close enough to other motorists to observe their hands on the wheel. Nobody needs signals.

Chicago is unique in that it's illegal to use the equipped turn signal, you must use the Chicago Taxi Turn Signal. You drift over slightly without checking if the lane is clear and if nobody hits their horn that means you can procede.

In Florida everyone uses their turn signals. Constantly. Generally as an indication of the turn they made 15 miles beforehand.

They say the safest way to drive is to assume every other motorists wants to kill you. In DC traffic that's not an assumption for any motorist, it's true. Anyone who dies today won't be on the road tomorrow and that's a win for all the survivors.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    In Atlanta you simply drive close enough to other motorists to observe their hands on the wheel. Nobody needs signals.

Chicago is unique in that it's illegal to use the equipped turn signal, you must use the Chicago Taxi Turn Signal. You drift over slightly without checking if the lane is clear and if nobody hits their horn that means you can procede.

In Florida everyone uses their turn signals. Constantly. Generally as an indication of the turn they made 15 miles beforehand.

They say the safest way to drive is to assume every other motorists wants to kill you. In DC traffic that's not an assumption for any motorist, it's true. Anyone who dies today won't be on the road tomorrow and that's a win for all the survivors.
    Also in Florida, retirees evenly distribute themselves between all lanes and synchronize their speed to slightly under the speed limit. Everyone else drives 20 over and weaves in and out of the retirees.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is a real pet peeve with me and some here give me a hard time but I'm not moving into the left lane nor do I expect or want others to move into the left lane when merging onto the interstate. Driving like that creates all kinds of dynamic situations that I don't have enough time to explain here.

The proper way, period, is for the merger to adjust speed to drop in behind or ahead of the traffic driving on the interstate.

Disclaimer: I do occasionally move into the left lane if I think there is an idiot that doesn't know how to merge properly and I make exceptions for big rigs.
    I also see the folks that are on an on-ramp soon to merge with 70+ mph traffic going 45 mph down it. Cannot merge with a 30 mph difference in speed. But as someone stated, they teach to pass the test not to drive. We are doing that all through society, test passers that know absolutely nothing…

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    My pet peeve is when I pull up to a stop sign, and there is a car waiting at the stop going the opposite direction. No turn signal, so they must be going straight, right? Well, while we're waiting for cross traffic to clear, they “might“ turn on their left turn signal. Then they give me the finger shake when I cross first and make them wait. If you had your signal on to start with, I would let you go first.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    How about people “policing” speed in the left lane …. If you wanted to be a police officer go to the academy if not it is the passing lane not the “I’m going 5 over so what more does this guy behind me want lane” id be willing to bet people misusing the passing lane causes a lot of accidents. Causing the faster drivers to weave into other lanes to pass.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    We were taught that you don't cross a solid double yellow for passing or just to turn into the local convenience store.

And if they don't know that rule, then they sure as hell have no clue what the solid white line between lanes on the interstate means - I see it ignored in construction zones daily

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I’ll be completely honest, when I have to go downtown, I rarely use turn signals, it’s just asking the asshat behind me to jump into my blind spot. I’m not sure why people want to screw with trucks, but they do for no other reason than they don’t want to be behind you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't do that on a 4 way, there are a couple of 2 way stop signs around me I do that to. Where you are supposed to stop the sight lines aren't very good, pulling forward that extra 5-6ft makes a big difference.
    And if they don't know that rule, then they sure as hell have no clue what the solid white line between lanes on the interstate means - I see it ignored in construction zones daily
    I know what it means, but I used to ignore it at one place in my town constantly. It was either that or change lanes in the middle of an intersection. It's since been changed to a dotted white line.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    How about people “policing” speed in the left lane …. If you wanted to be a police officer go to the academy if not it is the passing lane not the “I’m going 5 over so what more does this guy behind me want lane” id be willing to bet people misusing the passing lane causes a lot of accidents. Causing the faster drivers to weave into other lanes to pass.
    There is actually a law on the books that states something to the effect that one cannot be in the left lane impeding traffic. You can be ticketed if you cause someone to have to pass you on the right.

I don't see how this can be enforced and why they didn't write the law to say "keep right, except to pass" is beyond my knowledge of how laws work.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    One pet peeve of mine (what, me? a pet peeve?!?) is roundabouts. Nobody uses turn signals in them anymore. Heaven forbid, you should inconvenience yourself to indicate your intentions to the other cars in/entering the roundabout.

I have a 15-year-old, who is taking notice of operating a vehicle and how drivers behave. I try to teach her these things. The main lessons are to drive assertively, drive defensively (observe and act preemptively to the other cars around you), and be courteous of other drivers.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Courtesy is foreign to most it seems. A pet peeve of mine is people who stop to talk to a pedestrian or other car in the middle of the road. I don't care if it's in a regular road, or in an addition, pull the F over idiots. It's not hard to be considerate to other drivers, but you'd think it is by how people refuse to do it.

Top Bottom