• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Division? No American head of state lead a more divisive presidency in my lifetime than Obama, a democrat. Not saying Republicans deserve a trophy for morality, but in terms of being wrapped around division, being called literally Hitler is fake division coming from the other side. I really fail to see how either side can claim being moral. If this is a contest to see who is least immoral, no one really ever wins that.

Unless you were born at the end of the Trump presidency, and I'm not sure how we could be having this conversation, I can't see how that could possibly be true.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Again, this is a goalpost issue.

The hypocrisy of the left generally balances the hypocrisy of the right. I'm not really defending either.

I'm offering an explanation to the OP question as to why Trump is so popular. It is a reflection of our society. Notably, the Clintons are very popular, too.

Um, not really. Most people want her to STFU and go away. Other than her devotees, Hillary voters are pissed at her just for losing to Trump. A lot of democrat voters are pissed at her because of her collusion with the party to GLOCK over Bernie. So no. Hillary really isn't all that popular.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Unless you were born at the end of the Trump presidency, and I'm not sure how we could be having this conversation, I can't see how that could possibly be true.

It's a lot of what I said earlier about if everyone were actually honest. Trump says some stupid stuff and the haters in the press spin it in the worst possible way, and the haters in society are really eager to take it that way because it's confirming. And the lovers in the press on the other side try to spin it into some kind of genius 4-d chess play, which the Trumpers are eager to accept because it's confirming.

So. Is Trump really all that divisive? Well, he's kind of a narcissistic ass without a filter, but no. Not really. Not if you don't already believe he's literally Hitler. His policies so far have been pretty consistent with traditional American policies, except for the last 8 years.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's a lot of what I said earlier about if everyone were actually honest. Trump says some stupid stuff and the haters in the press spin it in the worst possible way, and the haters in society are really eager to take it that way because it's confirming. And the lovers in the press on the other side try to spin it into some kind of genius 4-d chess play, which the Trumpers are eager to accept because it's confirming.

So. Is Trump really all that divisive? Well, he's kind of a narcissistic ass without a filter, but no. Not really. Not if you don't already believe he's literally Hitler. His policies so far have been pretty consistent with traditional American policies, except for the last 8 years.

The words that come out of an president's mouth can be just as divisive as any policy... and the words that have come out of this president's mouth have far and away surpassed the his predecessor, so far as being divisive.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

I have wanted to address this with you but never had a good chance. What do you mean by "Divisive"?

I'm having a hard time framing my perception is such a way where I can see Trump as less divisive than Obama, and I can't get there...and Obama as the most divisive president ever? More divisive than Lincoln?

I think this may be one of those times where defining and agreeing on terms may be necessary. How do you frame the idea of "Divisive"?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have wanted to address this with you but never had a good chance. What do you mean by "Divisive"?

I'm having a hard time framing my perception is such a way where I can see Trump as less divisive than Obama, and I can't get there...and Obama as the most divisive president ever? More divisive than Lincoln?

I think this may be one of those times where defining and agreeing on terms may be necessary. How do you frame the idea of "Divisive"?

I said most divisive in my lifetime, although, I forgot about Johnson. He was more divisive.

Obama was divisive. His presidency reads like Rules for Radicals. Starting with bitter-clingers. While some of Trump's language can be interpreted in ideological language as divisive, divisive policies IS ACTUALLY MORE DIVISIVE.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    THINGS THAT BRING US TOGETHER....

You didn't build that.
    If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor.
    Typical white people.
    We are going to bankrupt coal companies.
    We are going to spread your wealth around, take it from the workers and give it to the leaches.
    Republicans need to sit in the back of the bus.
    Bitter clingers with their guns and religion.
    The police acted stupidly.
    2nd Amendment is bad I'm going to cry about not being able to take it away.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I said most divisive in my lifetime, although, I forgot about Johnson. He was more divisive.

Obama was divisive. His presidency reads like Rules for Radicals. Starting with bitter-clingers. While some of Trump's language can be interpreted in ideological language as divisive, divisive policies IS ACTUALLY MORE DIVISIVE.

And Trump has a son, and he doesn't look like Trayvon

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You didn't build that.
    Typical white people.
    We are going to spread your wealth around, take it from the workers and give it to the leaches.

You left off "If I had a son..."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Trumpfanboi: "Obama's SIG smells WAY worse."
    Obamamaniac: "No way, Trump's SIG smells WAY worse."

Do we really need to continue past that?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

So, I asked you to define your use of “divisive”. You responded by reiterating your position that Obama was divisive...without explaining what you mean.

I ask because “divisive” gets thrown around a lot in the conservosphere as a placeholder for “things conservatives don’t like”. When you say “Obama was divisive” I hear “Obama caused this divide”, when more often I think the truth is closer to: “Obama stands on the opposite side of a divide from me”.

You didn't build that.
    Typical white people.

And here we have a perfect illustration about my point. This is a list of things conservatives don’t like, not a list of divisive acts...at least not as I understand “divisive”. We could easily come up with a similar list for GWB...how was he any less divisive?

The loss of privilege feels like oppression...but it isn’t. This looks very similar to me...after Bush, conservatives lost control of the National political narrative, and they seem to view any message that doesn’t give their position lip service as divisive. At least that’s the way it looks to me, and why I ask for clarification.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    And here we have a perfect illustration about my point. This is a list of things conservatives don’t like, not a list of divisive acts...at least not as I understand “divisive”. We could easily come up with a similar list for GWB...how was he any less divisive?

No, just no.

"Typical white people" is not divisive?
    "bitter clingers" is not divisive?
    "If I had a son he would look like Trayvon"?
    "The police acted stupidly"?

Those are things to "bring us together"?

What would be a divisive act in your eyes?

Also, Please get me a comparable list from GWB.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I ask because “divisive” gets thrown around a lot in the conservosphere as a placeholder for “things conservatives don’t like”. When you say “Obama was divisive” I hear “Obama caused this divide”, when more often I think the truth is closer to: “Obama stands on the opposite side of a divide from me”.And here we have a perfect illustration about my point. This is a list of things conservatives don’t like, not a list of divisive acts...at least not as I understand “divisive”. We could easily come up with a similar list for GWB...how was he any less divisive?

With me it was the "bitter clingers" comment....I know it was said in a room of like minded folks but it really rubbed me the wrong way...

I am just speaking for myself...Not Jamil....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Divisive stuff like...
    -calling for a ban of all Muslims
    -saying that Jewish people are "good negotiators"
    -saying that he prefers soldier that weren't captured
    -referring to NFL players as SOBs because they didn't stand for the anthem
    -calling Mexican immigrants rapists, drug dealers, and generally crime prone
    -referring to nations that a number of Americans have heritage ****holes
    -"good people" on both sides
    -Calling the FBI "a disgrace" (only using this one because of the Obama "act stupidly")
    -recounting the Pocahontas story while "honoring" a group of Native Americans

...This is from candidacy to present... still have potentially, 6.5 years to go. I sure this list will expand a fair bit.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Okay, using your list as a model...

”you’re doing a hell of a job, Brownie”
    ”we need to invade Iraq”
    ”these ‘banks’ are too big to fail”
    ”mission accomplished”

Your definition of divisive appears to be: “he said things I don’t like”. By that definition, every public speaker that ever lived is divisive to someone.

Without definition, the term is meaningless as a descriptor.

I’m not claiming that Obama wasn’t divisive. I am trying to get you to define the actual features of his divisiveness, so that they can be compared to others to determine a standard and hierarchy of divisiveness.

Otherwise, contextually, divisive becomes a placeholder for “anyone who disagrees with me”.

Top Bottom