Traveling to South Carolina and want to double check gun law compliance.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a family event coming up in South Carolina soon. I've checked the reciprocity maps and it doesn't look like I can legally carry there with my one and only IN resident carry permit. If that's legally out of the question, what's the next best option? I haven't seen anything saying I couldn't have a pistol in the vehicle, but that doesn't mean it's ok.

I'm assuming at a minimum I'd be able to get away with either a henry survival 22lr in the vehicle or a savage 42 takedown, since the guns are rifles and wouldn't be assembled.

I'm traveling with my family, and don't want to leave their safety to chance, so I'm confirming what's legal and what's not.

The route will either be driving through IN, OH, WV, Virginia, NC, to SC or IN, OH, KY, TN, NC, SC. The times are pretty close, so any suggestions on more freedom friendly states to travel through.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I visited union, SC last summer and the last rest area before hitting the border I locked up my pistol. Ironically, SC is the only place where i really wanted to have it handy.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You are correct that under the current law in SC, there is no reciprocity with IN and there is no way for a non-resident to get a permit. The only option is to own property in SC and then you can take the training and get a permit. I like the Handgunlaw.us for a quick reference for the stuff you need to know. I have a family member in SC and visit there often. You can go all the way to the NC state line but then you need to put it in a case and transport it legally. Of course at your destination you can transport the cased handgun to the hotel or place you are staying and keep it on your person there. But you cannot carry if openly or CCW in public.

Note that there is a proposal in the SC govt. this year to change the law to either recognize all other states' permits or permit constitutional carry but I don't believe that's been approved as yet.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I contacted the family member in SC and asked him about what my options were and he said that I could have the pistol loaded and in the car so long as it's in a console or something like that.

His advice doesn't exactly jive with everything I've been reading and that's why I tend to double check all my sources.

Per this website: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

Under this section: "RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License" I'd say he's probably right. It just amazes me that in this day and age states won't recognize each others carry permits, but will recognize without question a drivers license.

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Maybe I can get my brother to give a small section of land!

If you read the SC law, there is no minimum property ownership requirement. So you could own a square foot, as long as it's a legally identifiable piece of property that you pay property taxes on, and you have what you need to apply for a SC permit. I've sometimes considered buying an acre of land and offering deeds to square feet of it. My guess, however, is that there is not enough demand and I'd end up losing my shorts on that deal.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you read the SC law, there is no minimum property ownership requirement. So you could own a square foot, as long as it's a legally identifiable piece of property that you pay property taxes on, and you have what you need to apply for a SC permit. I've sometimes considered buying an acre of land and offering deeds to square feet of it. My guess, however, is that there is not enough demand and I'd end up losing my shorts on that deal.

You may be able to become a millionaire overnight with that idea.

1 acre equals 43,560 sq ft according to google. Buy a single $10,000 acre (for easy math). Sell parcels of 1sq ft to proud new owners for $10 each and that one acre could potentially add up to $435,600. That might be the best acre you ever bought.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Yes, I've considered it but the real question is HOW many people would actually go through the trouble and expense of acquiring the property, taking the require SC handgun training, applying and paying for the SC permit. I'm hoping that the reciprocity passes the SC legislature this year and it will be a moot point.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Personally I've got my fingers crossed for nationwide constitutional carry for a right that never should have been taken away from us in the first place.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    *Starts looking for time share information / deed*

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I saw an article regarding reciprocity. I was surprised to see they don't honor more permits.

Really glad my license is good there.

Which license is that? If you mean your IN LTCH, it is not. If you mean another state's non-resident license, it is not as you don't live there. If you actually live outside of Indiana, it might be valid there, and I'd not try to tell you differently. I just don't want to see anyone jammed up if it can be avoided.

Bleasings,
    Bill

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Indeed! To quote the handgunlaw.us site for SC:

South Carolina Does Not Honor Non-Resident Permits/Licenses. You must be a resident of the statethey honor for your permit to be valid in South Carolina.

So if you live in Indiana, have an Indiana LTCH there is no non-resident permit that will allow you to carry in SC.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Which license is that? If you mean your IN LTCH, it is not. If you mean another state's non-resident license, it is not as you don't live there. If you actually live outside of Indiana, it might be valid there, and I'd not try to tell you differently. I just don't want to see anyone jammed up if it can be avoided.

Bleasings,
    Bill
    Mine is a Tennessee resident Hand Gun Carry Permit So I am good to go. We used to live in Porter county before we moved for a better job

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If we had a training requirement for our license they [strike]would[/strike] might honor it. Or so everything I have read says.

FTFY. There are no guarantees. Too, why should our laws become more restrictive because of another state's closed-mindedness? Should we stop issuing LTCH to 18-, 19-, and 20-year-olds so that Washington State might recognize us? (really! that's the only reason they say they don't recognize our LTCH!)

Mine is a Tennessee resident Hand Gun Carry Permit So I am good to go. We used to live in Porter county before we moved for a better job

Then indeed, it appears you are good to go, sir. Congrats on the better job!

Blessings,
    Bill

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    FTFY. There are no guarantees. Too, why should our laws become more restrictive because of another state's closed-mindedness? Should we stop issuing LTCH to 18-, 19-, and 20-year-olds so that Washington State might recognize us? (really! that's the only reason they say they don't recognize our LTCH!)

Then indeed, it appears you are good to go, sir. Congrats on the better job!

Blessings,
    Bill
    Thanks the better Job thing has actually caused some complications.... Now instead of wanting a new 1911 and knowing its out of reach now I research the daylights out of it and him and haw about it,then feel like I shouldn't spend the money on it even though we can afford it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I called the south Carolina police department of the town we're heading to and they redirected me to call the South Carolina S.L.E.D., and long story short, once I get into South Carolina the pistol had better be unloaded, ando the magazine in a separate compartment.

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of pistol; exceptions.
    It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any pistol, whether concealed or not, except as follows:

(9) Any person in a vehicle where the pistol is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, or closed trunk.

Top Bottom