• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I know nobody that simply neck sizes cases anymore. The risk vs. reward is too great. The loaded cartridge MUST chamber smoothly, every time! Most use some form of full length resize with a neck bushing to control bullet grip.
    Don't over analyze reloading until you learn how to shoot this rifle. Buy 100 rounds of factory ammo and shoot it sparingly. Dryfire in position 10:1 live fire. Fix/adjust your rifle. You may need to move your scope, get the trigger adjusted, etc.
    Don't lie to yourself and say that would have been a good shot when obviously you yanked the trigger and now you are pointed in the 6 ring when you started in the 10 ring.
    Have fun with this, it is a Rabbit hole!

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Properly adjusted dies when reloading for a bolt action should only be bumping the shoulder back 0.001-0.002" when resizing. 0.004-0.005" for a semi-auto. The whole "touch the shellholder + 1/4 turn" thing you find in the die directions is to be safe if you don't have a headspace comparator to measure shoulder bump. If you don't have the Hornady kit (or one similar to it), you should get one. Its a great, simple tool.

The issue with overworking brass and causing case head separations is due to bumping the shoulder back too far, which then allows the brass to stretch too far the next time it's fired. When it stretches, its not going to do it u informed from the heck to the head, it will be concentrated in one area...3-4 cycles of that, and you'll get case head separation. Not good.

Zero reason to only neck size....full length sizing with 0.001-0.002" shoulder bump is the way to go. Watch an Erik Cortina video on full length vs. neck sizing when he asks multiple top flight F-class guys what they do.

Orezona

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2021
    Indiana
    I think I've watched every reloading video EC has on-line. The guy is an open book on what he does. That said, my best accuracy and SD's come from a Redding Body Die bumping .003 followed by a Lee Collet Die.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I anneal and full length size every firing then use a mandrel to precisely open the neck. By using the mandrel it lowered the ES and SD to single digit in my 6.5 creedmoor.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My 308 Ruger PR I used to neck size only many times.
    Anymore I just full length size 308-win so they operate in my semiautomatic rifles as well.

My son's 338 Lapua Magnum wants its brass full length sized each time. I tried neck size only but it doesn't work well. They fit but are very tight. So I just full length size them every time now. My neck die is RCBS for the 338 LM. The full length die set is Hornady Custom.

Top Bottom