• ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    mine gives awesome smoke flavor. RT-700 :dunno:

Mine too.

I do use a smoke tube if I am cooking above 250 degrees.

The Rec Tecs have a setting called extreme smoke. They run at 180 and pour out smoke like Cheech and Chong's van.

And this smoke ring tastes like it looks...

QiW1YMxl.jpg

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    OP, you didn't mention if you currently have a kettle style grill, ie weber. If you do you can test out how a Weber Smokey Mountain would work. Set up your kettle style for indirect and see how much you have to watch it. Now a WSM has a bigger charcoal basket for a longer cook but you would still need to check temp and charcoal every hour depending on outside conditions.
    At one time I had 3 22in Weber kettles and would smoke in one and grill with the other 2 at the same time. I now have 1 18in WSM and 2 22in kettles. The 18in WSM is the perfect size for me since it does have 2 cooking surfaces. Every time we are out and see the 3 different size WSM side by side I still think the 18in is the perfect one for me.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Mine too.

I do use a smoke tube if I am cooking above 250 degrees.

The Rec Tecs have a setting called extreme smoke. They run at 180 and pour out smoke like Cheech and Chong's van.

And this smoke ring tastes like it looks...

QiW1YMxl.jpg

I haven't gotten a smoke tube yet. Need to look into one.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I haven't gotten a smoke tube yet. Need to look into one.

I just have a $6 one off Amazon. Works great.

The one thing I don't love about my Rec Tec is that there's no easy way to empty the pellet hopper. And since I'm lazy, I don't want to be constantly changing to different flavored pellets. So I buy hardwood blend pellets in bulk. Like maple, oak, hickory or oak, hickory, cherry. These provide very mild smoke flavor. If I want to change it up, I fill the smoke tube with straight pellets, like hickory, mesquite, pecan, cherry, apple, etc.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    [/QUOTE]The one thing I don't love about my Rec Tec is that there's no easy way to empty the pellet hopper. And since I'm lazy, I don't want to be constantly changing to different flavored pellets. So I buy hardwood blend pellets in bulk. Like maple, oak, hickory or oak, hickory, cherry. These provide very mild smoke flavor. If I want to change it up, I fill the smoke tube with straight pellets, like hickory, mesquite, pecan, cherry, apple, etc.[/QUOTE]

I bought a cheap small shopvac that I dedicated to this problem. When I want to change the smoke flavor, I just vacuum them and dump them back into the bag. Makes for quick work of clearing the hopper.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I get plenty of smoke flavor out of my Green Mountain pellet grill. I always start my meat at 180 and let it soak in some smoke, then depending on the meat I will turn it up to cooking temp after so long. For chicken I do about 20 minutes at 150, for butts and briskets I do about 2 hours at 180.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    As a prior Traeger owner, I would pass. For years, they've relied on their name and haven't made any significant changes but they sure jacked up their price. Yoder makes an awesome unit, but they are expensive. However, I can easily get 700-750 degrees on it and still maintain 225-250 for smoking. The other day, I set it at 150 and it held well which is something my Traeger could never do.

For a cheaper option, Lowe's has the Oklahoma Joe. My daughter has one and has been happy. It gets more temperature swings, but it still does a good job. It also has a searing zone which works well.

This what I have as well. Does require a little work but I like it. Makes the best chicken, sear it a couple minutes then into the smoker section.
    Also have a ceramic smoker, works very well.

Don

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The one thing I don't love about my Rec Tec is that there's no easy way to empty the pellet hopper. And since I'm lazy, I don't want to be constantly changing to different flavored pellets. So I buy hardwood blend pellets in bulk. Like maple, oak, hickory or oak, hickory, cherry. These provide very mild smoke flavor. If I want to change it up, I fill the smoke tube with straight pellets, like hickory, mesquite, pecan, cherry, apple, etc.[/QUOTE]

I bought a cheap small shopvac that I dedicated to this problem. When I want to change the smoke flavor, I just vacuum them and dump them back into the bag. Makes for quick work of clearing the hopper.[/QUOTE]

i have heard of people buying the bucket head vac, that just sits on a 5 gallon bucket, for this purpose. I'm still figuring out what we like, don't know if i'll change often, or just stick with one all-around good one.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I think I've read all of the same forum posts as OP because I was also leaning heavily toward a WSM for the same reasons. In those very same posts, the guys that talk about pellet smokers mention the augers jamming all the time and/or the controls freaking out and ruining their cook.

From what I'm reading here, this doesn't actually sound like it's really an issue? Or maybe this is something that was once true but times have changed?

That was my only hang up with pellet smokers as everything else about them checks all of the boxes for me.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I think I've read all of the same forum posts as OP because I was also leaning heavily toward a WSM for the same reasons. In those very same posts, the guys that talk about pellet smokers mention the augers jamming all the time and/or the controls freaking out and ruining their cook.

From what I'm reading here, this doesn't actually sound like it's really an issue? Or maybe this is something that was once true but times have changed?

That was my only hang up with pellet smokers as everything else about them checks all of the boxes for me.

My pellet grill's control has never missed a beat. Set it at 250 and forget it. Once it hits temp, I might get a couple degrees of variation from the set point. And having wifi control is pretty sweet.

My one and only auger jam was caused by a bag of very dusty pellets that I should have known better than to dump in the hopper.:rolleyes:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My pellet grill's control has never missed a beat. Set it at 250 and forget it. Once it hits temp, I might get a couple degrees of variation from the set point. And having wifi control is pretty sweet.

My one and only auger jam was caused by a bag of very dusty pellets that I should have known better than to dump in the hopper.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info!

In regard to the wifi control, does it connect to your router so then its 100% remote from anywhere or do you connect your phone straight to it (like a GoPro that has a local wifi net)?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Thanks for the info!

In regard to the wifi control, does it connect to your router so then its 100% remote from anywhere or do you connect your phone straight to it (like a GoPro that has a local wifi net)?

Mine is connected to the router. I have an app on my phone that allows me to control it. On/off, temp setting, setting alarms for the two meat probes, auger settings, a graph showing time and temp of the set point and the various probe temps.

WJ0iAEel.png

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

one thing i've learned is not to open or close the lid too quick, it must create enough of a breeze to fan the flames, and then sometimes will get briefly up to 25 degrees over my set temp.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Mine is connected to the router. I have an app on my phone that allows me to control it. On/off, temp setting, setting alarms for the two meat probes, auger settings, a graph showing time and temp of the set point and the various probe temps.

WJ0iAEel.png

you can turn it on from anywhere after that.

Top Bottom