• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Mine (Z-Grils) is not great for direct high heat grilling, as it tops one about 475. Makes a mean no-flip burger though. It also does great with fish.

Anything that needs a good sear or crust goes on the infrared. That thing will hit almost 900°

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The more I look into this the more I'm convinced of the Weber Smokey Mountain. I don't think I want anything with electronics in it, and I like the idea that it'll run in any weather aside from nasty winds.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The more I look into this the more I'm convinced of the Weber Smokey Mountain. I don't think I want anything with electronics in it, and I like the idea that it'll run in any weather aside from nasty winds.

I can put a welders blanket over mine to help with the windy conditions

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As far as the wind, I have kind of a nice setup in that my pellet smoker sits on the lower deck (outside the walk-out) with the retaining wall to the north and protected on the west and south by the house and the hills from the cut. We seldom get wind straight out of the east. My pellet smoker sits next to the old trusty Weber to the right of the pic (taken a year or 2 ago by my son with his drone, before I got the smoker)..

back.png

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Forced into the garage this afternoon after the rain did not let up like I expected. Just turned the ceiling fan on out there.

Attachments

• pitt.jpg
      pitt.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 11

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Sounds like your mind was already made up.

I don't think I went into it with my mind made up, but I definitely had a strong bias towards the WSM. I looked at a couple of pellet smokers with my wife, but I really want something that'll still work if the power goes out especially for an extended period. I like the idea of being able to use natural fuels if needed. I really don't want to mess with a wifi grill or smoker, or want to plug something into the wall. I was really considering one of those smaller cheaper smokers at Lowes too because for $60 you can't go too far wrong.

Reading all the comments definitely convinced me it's time for me to get on the bandwagon. I'm just not really interested in something I'm going to have to plug into a wall.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    To each their own...

I'd rather plug mine into the wall and know that it will maintain the temperature that I want rather than having to constantly check and make changes.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The OP seems to have needed justification for his already set in stone purchase. The Weber is a decent purchase, but there is so much better out there minus the confirmation bias.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    To each their own...

I'd rather plug mine into the wall and know that it will maintain the temperature that I want rather than having to constantly check and make changes.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. But you can get a charcoal smoker that will maintain the temp and not have to constantly check/change. The one my BiL has holds temp very well, takes a bit of adjusting when you start but after that... It isn't cheap though, and it's a dedicated smoker nothing else. This is the one he has, he went with the upgraded insulation and once it's set it will hold temp for a good 12+ hrs depending on weather/temp with minimal if any adjusting.

https://shop.backwoods-smoker.com/collections/frontpage/products/g2-party

You’re right, you know?

For him yes, maybe for you as well. For others maybe not so much. I wouldn't mind getting one myself for some times, other times I'd still use charcoal. Heck I wouldn't mind adding a propane grill into the mix as well.

Top Bottom