• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I recently got a RecTec RT-700 and I really like it. It has a very large hopper for pellets. Can be controlled remotely. For long smokes, you can pretty much start it and ignore it. The phone app will alert you if the temperature you set it for varies too much. I used it yesterday as windy as it was, and it did just fine.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I have Traeger its been good but not great. I quit using Traeger pellets and only use lumberjack pellets now that helped a lot in my experience no more huge temp swings and it hasn't went out since. If I could go back I'd probably buy a GMG my uncle has one and its way nicer than my Traeger and features you'd expect when $800+ on a grill.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Rookie scores again!

Best pellets I’ve found, and also cheapest. Rural king has them for $8something/bag.

I bought a pallet of Lumberjack at $10/bag. Shortly after, rural king starts selling it. I'm still a little butt hurt about it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have Traeger its been good but not great. I quit using Traeger pellets and only use lumberjack pellets now that helped a lot in my experience no more huge temp swings and it hasn't went out since. If I could go back I'd probably buy a GMG my uncle has one and its way nicer than my Traeger and features you'd expect when $800+ on a grill.

I haven't been smoking long, but so far, i like Bear Mountain over Lumberjack. I'm still trying lots of different types of pellets though. Bear Mountain mesquite is in there now, and my husband and i both really like it. Lumberjack is good, though.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Traeger uses alder flavored with wood oil for their pellets. Tell your dad to try Lumberjack brand.
    Interesting, I will let him know. One thing about Traeger, they're proud of their stuff. If it's worth it that's one thing but dang.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I recently got a RecTec RT-700 and I really like it. It has a very large hopper for pellets. Can be controlled remotely. For long smokes, you can pretty much start it and ignore it. The phone app will alert you if the temperature you set it for varies too much. I used it yesterday as windy as it was, and it did just fine.

Outside yesterday? That's impressive.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I bought a pallet of Lumberjack at $10/bag. Shortly after, rural king starts selling it. I'm still a little butt hurt about it.

i know! My husband has been picking up pellets for me at RK lately, much cheaper than i was getting on amazon. i just don't like going out shopping all that much anymore. He gets restless on the weekend and likes looking for deals.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Outside yesterday? That's impressive.
    I know! I was afraid to get started, as we'd already last power once, but I already had some meat ready to go on. Once it got up to temp, it performed fine. It's slightly sheltered on our deck, and we have a little overhang, but it was still very windy there! I wouldn't have been able to do it on my gas grill or Blackstone in that wind.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lots of great advice guys. Thanks and keep it coming. Part of the appeal of the weber smokey mountain was that it was in the hundreds range not the thousands. I really don't want to drop $400 or more on this not knowing if I'm going to like it or not.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Lots of great advice guys. Thanks and keep it coming. Part of the appeal of the weber smokey mountain was that it was in the hundreds range not the thousands. I really don't want to drop $400 or more on this not knowing if I'm going to like it or not.

This is the exact model I have.

Z Grills ZPG-7002E 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker, 8 in 1 BBQ Grill Auto Temperature Control, inch Cooking Area, 700 sq in Stainless https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC2F1YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_R-RSFbCKWYZQF

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I haven't been smoking long, but so far, i like Bear Mountain over Lumberjack. I'm still trying lots of different types of pellets though. Bear Mountain mesquite is in there now, and my husband and i both really like it. Lumberjack is good, though.
    I'll have to give bear mountain a try then. Are they sold anywhere locally or do you order them online?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Not to discourage you, but if your looking for "set it and forget it". That's about the minimum that I've seen. Unless you go electric or propane. If you want a bit more hands on that opens it up. Just about any cheap offset or vertical will work, offsets have more versatility but verticals IMO and just MO seem to do a bit better for straight smoking.

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    +1 for the ease of a pellet smoker. It feels like cheating.

Just did some bacon-wrapped venison backstraps last week. So good.
    834300804713c558cc279e2aec15f362.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I bought a “Chargriller Acorn” from Menards ~6 years ago, and added a BBQ Guru fan setup. It’s served me well. Have the trigger right @ the break point for upgrading to Grilla Kong, will give other to oldest son. Everyone that has tried my ribs / pulled pork agrees they’re better than any restaurant. I’m biased, but I agree. Have also smoked Turkey, Ribeye Roll, and Brisket, all good. Have also turned up heat for burgers, chicken (smoke also), steaks, etc.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Screenshot-20201116-121933.png

I would say ZGrills 1st, then Pit boss. I only know 1 guy that has the Pit boss but he loves it and has had it a few years now, not sure if any members have one.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you spend the money for a quality pellet grill, you will end up using it more than your oven. For me, it's 95% pellet grill and 5% oven. EVERYTHING is better, even desserts. I spent $2,400 on my Yoder. The only regret is that I can't use it inside.

Top Bottom