• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greig

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2020
    Batesville
    Here lately I've been getting interested in getting a smoker for cooking meat. A neighbor made some over July 4th when the quarantine was starting to loosen up and it was delicious. A cousin of mine was also talking about how he does it recently. With a looming quarantine remote work at home it seems like it'd be pretty easy to get it started in the morning and glance at it through the window periodically throughout the day and have something ready for dinner. I've still got some venison from last year that we need to eat up before this years buck gets into the freezer.

The one I'm looking at in particular is the Weber Smokey Mountain. I'm not sure which size yet though.

Thoughts?

I have a Weber 18-1/2" Smokey Mountain. IF, and I mean IF you're going to purchase one of these, I would get the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) 22". You'll like the added square inches. 18-1/2" can be somewhat limiting, but okay if you're not planning to smoke large quantities of meat often. If you don't mind limiting somewhat limiting smoke surface and have more money to spend, I would get the Big Green Egg-Large (which I have) or the Xtra Large BGE. You can grill and smoke on a BGE, which makes it more versatile than a WSM. It will also keep your smoked meat more moist. I also have a Lang 36" Backyard Original. It has an offset firebox and burns wood (a stick burner). It smokes only but has more square inches of cooking surface than the BGE OR WSM. You must monitor your firebox about every 45 minutes to one hour, which consumes more of your time, unless you don't mind. If you want a dedicated smoker and have more money to spend, I would investigate a cabinet smoker, such as a 270 Smoker; although, there are many great ones and too many to mention. A cabinet smoker will consume much less of your time to "babysit" the cooking/smoking time.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Been using an Acorn smoker/griller for a few years. Pretty consistent with temps once you find that vent sweet spot.
    I have been told that if you want one that doesn't require much attention, just buy a Traeger.
    They are a bit pricey though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    need to vacuum or scoop out ash once in a while. a few times a year. drip tray needs to be cleaned before a high temp one or it can catch fire

I should knock the goo off sides more often than I do

That"s about what I do. I also run it up to 600 for a half hour or so from time to time, then vacuum after that- very little scraping after that, but not none.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Here’s mine not smoking.

gVDxQyd_d.webp

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Serious question, How often do you clean your smokers and how??

Not very often. I use a drip pan (that I will occasionally charge with cider or something if I want a wet smoke) that collects most of the grease. A bit of hot water and an abrasive pad on the shelves is pretty much all it takes. The fire box occasionally needs ash cleared out, but that's really simple, since it is offset.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Moody's called to confirm my bone-in breast for Thanksgiving day smoking.

I'm hoping (expecting) to see lots of pictures next week...

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    I have been tasked with smoking the Thanksgiving turkey on our Pit Boss pellet grill this year. First time for me smoking a turkey, any tips appreciated. Right now I plan on using Smoked Meat Sunday’s recipe....his tips and ideas are usually spot on.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Ok i have question It might be a Duh But i am going to ask it Anyways!
    Actually 2 questions
    Do Pellet Grill Do well For Grilling ? like Medium Rare steaks ,chicken, Burgers chops and such ?? and How long does it Take to get to temperature for this?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Ok i have question It might be a Duh But i am going to ask it Anyways!
    Actually 2 questions
    Do Pellet Grill Do well For Grilling ? like Medium Rare steaks ,chicken, Burgers chops and such ?? and How long does it Take to get to temperature for this?

my gasser had an issue and I've only used pellet for two years. did a lot of chicken and burgers. people do steaks all the time. reverse sear. get them to 120 or so and then crank heat to sear and finish

I bought "grill grates" for my built in NG grill. should get over a thousand easily. can't wait to do a steak. I'll go at 200 or so to get flavor and then finish on the gas

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It depends...

My Traeger never got over 500. My Yoder easily gets 750+. My daughter's oklahoma Joe gets 650+. My dad's rectec gets 600. As far as time to get to temp, weather plays a part. If it's cold and windy, it's going to take longer depending on the brand. My Yoder isn't affected as much because it's built out of 10 gauge steel. My Traeger isn't affected at all because it's double wall insulated. The thinner wall grills have more struggle.

Hoosierdoc mentioned these. https://www.grillgrate.com/?gclid=C...WIPJYwmO5qJUrc4DSZL35XNkvqEfc0KhoCW5EQAvD_BwE

They work well for getting a good sear.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As noted above, for true grilling on a pellet smoker, you need one made for direct grilling. I have an Oklahoma Joe's and it works well. A friend with a Pit Boss where there is a slide to open, he says that does not work as well as the shutters that rotate open on mine. Those are the only ones I have personal experience with on the direct grilling front.

Top Bottom