• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My pellet grill's control has never missed a beat. Set it at 250 and forget it. Once it hits temp, I might get a couple degrees of variation from the set point. And having wifi control is pretty sweet.

My one and only auger jam was caused by a bag of very dusty pellets that I should have known better than to dump in the hopper.:rolleyes:

Do you use a separate grill thermometer to verify that the grill settings are accurate? That's one thing I've always been curious about. Almost pulled the trigger on a propane smoker with temp controller but it had a lot of complaints about not maintaining accurate temps

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Do you use a separate grill thermometer to verify that the grill settings are accurate? That's one thing I've always been curious about. Almost pulled the trigger on a propane smoker with temp controller but it had a lot of complaints about not maintaining accurate temps

I did verify it with a secondary termometer when I got. There is a process for calibrating the probes.

Mine was on the money.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Mine is connected to the router. I have an app on my phone that allows me to control it. On/off, temp setting, setting alarms for the two meat probes, auger settings, a graph showing time and temp of the set point and the various probe temps.

That's pretty rad... I'm gonna have to continue to think on this now.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I will add one drawback that applies to my pellet grill specifically; it will only hit 500 degrees at the top end. And it takes a good half hour to get there, even when it's warm outside.

This doesn't particularly bother me. I have a Weber kettle that I use to sear things on at high temps. But some people might be bummed about it.

I'm a little biased, but this is a great place to get more info...

Rec Teq Pellet Grill Forum

The site isn't affiliated with the company, so users can say anything they like, good or bad.

And just know, if you say anything bad, you're likely to get a phone call from a helpful, friendly customer service rep asking what they can do to make it better. That is if one of the owners doesn't call you first asking the same. They monitor all kinds of social media very closely. They don't want to see their reputation take a hit and they bend over backwards to make their customers happy.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In the grill I have, I can swing shutters over the fire box open and get the grate well over 650 (which is what they claim, but I have seen it at above 700).

[someone else's pictures, but this is what I have]

Oklahoma%2BJoes%2BRider%2BNY%2BStrip%2BSteak%2BDSC_0376.jpg

Review%2Bof%2BOklahoma%2BJoe%2BRider%2BDLX%2BPellet%2BGrill%2BDSC_0347.jpg

Review%2Bof%2BOklahoma%2BJoe%2BRider%2BDLX%2BPellet%2BGrill%2BDSC_0157.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You actually WANT temp swings on a pellet smoker. That’s how you get good smoke. I have a Grilla Alpha Smoke controller on my Z-Grill. It has a PID mode that’s dead nuts on temp. You could actually bake on the thing. It also has the super smoke mode that intentionally allows about 20° swings. It hits the high threshold, and then smokes like crazy as the pellets smolder until it reaches the low threshold and starts heating again.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    A smoker can be made almost out of anything. I prefer charcoal smoking and or wood pellets and or hardwood chips. For this the heat must cook the meat indirectly. Offsetting the heat from the meat will do this. The real answer is what is your preference, and go from there. I used a large 20-30 gallon steel drum to make a large grill / smoker. Indirect heat lets me smoke with it.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a Primo "egg style" ceramic smoker. Not as spendy as the BGE, but definitely gets the job done. I've cooked everything from wings, whole birds, ribs, brisket, pizza, you name it.

c6622f4594819c99683e5a8aad2c9eb1.jpg
    541a325e0fd8e5cd4f85bd9fd3850576.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I roasted some habaneros last year then canned them. After a couple months, I opened the jar and threw a couple in a pot of chili I was making. Wooeeee that was the spiciest chili I've ever eaten! Finally tossed the rest as I just couldn't decide what to do with them. Went back to freezing just the pepper shells instead - not nearly as hot.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    Got a Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 from Lowes last Christmas, love it! We use it several times a week. I have read that Joe Traeger now works for Pit Boss after selling Traeger. Traeger grills are WAY overpriced in my opinion, just selling the name when other brands bring same features and quality to the table.

Traeger pellets use fillers I believe and are double the money. We like Bear Mountain from Rural King or Dusty Dales from Stock and Field (if you can find them in stock).

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I had a Lemon in the Pitt Boss.2 igniters in 3 cooking’s and wouldn’t stay lit for a long smoke.

Bought a grilla grills silver back and haven’t looked back.

I like the charcoal hickory blend of pellets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom