This is why we can't have anything nice ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    It really sucks that you buy a house, keep the house repaired and looking nice, along with trying to keep your yard looking respectable. Especially with the drought we have been having.

I was fortunate to buy a house that's original owner put in a whole yard sprinkler system, covering all but the back 30 feet of a 1.2 acre yard, supplied buy two, six inch wells that are supplied by one heck of a underground spring.

The previous owner neglected it, and I never even knew there was one until we moved a discard door leaning up against the wall when we moved in. Two weeks of on the job training and replacing faulty/broken parts, I had a perfectly working sprinkler system that with the occasion head replacement, cost me nothing to operate it except electricity.

Last year in August it happened the first time, some one took offense to either my yard a being little too green, or they thought the sprinkler is on on Plainfield water and should be observing a no sprinkling ban (house is piped for city water, sprinkler is a separate dedicated system).

Well they struck again, sometime either Wednesday or Friday morning, they ran over the front three impact sprinklers and destroyed them.

Whoever did it, I hope you rot in hell.

Nothing like having to shell out 19.50 per head and digging up around it to make sure that the pipe is not broke.

So this afternoon I spent 3.5 hours replacing them.

I hope whoever you are, if you decide to drive back in my yard and run over them again, I'll know who you are. There ways to catch people like you, and you will be caught.
    :ranton:

Below is the three damaged impact heads.
    photobucket-663-1342401323887.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That sucks that someone feels the need to destroy something you've worked hard to create. What is the watering ban in your city like? Does it specify that you can water if you're using your own well?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    That sucks that someone feels the need to destroy something you've worked hard to create. What is the watering ban in your city like? Does it specify that you can water if you're using your own well?

I heard on the news tonight that the ban is only applicable to city water users in Fishers, FWIW.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I heard on the news tonight that the ban is only applicable to city water users in Fishers, FWIW.

I don't have enough water pressure to keep my lawn watered anyway, so I don't pay too much attention when they talk about the ban. I'd love to install an in-ground system for at least the front yard if I could get enough pressure to run more than one head at a time. And we didn't have a watering ban.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sad state of affairs. If I squint my eyes just right I could see where they might be prompted to come talk to you about watering. But destroying your property is another thing.

Sounds like it would be worthe at least filing a police report to document it, in case it happens again or it escalates.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Or someone living on higher ground whose wells have run dry.

Not much of a geologist but it's my understanding springs aren't much affected by rainfall.

We had our well to 150' which was 30' deeper than our neighbors. Strange how that works.

OP, why two 6" wells for 1.2 acres? I ran 3 huge sprinklers at 80psi from a 4" with no issue. Was one done later?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Not much of a geologist but it's my understanding springs aren't much affected by rainfall.

Not a geologist either, but geography was one of my first majors. Aquifers and other underground fresh water supplies are affected by rainfall. Maybe not by rainfall directly above the underground supply, but they are affected nonetheless.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Plainfield water, no ban that I have heard of, but they can't restrict me from using my own well. Heck when I hooked up to city water 4 years ago, they initially told me that I had to fill the wells and cap them. I laughed at them, an told them to consult their town lawyer because it was going to be a separate system.

sorry about your luck, but lucky you for finding the system. id love to have a sprinkler system but those things are not cheap

I don't have enough water pressure to keep my lawn watered anyway, so I don't pay too much attention when they talk about the ban. I'd love to install an in-ground system for at least the front yard if I could get enough pressure to run more than one head at a time. And we didn't have a watering ban.

Not as expensive as you think, just time consuming on the layout and putting in the piping.

Scutter, they sell a pressure gauge at Lowes and Menards that hooks up to an outside faucet, or a laundry faucet with threads. Check your pressure, along with what size your incoming line is. Should be above 60psi and have at least 5/8's incoming line.

If either one of you want some info on a DIY install, I'd be more than happy to help with some insight to it.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Did you put some spikes around the new impact heads:D

:whistle: Let's say I have to weed eat around those heads for a little while.

To my knowledge out of the 140 or so homes in my sub, 98% are hooked up to Plainfield water. As part of the FAA sound insulation program, the airport paid 4000.00 of the 5000.00 to hook up to city water. There's some really nasty tasting/smelling water in our area, along with a very high rust and magnesium content, so everyone jumped on that bandwagon. The only ones who are not, are diehard well water users and 10 or so people who have inground sprinklers systems. There is only one house that I know that had a well go bad, and that was one that was only getting about 2.5 gpm before it went belly up, I still think it was a pump gone bad and the hookup was cheaper than a new pump install. BTW, there is no more than 10+/- foot elevation throughout my subdivision.

Also to note, we also have a very high aquifer. My neighbor has a sump pump that has pumps 10 +/- gallons every hour out of his pit.

We had our well to 150' which was 30' deeper than our neighbors. Strange how that works.

OP, why two 6" wells for 1.2 acres? I ran 3 huge sprinklers at 80psi from a 4" with no issue. Was one done later?

Well as far as I know the wells was put in separate. The east one was for the house and the west was for the sprinkler, they are now "T'd" together.

The way this was original set up, 11 zones with 5 of them running 6 heads at a time, also one thing to note, sprinkler valves have a very high failure rate when pushed above 55psi, so I have mine set up to a 50 psi max. Single valves are the most expensive and hardest to install, especially when you have 3 per pit like I have.

When this was installed, it was not professionally installed. I think he had one of his golf course buddies put this in. Knew enough to do the job, but was not really on top of what the in's and out's was.

I learned fast and a whole lot thanks to interwebz because the only other was was to have to shell out some cold hard cash. :spend:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, caltrops or spikes will make mowing problematic if you have pneumatic tires on your mower. However, if you want some caltrops, I can crank you out a few. They're no problem; I made a few in a few minutes a while back that were absolutely scary.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yeah, caltrops or spikes will make mowing problematic if you have pneumatic tires on your mower. However, if you want some caltrops, I can crank you out a few. They're no problem; I made a few in a few minutes a while back that were absolutely scary.

Home made spike strips, laid out only when those heads are running. Lays flat to the ground and they are 3.5 feet inside of the curb. In order to hit them you got to really swerve into my yard, so there will be no accidental mishaps.

Top Bottom