• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Some people do find chambered, cocked & locked carry unnerving with a 1911 but one way to think about it is this: you have 2 safeties plus the trigger inbetween you and a discharge.

If you worry about the safety clicking off (which can happen in bad holsters or pockets) and then you only having one safety, then consider this kind of carry:

carry1911s.jpg

Notice how the retention strap runs between the hammer and the slide? That acts as an additional safety as well as keeping good retention. I have carried this way myself and felt very comfortable with it. And the additional time drawing from retention is way less than having to rack the slide.

Personally, I like the speed scabbards that angle the firearm forward as it really helps with concealment with an overshirt. I also like a retention strap as it gives me more comfort around children, especially if I take a nap on the couch.

You can get cheap used leather holsters on ebay. I have found plenty of deals from used police supplies as well. A very nice holster will run you $50 and be cheaper than the ones that you bought and hated.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Some people do find chambered, cocked & locked carry unnerving with a 1911. . .
    Yup that is a common feeling among some people. I find it odd because I've had people who carry guns like Glocks say that a cocked and locked 1911 is dangerous. I can't understand their justification, especially from Glock owners who have no external safety, a reasonably short trigger pull, and a trigger pull that is only about 1/2# to 1# heavier than a typical 1911.

The modern 1911's seem to me to have more fail safe features than any of the striker fired safetyless pistols on the market.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The modern 1911's seem to me to have more fail safe features than any of the striker fired safetyless pistols on the market.

I agree with you, but that hammer is just mean looking. Plus with a 1911 you can clack the grip safety along with the radio music beats! (I cannot be the only one who has done that...)

I only switched to a glock because of weight issues, not safety ones. I do use retention on that firearm as well.

At the same time, I respect the unnerving quality of cocked and locked carry. At some point it kinda became a "black gun" quality of the 1911 and added to it's fun (the "edgy" "evil" "don't mess with me" aura). Go figure.

JeremySmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Rolling Prairie
    When I carry its a fullsize 1911 in a Minotaur MTAC Holster. I'm thinking about trying a Kholster Full Moon, which is a bit cheaper. I've also used a Galco Fletch, while more comfortable, doesn't feel quite as secure as IWB carry and your pretty much open carrying. More important than the holster is a good belt. I think the only Uncle Mikes product that may be decent is one of their 1-1/2" belts.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I GUESS I HAVENT PUT MUCH THOUGHT INTO A GOOD HOLSTER,WITH THIS ECONOMY MY FUNDS WERE CUT WAY SHORT,,,,,TOOK A 9% PAY CUT,,,,,,DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO A HOLSTER BETWEEN 50-75.00,WHAT ABOUT A FOBUS HOLSTER FOR A 1911?ARE THOSE WORTH THE MONEY?

Paid $50 for my DeSantis Speed Scabbard , a very good looking, very comfy, very fast quality leather OWB holster.

Paid $26 for my Don Hume 715 IWB holster, which has all the attributes listed above.

This is my first Speed Scabbard, but I've had a 715 for a number of my guns. It's one of my favorites.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I GUESS I HAVENT PUT MUCH THOUGHT INTO A GOOD HOLSTER,WITH THIS ECONOMY MY FUNDS WERE CUT WAY SHORT,,,,,TOOK A 9% PAY CUT,,,,,,DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO A HOLSTER BETWEEN 50-75.00,WHAT ABOUT A FOBUS HOLSTER FOR A 1911?ARE THOSE WORTH THE MONEY?

I have this holster and have to say it is nice and comfortable. You can use it for either IWB, or OWB plus it won't kill the bank either. :)

Mason Dixon “EC†Hybrid™

Greg

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Some people do find chambered, cocked & locked carry unnerving with a 1911 but one way to think about it is this: you have 2 safeties plus the trigger inbetween you and a discharge.

If you worry about the safety clicking off (which can happen in bad holsters or pockets) and then you only having one safety, then consider this kind of carry:

carry1911s.jpg

Notice how the retention strap runs between the hammer and the slide? That acts as an additional safety as well as keeping good retention. I have carried this way myself and felt very comfortable with it. And the additional time drawing from retention is way less than having to rack the slide.

Personally, I like the speed scabbards that angle the firearm forward as it really helps with concealment with an overshirt. I also like a retention strap as it gives me more comfort around children, especially if I take a nap on the couch.

You can get cheap used leather holsters on ebay. I have found plenty of deals from used police supplies as well. A very nice holster will run you $50 and be cheaper than the ones that you bought and hated.

Tech:
    Which holster is that in your post?
    I have my Taurus PT1911 and a Para companion with the LDA trigger and that looks like it will work for either one. Does the retention strap have the metal recessed so it won't scratch the slide. Ever have any issues with sight drag or catching during a speed draw?

Thx in advance.
    Chris

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    First, you have the safety off in your photo. When I carry a 1911 (about 99% of the time I carry) it is carried with the safety on. Any other way is dangerous unless there is no round in the chamber and if there is no round in the chamber then there is no reason to carry a gun in the first place.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I was just curious if you really believed that carrying a firearm without one in the chamber was equivalent to being completely without a firearm? :dunno:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sorry for the threadjack, but I was just curious if you really believed that carrying a firearm without one in the chamber was equivalent to being completely without a firearm? :dunno:

It's not that it's the equivalent of not carrying, no - but it's not too far from it. This can be debated easily, but IMO, like I previously said, unless you carry for intimidation purposes, you might not be in a position to be able to rack a round in time in a real life SD situation. Even if you do have the time, you might not take advantage of it because you freeze for a second while being caught off guard.. or you have to fumble with the other safety or.. they grab your arm.. or....

For those who disagree, more power to ya. I hope you practice and get the racking of the slide down in a split second. If you can do it that way, good for you.

Just hope you don't **** yourself when staring at the BG's gun or when he comes charging at you. Wouldn't want all that training to go to waste!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Yes, assuming you have use of both of your arms/hands at the time. :D
    This.
    It's not that it's the equivalent of not carrying, no - but it's not too far from it. This can be debated easily, but IMO, like I previously said, unless you carry for intimidation purposes, you might not be in a position to be able to rack a round in time in a real life SD situation. Even if you do have the time, you might not take advantage of it because you freeze for a second while being caught off guard.. or you have to fumble with the other safety or.. they grab your arm.. or....

For those who disagree, more power to ya. I hope you practice and get the racking of the slide down in a split second. If you can do it that way, good for you.

Just hope you don't **** yourself when staring at the BG's gun or when he comes charging at you. Wouldn't want all that training to go to waste!
    And I've heard the explanation, "well, I practice cycling the action using one hand, with the rear sight against my pocket, or shoe, or belt, or forehead, or foreskin, or something."
    Ok, so your left arm is involved with the BG, and you're going to be able to use another object to help you cycle the action? Let's try a drill. We'll armwrestle left-handed, and when someone says "go" we both draw and try to shoot. I wonder who will win. (hint: today I'm carrying with 8 in the chamber. :rockwoot:)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    As to Israeli carry/Israeli draw, here is a timed trial of the method:

The Israeli Draw: A Timed Comparison

The results were as follows:

Standard method, first 20 trials: average = 1.52 sec, standard deviation (S.D.) = 0.05 sec.
    Standard method, all 30 trials: average = 1.48 sec, S.D. = 0.06 sec.
    Standard method, last 10 trials: average = 1.43 sec, S.D. = 0.04 sec.

Israeli method, first 20 trials: average = 1.81 sec, S.D. = 0.11 sec.
    Israeli method, all 30 trials: average = 1.80 sec, S.D. = 0.10 sec.
    Israeli method, last 10 trials: average = 1.77 sec, S.D. = 0.08 sec.

The data indicate that manually cycling the slide cost me about 0.3 second per trial, or about 20 percent more time than using the standard method. That was true of both the trials in which I didn’t try for maximum speed and those in which I made an effort to get the shot off as quickly as possible while still maintaining a reasonable level of accuracy. (Of course, the 20 percent figure is valid only for this particular test which was conducted at a shooting distance of 5 yards; longer ranges would increase average shot time and reduce the percentage that 0.3 second would add, and shorter ranges would increase the time delay percentage.)

Basically, it requires a second hand, increases response time, and decreases your carry capacity by one round.

That being the case, a 1911 on the hip in a lowered condition of readiness is far superior than the one at home.

I understand where the technique comes from (a compromise that allows citizens with less training to carry with greater safety, and I understand the attraction of the method as well (you MUST be comfortable with the firearm on your hip), but it does have it's detractions which are not insignificant.

Oh, and, as for the holster in the pic - I got it used on ebay for $25 shipped and think it was a desantis. I don't have it or the 1911 anymore so I cannot check. As for scratching, I don't know. I don't abuse my firearms, but I do not baby them either. Scratches I don't pay any attention to so I cannot speak to that.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    As to Israeli carry/Israeli draw, here is a timed trial of the method:

The Israeli Draw: A Timed Comparison

Basically, it requires a second hand, increases response time, and decreases your carry capacity by one round.

That being the case, a 1911 on the hip in a lowered condition of readiness is far superior than the one at home.

I understand where the technique comes from (a compromise that allows citizens with less training to carry with greater safety, and I understand the attraction of the method as well (you MUST be comfortable with the firearm on your hip), but it does have it's detractions which are not insignificant.

Also, there is the possibility of short stroking it under stress. Granted it is harder to do with a handgun then, say, a pump shotgun but it is just another thing that can go bad because the gun wasn't ready for action.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Technically, one in each of eight chambers.
    Smif 'n' Wesn 327PC. N-Frame, round butt, scandium frame, titanium cylinder.

I think I may have seen one of these once before. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back? I've been looking around for a 357 (SP101 mostly) and have been intrigued by the 327. I'm aware that Ruger now offers the SP101 in 327, but that smith looks pretty.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    sigh...........

i wonder how many hundreds of HOURS UPON HOURS the teams, units, and HSLD folks who use the "empty chamber" carry method put in? i'll wager a **** ton.

the odds yours going to get your gun into action in a situation which you will need it, without a loaded chamber are ridiculously low. 99.9% of people aren't trained enough to do it. doing it on a cold range is one thing, quite another when things go hot and hands are on.

i'll go out on a limb here and quess, the draw repeatitions you have put in to it aren't enough. or even close.

and to use something like "don't go anywhere where i might need my gun" is a direct opposite of the reason to carry a self defense weapon. if you KNOW there is going to be trouble, you shouldn't be there.

i can empathise about not being 100% comfortable "cocked and locked".... but its just teh same as any weapon platform. all the same rules apply. the gun won't explode or spontaniously fire without the trigger being pressed. unless the gun is in **** poor repair and not fit to carry. your gun looks excellent.

your comfort is above all most important. if you are not comfortable carring one in the pipe, don't! but please PLEASE put in the time to BE comfortable..... you life may well depend on it someday.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I think I may have seen one of these once before. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back? I've been looking around for a 357 (SP101 mostly) and have been intrigued by the 327. I'm aware that Ruger now offers the SP101 in 327, but that smith looks pretty.

Actually, it's .357 magnum. The model name is 327. Like the 27 and 627. It's a pretty big carry gun, but hardly weighs anything because of the scandium. I think 21 oz is the claimed weight. It's a little painful to shoot, but not as bad as the J frames.
    I paid close to 900 for it. It should be a bit less than that used. I bet there are more than a few who ran a cylinder through it and decided it was a bit much.

I wonder how many .327 federals you could get into a cylinder that size....

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Wait, you don't put a round in the chamber?

I guess you could always draw your gun and throw it at the bad guy's head! :D

Seriously, though. Can you imagine a scenario where you need to draw fast and the bad guy waits patiently for you while you chamber a round?

Not having one in the chamber is just slightly better than not carrying at all.

+1

If you are not going to carry chambered I recommend a wheel gun. Honestly, I'm not making fun of you, but what are you going to do if you are defending with the other hand and attempting to draw? I don't think saying TIME OUT is going to work.
    :dunno:

Top Bottom